PDA

View Full Version : SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE 9/18: deadline=9/28: "Music Class"

jeric_synergy
09-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Okay, okay, I guess I put this off long enough, and I'll try to get the particulars from the old threads about how the rules work, but let's start this thing!:

Theme!
MUSIC CLASS!
Any object or preferably scenario depicting aspects of institutional (i.e. "school") music class! I almost went with "Band Room" but thought it would be too much work.

LIMITATIONS: You must complete all geometrical/mesh construction in 120 minutes! I'll allow another 30 for surface tweeking! We're on the honor system here people.

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME! And don't you forget it!

CONDITIONS: Winning entries will include a 'final' render AND a wireframe render --this is mandatory. Also appreciated is a post detailing any and all techniques, tools, plugins, and resources used in the generation of your image. Also, running times are nice. You may optionally upload your mesh and scene to share and/ or allow other forum users to tweek.

Other threads detail how to get that cool "solid wireframe" render so often used, I'll try to find that link.

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have work in one block, feel free to break it up as needed, but do keep track. Again, honor. If you run over, please submit your work anyway so we can see what 120+30 minutes of work looks like. (However, you cannot win if you go over. Time management is also a professional skill.)

So, have at it!

hrgiger
09-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Other threads detail how to get that cool "solid wireframe" render so often used, I'll try to find that link.

Well if you're using LW 2015, its just a matter of checking a box in object settings. Otherwise, you have to use the polygon coloring plugin from here http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php

Slartibartfast
09-20-2015, 05:40 AM
Ok, I'll start then :-)

caustics
09-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Hi Folks!

I am submitting this quite exotic instrument to the "Music Class". It is called a Berimbau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berimbau).

The scene assembly consists of four distinct objects which were made in Modeler plus a ground/wall which has been created in Layout later.

Basically, the meshes were made from a Ball and Discs as well as some Curves with Rail Extrudes. With later bending, stretching and pulling into the current shape.

The modeling of the objects themselves did take two hours where the small 'Caxixi' consisting of multiple layers of 'wooden' rings 'weaved' around some arcs. Well this is just a rough approximation, modeling this alone to an accurate representation would take longer than the time limit itself I think. So I stopped tweaking that thing when time had run out.

I accounted the extra 30min for assembly in Layout. This does not include texturing. At this stage, it could have been taken to produce a cartoon like render.

At least for me, texturing alone often takes far more time than the modeling. So for the final render shown here, lets add another two hours. But rules are rules and so I think I have run badly out of time on this occasion ;-)

But it was a nice exercise. Hope this will go on for a while.

Curious what others come up with.

Regards.

EDIT: Added plain LW Render in addition to final with postwork.

LW Render:

Render + Post:

Wireframe:

jeric_synergy
09-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Ok, I'll start then :-)
good example of how simple it can be. Times? Cool surface.

Caustics: nice!

Slartibartfast
09-20-2015, 10:27 AM
good example of how simple it can be. Times? Cool surface.

Caustics: nice!

Thank you!
It took 2 hours including things like taking a coffee etc. Much time was spent on fusing parts. I was surprised that bridge tool didn't work on two polyloops, so I had to investigate other tools which didn't work either. I ended up doing it manually by stretching the loops to the same place in space and deleted them and merged the points.
The right parts will bridge just fine (due to the hole in the selection) but the left is no go. :bangwall:

Texturing was around 15 min, closing in on 30 min with testrenderings (tried delta and skin nodes, and wasn't sure they worked in VPR)

Good of you to notice the caustics. I thought it was subtle. :thumbsup:

jboudreau
09-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Thank you!
It took 2 hours including things like taking a coffee etc. Much time was spent on fusing parts. I was surprised that bridge tool didn't work on two polyloops, so I had to investigate other tools which didn't work either. I ended up doing it manually by stretching the loops to the same place in space and deleted them and merged the points.
The right parts will bridge just fine (due to the hole in the selection) but the left is no go. :bangwall:

Texturing was around 15 min, closing in on 30 min with testrenderings (tried delta and skin nodes, and wasn't sure they worked in VPR)

Good of you to notice the caustics. I thought it was subtle. :thumbsup:

Another way you could of used the bridge tool to fuse the objects together is the following. This will work with different size objects aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9YbdvMQJw

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

Slartibartfast
09-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Another way you could of used the bridge tool to fuse the objects together is the following. This will work with different size objects aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN9YbdvMQJw

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

Hmm, I thought I tried that, and it didn't work unless I deselected one edge, but now when I try it works perfect. 8~ Must have had bad geometry or something. Thanks anyway for showing! Good to know next time!

