PDA

View Full Version : shooting Stereoscopic 3D

Philbert
09-18-2015, 03:18 AM
I haven't actually used it but I remember in LightWave 10 there was some news about a stereoscopic camera set up. Anyone know where it is out how to access it in 2015? I just got a Google Cardboard and I'd like to try making some YouTube videos that can be viewed with it.

Edit: Oh, duh. I found it in the manual. Anyone have any tips or anything then?

spherical
09-18-2015, 03:38 AM
Yes. Get UberCam.

Philbert
09-18-2015, 03:40 AM
That's great, I don't have an extra $70 after I just dropped $500 on LightWave.

JamesCurtis
09-18-2015, 04:11 PM
You can get good results with the standard Stereoscopic panel in LW if you need to save cash. I've set up a scene that allows me to create Side By Side [SBS] format frames which I assemble in either Quicktime or Sony Vegas Pro and render out as MP4's. I know it's possible to save SBS frames using Liberty3d's Ubercam plugin [which I do own as well], but have not figured how to get their Stereoscopic frames properly into Vegas yet.

Here's a sample frame from LW.

Edit: just reread the post and is not exactly what the poster wanted. Ignore if you want.

DrStrik9
09-20-2015, 09:24 AM
I use Stereo constantly recently, mostly anaglyph, which has become a sort of anachronistic hobby. But this would also work the same for your Google Cardboard.

My tip:
I use one null object for both convergence point and DOF, using Relativity:

Name the camera and the null in LOWER-CASE, a limitation of Relativity.
Null object name = focus-null

In Camera Panel's "E" Button: add Relativity Channeler, and by the "X:" type:
GAP(camera,t,focus-null,t)
This returns the exact distance between camera and null, which allows you to then animate both camera and focus/convergence-null with great results.

- Or -
If you prefer expressions (I do not!), the expression for this same outcome is:
vmag(extent(camera.wpos(Time), focus-null.wpos(Time)))

Philbert
09-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Yeah sorry I don't get relativity or expressions at all, it just looks like gibberish to me.

DrStrik9
09-21-2015, 12:23 PM
Yeah sorry I don't get relativity or expressions at all, it just looks like gibberish to me.

Yeah, without the Relativity Docs, it's pretty incomprehensible. Fortunately, I bought Relativity way back before it became part of LW. So I have the docs -- not that I understand everything in there. Prem (Rel dev) is a rare genius.

I tried zipping, uploading, and attaching a zip file of all the Rel Docs I have -- but even though the LW site says zip files are "ok," the zip file didn't show up. :-( If you want the Relativity Docs, just email me at drstrik9 at gmail dot com, and I'll send them to you.

Also, you can get great stereo (convergence point + DOF), just following the simple instructions in my previous post -- without needing to understand Relativity. :+)

Philbert
09-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Even with the docs I think I'd be lost lol I tried to learn it before and it just goes over my head. It looks like Java Script to me and I never understood that either, or any pother kind of scripting. I'll take a closer look at your post.

DrStrik9
09-21-2015, 12:36 PM
If anything is unclear, please just ask. :+)