PDA

View Full Version : RealTime Firewire output

topservice77
12-07-2003, 07:41 AM
I do a lot of DVCam works. I'm thinking to build a second editing suite with a VT[3] workstation. Now i know i can use firewire as input (with ohci cards) and can edit in dv mode with dv codec files. But can i export in real time using firewire? If this feature is not available, is there any plan to offer it in near future? When?

Thank you.

lipera
12-07-2003, 08:27 AM
you can output in sdi if you get the optional boarrd. Outputing in firewire would be great without having to rendering the whole project, however. Does anyone know if this is in the works?

Jim Capillo
12-07-2003, 08:27 AM
I believe it's in the works. Most folks are using the Y/C out right now.

ScorpioProd
12-07-2003, 10:19 AM
In the works, sure, but no ETA on such a feature. And you should never buy something based on future features.

Since VT[3] can render about 2X faster than real-time on a fast host computer for DV rendering, it's really not that big a deal to render your finished project to DV before firewiring it out to your deck with an outside utility. If that's what you want to do.

Harri Raisa
12-07-2003, 11:53 AM
What outside utility you recommend? I hope it's not DVapp.

Harri

ScorpioProd
12-07-2003, 06:06 PM
DVapp is a MS demo utility, nothing more, nothing less.

Frankly, it surprises me that that is what is bundled for DV output support in a high end product like VT[3], but it is.

I personally use a utility called DVIO, which is simple but functional. I got this from www.toastersupport.com at one point.

You might also want to consider other NLEs for this particular function, such as Premiere. I've used Premiere to put Toaster DV files to tape in the past.