Iain
09-22-2015, 12:55 PM
Great to see this still going! Great stuff Slartibartfast and Caustics!
I'll try to get an entry in tomorrow.

hrgiger
09-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Bugle.

Modeling took about 30 minutes, most of the time spent tweaking the curvature and space between the tubes.

jeric_synergy
09-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Bugle.

That's a fine submission, but where's the "institutional" aspect?

Any object or preferably scenario depicting aspects of institutional (i.e. "school") music class! I almost went with "Band Room" but thought it would be too much work.

Oedo 808
09-24-2015, 01:15 PM
That's a fine submission, but where's the "institutional" aspect?

I would imagine whoever is learning the bugle, unless by institutional you meant special needs.

jeric_synergy
09-24-2015, 02:01 PM
I would imagine whoever is learning the bugle, unless by institutional you meant special needs.
As the judge, I can tell you that that is not enough. I mean a school.

hrgiger
09-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Not sure what you mean? Sometimes high school/colleges have drums and bugle corps. I mean, Caustics Berimbau is cool but how is that any more of an instrument that says institutional then say a brass instrument?

In any event, there's no need to be rigid, we should be trying to encourage people to be entering the speed challenges.

jeric_synergy
09-24-2015, 03:08 PM
In any event, there's no need to be rigid, we should be trying to encourage people to be entering the speed challenges.

Modeling took about 30 minutes, most of the time spent tweaking the curvature and space between the tubes.
Plenty of time to fill out that render.

Chris S. (Fez)
09-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Not sure what you mean? Sometimes high school/colleges have drums and bugle corps. I mean, Caustics Berimbau is cool but how is that any more of an instrument that says institutional then say a brass instrument? .

Hmmm. Nothing says "band" like a brass bugle. Maybe scribble on some "institutional" graffiti:129937

jeric_synergy
09-24-2015, 03:26 PM
Doodz: It's "Music Class". As per the description, was almost "Band Room", which obviously I should've stayed with.

I'll just explicitly say: an individual instrument does not meet the design goal. Which is why it's not a 60min challenge. Just 'pretend' I'm a jerkwad Art Director if you feel it's too rigid an evaluation.

hrgiger
09-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Hmmm. Nothing says "band" like a brass bugle. Maybe scribble on some "institutional" graffiti:129937

:thumbsup:

probiner
09-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Given the high standards here is my music class instrument. Wooden box. I had ones like that in my classes.
10min (darn normals dying on me) :p

http://i.imgur.com/nGnfz0O.png
http://i.imgur.com/EBR0C08.png

JoePoe
09-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Doodz: It's "Music Class". As per the description, was almost "Band Room", which obviously I should've stayed with.

I'll just explicitly say: an individual instrument does not meet the design goal. Which is why it's not a 60min challenge. Just 'pretend' I'm a jerkwad Art Director if you feel it's too rigid an evaluation.

:stumped:

So nobody has "qualified" yet?
You're looking for a whole room full of "stuff"??

jeric_synergy
09-24-2015, 04:09 PM
IMO, Slartibartfast qualified.

cue: the sarcastic overuse of Instancer....

Oh, and Probiner: no wires, no win.

pinkmouse
09-26-2015, 03:36 AM
Jeric, you're really not encouraging people to take part here, are you?

Just 'pretend' I'm a jerkwad Art Director if you feel it's too rigid an evaluation.

Yup, and I'm walking away...

unstable
09-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Well, I tried doing an xylophone and I went way over the time limit with that. Then I saw the posts and thought maybe this is more about atmosphere than just modeling. So these three models aren't detailed or even close to the quality I've seen here, but I created all of them within about 95 minutes to be used as props for the scene. Basic materials except for the IFW2 on the storage. No plugins used for modeling. Its really basic modeling and not really that good. :hey: I tried to create a scene of what it might look like after a night of jazz practice with smoke still in the air. The musicians are gone and so are all their instruments. :D As you can tell, I still need lots of practice but I'm open to feedback.

