PDA

View Full Version : LScript>>Python converter: any point?

jeric_synergy
09-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Using LScript Commander I generated this script:

@warnings
@name ToggleAll Chnnls

generic
{
MoveTool();
EnableXH();
EnableYP();
EnableZB();
RotateTool();
EnableXH();
EnableYP();
EnableZB();
StretchTool();
EnableXH();
EnableYP();
EnableZB();
MoveTool();
}

Which has got to be about as simple as it gets. However, the LS>Python converter did not generate a successfully executable Python script.

Should I just not bother?

ernpchan
09-20-2015, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't. The convertor is unreliable at best. You're better off spending the time learning the sdk and actual syntax than relying on the convertor that'll just produce gibberish.

I don't think any work has been put into that since it was first released so it won't even have the latest changes in the sdk.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2015, 12:31 AM
Good to know.

ernpchan
09-21-2015, 12:34 AM
Dissecting other people's scripts is how I learned. Once you get a feel for how stuff works then reading the documentation becomes less painful.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2015, 12:45 AM
My problem with the dox is there's no overview: it's all very fragmented. The Python documentation doesn't have a REAL Table of Contents, only a table of links that CHANGES with every page-- so one cannot get any type of overview-- that was not a very good idea at all.

A standard, traditional ToC would have essentially an outline form, so readers could have a sense of what they were going to read. As it is, this is just one surprise after another. Additionaly, the 'per page' ToC's scroll with the page, so very soon they are out of view as one reads down. It would be better if the per-page ToCs did not scroll with the content of the page.

Sadly, because it looks like someone spent a lot of time on it, but IMO that time was not spent wisely.

++
I've been attempting to round up and print out Jen's series of snippets, as I think she has a good feel for what users are wanting to know.