PDA

View Full Version : Lexx the series

CB_3D
12-07-2003, 07:15 AM
Lately i have been addicted to the series Lexx. A very different sci-fi series with LOTS, and i mean LOOOOOTS of very cool cg visuals. I really recommend the show to anyone here who likes Moebius comics or cool fx (anyone around here, i suppose;LOL).

However, while searching the net for production info i came across this:

"C.O.R.E. use some pretty heavy gear to create such a large number of effects (2500 in the LEXX series). Personally I thought that it was a little fishy that they could have done all that themselves on such a small budget ($12,000,000). However, the staff at C.O.R.E. use Silicon Graphics Indigo workstations and Prisms 3D and Alias (another Canadian company) software. I run a small multimedia unit with SG and PowerMac platforms and let me tell you I KNOW that C.O.R.E could not do half the stuff in the series. Until that is, I read that they had developed and used special custom software and a "render platform" enabling them to render images 60 times faster than the industry norm."

http://www.sadgeezer.com/lexx/lmakers.htm

What the heck. How hasn´t such a software not seen the light of the commercial day if it really does what they claim? Anyone know what this is about?

Anyway, all you sci-fi buffs, take a look at Lexx, you´ll like it...or hate it. Ohh, and the music rocks, too:cool:

Mylenium
12-07-2003, 07:43 AM
Well, I don't think there's too much magic involved...

a) All rendering is scanline only, no raytracing at all so it's pretty fast by the very nature of it.

b) Prisms 3D is now known as Houdini (for those that don't know) and was mainly used for particel effects (the destruction wave).

c) As far as I know, they only programmed a special tool to create the tesselations from their NURBS models, not a rendering tool itself.

d) Even if they used a custom renderer, it's nothing special. Students in computer science/ programming at one point in their semesters all have to write a simple rendering program (at least here in Germany). If you tailor this to the special needs of a particular production, you can make it fast as hell but it would nbe pretty useless for other things. Quite likely it was a command line tool specially tied closely to SGI hardware, so no wonder it never took off as an commercial app.

It's difficult to say anything more 'cos it's all pretty old stuff. In contrast to you I also think, it's a pretty crappy series (apart from the nice noir style)

Mylenium

BMG
12-07-2003, 11:52 AM
CORE did not do any of the effects for season 2 of LEXX or the last part or Season one. All the effects shots were done in Halifax NS by a company called CAGE Digital. I worked on quite a few shots probably 100 + over the course of season 2 and up. What we used mosty was Maya - Max and of course Lightwave.
I was responsible for pretty much all the background sets and lighting in the desert planet scenes plus moth animation as well.
Most of these effects were created on low end dual P3's and compositing was done in Disceet Effect and some Shake I believe.

We are talking about the sdame Lexx right?
Anyhow, I sure miss it, it was fun.

Brent

CB_3D
12-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi BMG. Congrats. I loved the desert planet scenarios and cities. Did you do the ballons too?

And are Zef´s lips digital, too?:D

"anything more 'cos it's all pretty old stuff"

Which still looks fantastic and still will in some years.

archiea
12-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Core is actually working on a feature length CG production... all done with Houdini... character animation, everything......

BMG
12-08-2003, 06:05 AM
I remember the first time I workrd with the actual LEXX model. In Maya, it was ported over from power animator I believe. What a hog it was and... a load of aliasing problems with the little metal balls on the head of the Ship.
As for the Balloon, it was modeled from an actual prop by a couple guys from Germany that previously worded for CORE. All the textures were taken from the prop. I used Lightwave on alot of the gack and desert city models as well as alot of background smoke effects. If I had it my way I would have used LW on the whole show...:)
At the end of the 2nd season I believe LW 6 just came out.... I was teaching it in house as an alternative to using Maya but there wasnt enough time due to production times.
Anyhoo, the team did get to meet the Lexx actors, etc. at a wrap-up party....Xev as well. :D

Later

mattclary
12-08-2003, 06:57 AM
This is very telling:

"The Third Series (13, - with options to 20 - 48 minute episodes to be released in 2000"

I think this article is a little old. I found it funny that he said it would take a PowerMac 48 hours to render a spinning apple.

-FP-
12-12-2003, 02:04 PM
This is an interesting topic.

About a year ago I was approached to illustrate a LEXX comic book by a jack cough very distantly connected to some performers from the show. The comic was to recap the last episode, then launch a series of new adventures. I thought it would be cool to build simplified models of the TV ships and cel-shade them as backdrops for the traditionally-drawn characters.

Long story short, the "comic book" was a waste of time which was apparently never sincerely intended to be produced. By the time I figured this out, I had already modeled some ships. No work changed hands, so at least I wasn't ripped off other than to have a little time wasted. Attached are some test renders...

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1u9mw/LEXX1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1u9mw/LEXX2.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1u9mw/LEXX3.jpg

BMG
12-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Hmmm... if memory serves me correctly.
I think I have most of the models stored away here on
CD somewhere...

I'll do some digging.

Brent

CB_3D
12-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Wow, that would be great. I would LOVE to take a look at the geometry of the lexx and the moths!! How many polys in the Lexx alone?

lord
12-13-2003, 07:13 PM
Cool! That was such a fantastic series! Really was quite unique.

I get kinda bored of the old sci fi tele genre, but that one kept me intrigued.

Good grief William Shatner, the CEO of C.O.R.E Digital Pictures Inc!