jeric_synergy
09-26-2015, 02:44 PM
So these three models aren't detailed or even close to the quality I've seen here, but I created all of them within about 95 minutes to be used as props for the scene. Basic materials except for the IFW2 on the storage. No plugins used for modeling.
Well done!

unstable
09-26-2015, 05:45 PM
I just want to say something in Jeric's defense. I've been in these forums since the last speed modeling challenges and I've seen almost all that commented and submitted entries here participate in those past challenges. These challenges do not have to be exactly the same as those of the past. I got the feeling Jeric is setting this up to be dealer's choice (winner's choice) so to speak. Maybe I just play too much poker. :DI'm no pro, but aren't models supposed to be created for how they're to be used? So if the model is to be used at a distance, then a lot of detail is a waste. Now the past modeling challenges wanted this detail in modeling because it was focused solely on the model or at least it was supposed to be. However, many times IMO the decisions of the past were based on the render and not so much the model. So maybe Jeric is trying to weigh how the model is used as well as how good the model itself is. This is just how I'm taking his comments. I want to see the speed modeling challenge continue, because I wouldn't have worked to create an xylophone along with the other models had it not been for this challenge. I'll even post the instrument in hopes of others who struggle to achieve their goals will also.

Disclaimer: I am recording Sarah Mclachan music (for my wife) and drinking whiskey to cope. So that has to have some bearing on my viewpoint.:hey:

Kryslin
09-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Here's my entry ... a metronome!
Surfaced:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-001-colors_zpsycvztghn.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-001-colors_zpsycvztghn.jpg.html)
Wires:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-001-wires_zpszhtndi2k.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smcv2-001-wires_zpszhtndi2k.jpg.html)

Modeled in ~ 75 minutes. Model is incomplete not because I hit the time limit, but because I ran out of free time to work on it. Figured I'd get it posted, at least.
(Only 'plug in' used for modeling was LWCAD - the line tool rocks for slicing things up accurately!)

jeric_synergy
09-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Nice!

Thirteen hours left to make your entries!

rifenbury
09-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Hey all,

I'm new here and think I'm still squeezing in just before the deadline. Modeling took about 90 minutes and texturing added maybe another 20 or so. I've been away from Lightwave for a little bit so it was nice to use this exercise to kick off some of the rust. I welcome any constructive criticism you have.

jeric_synergy
09-27-2015, 10:03 PM
Looks great! 3 hours left (I'm going by my time, PDT), crush in!

unstable
09-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Some pretty cool models guys!! Nice way to restart these challenges!

Farhad_azer
09-28-2015, 10:27 AM
This is mine. Naqara (similar to percussion).

It is very amateur and the respected referee was rushing (he had right to do that) and I was delaying. sorry if it is ridiculous. I only wanted to participate.

Next time I will do better.

JoePoe
09-28-2015, 02:29 PM
One instrument....... and an apple for the teacher :D.

2:15 model time.

jeric_synergy
09-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Wow, you modeled that violin in 2:15?

(As a violinist, I feel compelled to tell you that the corners between the bouts are in reality quite sharp on a typical instrument. Judging by the 3 in this room.)

unstable
09-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Your models are awesome as always JoePoe. Wish I had half your talent.

Iain
09-28-2015, 02:48 PM
This is all a bit 'Whiplash' compared to the old challenges. Is that the hidden theme?
Anyway, a rush job meant I couldn't tackle the model I had in mind. Story of my life for a while now!

Some really great entries-hope some of you get to be judged!

jeric_synergy
09-28-2015, 03:45 PM
This is all a bit 'Whiplash' compared to the old challenges. Is that the hidden theme?
Good one. I wish I were so subtle. Big J.K.Simmons fan. :thumbsup: Any other instrument and I wouldn't have a clue, but my violin was literally a foot from my elbow when I typed that.

(Boring geekery: Advances in adhesives have allowed luthiers to expand the possibilities of the acoustic fiddle-- some French luthiers have done away with the corners entirely. They are mostly there to add strength to the structure, and are no longer technically required. Such fiddles resemble little wooden pillows.)

JoePoe
09-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys :)

Clever framing can go a long way. The actual model is missing a whole lot. 130010

The violin body (yeah, I knew those points weren't going to be tight enough :chicken:)
But if you break it down, not that hard of an object. In it's most primitive state it's just a box with some sections removed.
After the outline is done it's a very simple cookie cutter thicken and presto a violin is born.
130011. The only difference between #4 and #5 is SubD has been turned on.

