PDA

View Full Version : Distance Dissolve, but via nodes? / Spot info via gradient etc, no workee

jeric_synergy
09-19-2015, 10:19 PM
I thought I had a handle on this... :ohmy: :cry:

Attempting to replicate DISTANCE DISSOLVE, but Nodally, using the Channel Filter Node Editor available in the GE (since there's no node editor in the Panel Properties panel).

This would seem to be rather simple :

Get the SPOT INFO,
compare to the camera location,
remap via a gradient,
feed into the channel.

However, I've yet to get this to operate, even in a kind of test situation with wacky bands of opacity. It's either full on or off. I made sure I was using SPOT and not ITEM info, so that should be correct. I'm mindful that it's DISSOLVE and not OPACITY.

Can anyone spot where I'm going wrong?

(I want OBJECT DISTANCE DISSOLVE so that it affects all Surfaces on the object, or even new surfaces added later.)

dpont
09-20-2015, 12:28 AM
Whathever you do in the Object Dissolve Channel,
you can't get anything else than Object Position, not a Surface Spot Position,
in this case and like in a Motion node editor,
Spot Info term is a bit confusing..

That's a general rule with all modifier node editors,
their nodal access (aka Spot Info output) is limited to the modifier output,
which is documented in the SDK.
i.e: no normal in Texture Procedural, so no normal in the Texture Procedural node editor.

Denis.

jeric_synergy
09-20-2015, 09:01 AM
OY!!! Terrible news! But thanks for educating me.

Naive as I am, I figured all the nodes worked everywhere. :cry:

Is there ANY node available in the Chnnel which would help here??

jeric_synergy
09-20-2015, 10:59 PM
Also, Denis, is this something I, a non-programmer, could figure out? That is, WHICH nodes will not supply data in WHICH editors?

RebelHill
09-21-2015, 07:26 AM
The nodes do all work anywhere, what you're not paying attention to is context. Item dissolve is per ITEM not per vertex/spot... therefore spot info is clearly not the info you want there.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2015, 08:11 AM
Well then, is this just particular effect ("dissolve that is per Object/all surfaces, by spot") not possible at all?

The goal is to avoid applying to multiple Surfaces, and automatically apply to new Surfaces on the Object.

RebelHill
09-21-2015, 08:37 AM
By spot... no. because you are not applying a transparency to a surface, you're applying dissolve to an entire object. You're crossing contexts, you may as well well be talking about how to dye someone's hair per potato.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2015, 08:55 AM
So there's no context that includes ALL Surfaces of an Object inherently, but also has access to Spot info?

RebelHill
09-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Ofc not... have you ever seen a "T" button that lets you apply a texture to all surfaces? The context you're missing is in the tool itself... its OBJECT dissolve, clearly, it dissolves entire objects. Same way the move tool moves objects, not some vertices of that object, etc.

If you want varied transparency, that's a surface effect.

jeric_synergy
09-21-2015, 09:20 AM
Y'know, when you see the clever stuff that people get up to, it's not so clear.

toeknee
09-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Hey jeric_synergy, I am not sure I totally understand what you are trying to do but, You might be able to achieve it using Master Channel. This will give you control over any channel in a number of ways. I was recently working on a space scene that was a visualization of a real star field. The scene had hundreds of stars. The idea of the scene was that we would show the star field in different states. This means how man has seen this star system through time. So It starts out showing just seven stars and as the camera moves closer more and more stars appear. I achieved this by using six instances of master channel to control the Flare intensity of the six hundred lens flair's that made up the star field. This made it very easy to control the stars turning on to the position of a camera. I hope this helps.