PDA

View Full Version : Don't Understand This???

Tony3d
09-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Hi All, I have a lot of cables to do, and was thinking of sub patching them. I Made this as a test just to see how few polys I'm going to allow myself to work with. This was my method.

1. Created a disc with 12 sides, made to length.
2. Beveled the two end faces to the wall thickness.
3. Bridged the hole in.
4. Bandsawed the ends.

Then in Layout I conformed it to a curve, and I get this. There is nothing wrong with the model. All quads, merged points, no 1 or 2 point polys! What give?

If I boolean the hole in it works fine. Any help with this would be great! Running 11.6.3 on Mac 10.10.5. Thanks.

Be great if someone could replicate my steps to see if they get the same results.

Farhad_azer
09-21-2015, 08:56 AM
I replicated and everything is just working fine. I did use thicken though. perhaps the curve you are using is too complicated and has lots of corner.

JoePoe
09-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Hey Tony,

Well, I've got a bunch of questions. But instead I'm just gonna float a guess.

Looks like the interior (double sided surface right?) is not bending.
Bridging will give you long polys down the length with no divisions. Did you give the interior polys segment cuts down their lengths after bridging?
If not, I'd grab the loop of interior polys and hit "l" 4/5/6 times... or til you think you've got enough for the deformation.

Farhad_azer
09-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Oops I just found a flaw in my own scene too. the problem is related to the Range End under the curve conform IMO especially when the stretch is turned on.

Try setting Range end to a value slightly higher than the length of the curve.

Tony3d
09-21-2015, 09:12 AM
Yes, I figured it out just a minute ago. DuH!! Sometime I feel so stupid! LOL! I'm use to putting in the segments when I extrude the object. Some things are so obvious, and yet I miss them.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Do the cables really require interior geometry? Starting with this, they're just going to cause problems.

09-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Inner walls are necessary; otherwise, when looked at from the end you see whatever is behind/under it.
Needed for realism.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Since they are cables, there are usually fittings on the end.

JoePoe
09-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Inner walls are necessary; otherwise, when looked at from the end you see whatever is behind/under it.
Needed for realism.

Not if double sided.

But I do see the need for wall thickness up close to an end (end caps would serve this purpose).
In the case of just a plain end, only run the interior walls for a short distance if you want.

Tony3d
09-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Needed for realism.

Actually most of the cables I do either are bare, or have no connectors.

09-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Ahh...

spherical
09-21-2015, 01:34 PM

The internal geo still doesn't have to go the entire length of the cable. Unnecessary poly count if you can't see them.

Waves of light
09-22-2015, 06:02 AM

How did you achieve the cutoff/clipped look of the cables in the second image Tony?