(for me the hard part was getting a smooth curve to the front and back faces. That's where I lost some time.
The linear falloffs weren't doing it right.... ended up going with a weight map.)

tommyc
09-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Great job on the violin!

My daughter plays the violin so I attempted to model one. Got frustrated and gave up.

rifenbury
09-29-2015, 08:58 AM
JoePoe - Beautiful and simple model! What did you use to punch out the f-holes in the top?

JoePoe
09-29-2015, 09:39 AM
JoePoe - Beautiful and simple model! What did you use to punch out the f-holes in the top?

Thanx.

"f hole" :ohmy:.... Sorry, I have the maturity of an 11 year old. They should've kept using "s".

Because of the time limit I went with a Boolean.
Subdivided the low poly main body once and then froze it. (Edit: Actually, on the render above I just froze the low poly. I was getting a couple render artifacts, I think, because the mesh wasn't dense enough. I had to add the tripling you see in the wires. Since then I tweaked some things and added the subdivision step before freezing and the render has no issues.)(edit2: you can also see faceting around the curves of the body.... definitely needed the extra geometry!).
Then used an extruded f.....Which, like an idiot, I made.... instead of importing some vector art.

In layout I used DP Edge node in order to get a nice "spec" hit on the hard edge :thumbsup:.

If I were doing it for realsies I would probably end up making my life difficult and go with all SubD ;D.
(not sure why though. This worked pretty well.... I guess it's because once you freeze and drill, making any changes becomes almost impossible.)

rifenbury
09-29-2015, 06:52 PM
"f hole" :ohmy:.... Sorry, I have the maturity of an 11 year old. They should've kept using "s".

Haha I don't know how I typed it with a straight face. I did also notice the faceting upon closer examination.

JoePoe
09-29-2015, 09:50 PM
While we wait:
threw on some procedurals. Waaaaay longer than 30 minutes.
This is after the additional subdivide before freeze. No facets here. Well, at least a whole lot less.

Jeric. Don't you have some business to take care of here?

jeric_synergy
09-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Geeze, nag nag nag.......

THANKS to everybody for participating! Some really nice work, I just reviewed them all and it was an inspiration. :thumbsup:

And the winnner, and NEW JUDGE/RULE-MAKER for the next Speed Challenge IS......

UNSTABLE!,

for his/her moody and evocative depiction! :bowdown:

Honorable mentions to Caustics, and Slartibartfast for his subtle Surfacing.

UNSTABLE, the scepter is yours! Rule wisely!

Kryslin
09-29-2015, 11:43 PM
This is mine. Naqara (similar to percussion).

It is very amateur and the respected referee was rushing (he had right to do that) and I was delaying. sorry if it is ridiculous. I only wanted to participate.

Next time I will do better.

If there is anything to these, it's the challenge to find ways of doing things in modeler under the time limit, and by the deadline. Sometimes, this forces you out of what your comfortable with, and gets you to try new things. As for your entry, it's actually pretty good; your wires are nice and clean, and you've used enough geometry to smooth it out without using Subdivision Surfaces. I look forward to your next entry, and how it improves.

probiner
09-30-2015, 02:05 AM
Congrats unstable, nice images :)

Slartibartfast
09-30-2015, 05:04 AM
Congrats !

OnlineRender
09-30-2015, 05:23 AM
congrats nice work, keep the ball moving , move fast pick another topic , the boards hot with all the 2016 stuff might get a bigger participation response.

Surrealist.
09-30-2015, 05:36 AM
Yeah I miss checking these out. I never have the time it seems to enter, but I like seeing the great work you guys do so damn fast!

unstable
09-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Wow, wow, wow!!! I'm so surprised. Thank you so much. I'll post the new challenge shortly. Thanks again.

jeric_synergy
09-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Yeah I miss checking these out. I never have the time it seems to enter, but I like seeing the great work you guys do so damn fast!
It's pretty fun! At the very least, the work is soon over!

unstable
09-30-2015, 08:36 AM
I've posted the new challenge. Hope you enjoy it. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?148271-%29-SPEED-MODELING-CHALLENGE-9-30-deadline-10-12-Door-and-Window-Fantasy

JoePoe
09-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Congrats Unstable! :thumbsup: