PDA

View Full Version : Using align to path when the object stops for a while?

Spinland
09-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Is there a way to freeze an align to path object for a period of time? I'm doing some automobile stuff and in a couple of cases a car needs to follow its path, stop for several seconds, then move on again. The paths are kind of twisty and the issue is twofold: when it stops the object starts drifting around, and right before it moves again the lookahead has it changing heading based on further down the curve instead of moving out on the same heading it was stopped at.

I expect there's some clever and mainly easy way to get the behavior I'm looking for but I'm kind of stumped right now. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

jeric_synergy
09-19-2015, 07:58 PM
#aflw, I'd suggest as a start to play with the TCB controls to see if some mixture will work for you. Also, don't neglect the 4 (?) interpolation types keyframes can have.

raw-m
09-20-2015, 01:50 AM
I posted with a similar issue and found the fix was to simply add a key frame on the object I was moving at the end of the paths. So, move the timeline to wherever your car stops first, hit return to add a key frame to it xyz/hpb channels. Do the same at the end of the other move. That should be it. It's basically baking the new position/rotation.

Spinland
09-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Thanks, guys, on both counts. I'm usually pretty good at searching this forum via Google but on this account I came up empty. Probably just the wrong search terms.

That's an interesting approach, again on both counts. For some reason I presumed that once you changed from keyframes to path align the object would just ignore any set frames for that channel. No reason, just seemed that's what would happen. Soon as this set of renders finishes (I'm doing one of them locally, the rest via LWSN, so right now my Layout license is busy) I'll set up some tests and try that.

Thanks again!

raw-m
09-20-2015, 11:09 AM
Found the link. As you'll see, took me a while to twig!

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134997-Align-to-Path-flips-heading-at-end-of-animation