PDA

View Full Version : Creating a relief sculpture from a 3D model?

Spaceboy64
09-18-2015, 10:15 PM
I have recently been tasked with taking a 3D model, posing it in perspective view, and then turning that into a relief sculpture about six inches deep to be fabricated by CNC router, carved into foam or some other material. The client provided a cut-away illustration with some areas transparent, and said, turn this into a relief sculpture for our wall. I was partially successful, but I'm looking for a more accurate method, since the client provided a new model. Once I got the CAD model, in DWG format converted to something Lightwave could use, which was monumentally painful, (converted to STL then saved to OBJ in another program) I ended up using Blender's shrink wrap modifier on a flat plane using "project" mode. This accomplished what I was looking for, almost but not quite. The resulting model had millions of polygons, so many it bogged down my computer, yet I still didn't have enough resolution to avoid a jaggy looking model. I was able to reduce the polygon count, but I still had jagged edges.

My question is, is there a better way to accomplish this? I would like to depict the model in perspective, with objects farther away being smaller. My method didn't achieve this. See attachment.

Thanks,
Don

spherical
09-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Check into BlenderCAM. There is a Bas Relief option that will turn an image into a 2.5D carving. Or, you could do as you have and force the perspective in 3D, then generate an STL for it to import and create the carving paths from the full 3D model. No need to go the OBJ route.

Looks like Shuttle main gear. Is it?

djwaterman
09-18-2015, 11:55 PM
Is it possible using a depth map?

http://blendercam.blogspot.ca/p/bas-relief-addon.html

spherical
09-19-2015, 12:35 AM
That's what I was talking about.

Spaceboy64
09-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Check into BlenderCAM. There is a Bas Relief option that will turn an image into a 2.5D carving. Or, you could do as you have and force the perspective in 3D, then generate an STL for it to import and create the carving paths from the full 3D model. No need to go the OBJ route.

Looks like Shuttle main gear. Is it?

Thanks. I will look into Blender CAM and that add-on.

Force the perspective? You mean scaling the object?

I had to get to OBJ to import into Lightwave, or should I be able to import STL? I had to work on the model. It's airplane landing gear. Now they are going to send me a more accurate model, from TurboSquid I think, so I won't have to worry about being able to open it.

I had the problem of having too much subdivision in areas I don't need it, flat areas, and not enough in the highly detailed areas. Any way to remedy that besides what I did, polygon reduction after the fact?

Thanks,
-Don

spherical
09-20-2015, 02:41 AM
Force the perspective? You mean scaling the object?

Usually, 2.5D stuff isn't full depth. Doesn't need to be to get the desired effect.

I had to get to OBJ to import into Lightwave, or should I be able to import STL?[/quote]

LightWave imports STL. Unnecessary step.

It's airplane landing gear.

Yep. Seen it very first person; most notably under Space Shuttle Discovery when the brake assemblies had to be removed by lifting the Shuttle with the Rhino Jack, in order to be able to tow the vehicle to the MDD for mating with the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. The pads had fused to the rotors, due to extreme heating caused by differential braking to keep the spacecraft on runway centerline because of crosswind. Removing the entire assembly and replacing the wheels was the only option.

lightscape
09-20-2015, 03:38 AM
I do this often with zbrush and dynamesh.
Also doable with 3dcoat voxels. I just like zbrush better when dealing with meshes