PDA

View Full Version : Instancing question

Fotofashion
09-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Hi there :)

I want to make a pool with curved corners. Is it possible to have instanced tiles to follow the curves of the "cage"?
without the tiles being rotated randomly.

prometheus
09-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Not sure, doesnīt sound impossible, I think use polygons max polygons,
Rotation
Alignment- item
mode -target item (select pool object)
Target mode look at.

Your instance object should be placed at center origin in modeler..dont mess around with that, you can have it on a second layer for instance.

prometheus
09-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Uhhm...perhaps not, worked with a simple circular pool, a deformed curved one..not sure, donīt have time to check it further now though.
maybe with nodes.

djwaterman
09-17-2015, 05:11 PM
I take it there's a specific reason you don't want to just use a texture map instead?

SteveH
09-17-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm not 100% sure this will work but it's worth a try. You could have one object that has all the points in a row - and a morph target that has those points in a circle that follow your pool. Then (perhaps) the tiles would follow the curve of the pool. As I typed this I decided it probably wouldn't work - but hey it's worth a shot.

Shiny_Mike
09-17-2015, 06:23 PM
If the "cage" is polygons, like prometheus said use type: polygons w/ [x] max polygons. But for Rotation alignment, try: Normals and mode: Uniform. You might need to alter H,P,B rotations (90 here, 90 there) but it should work if your "cage" is polygons with normals facing in the right direction, *and* built 1 to 1, ie 1 poly per instance

Fotofashion
09-19-2015, 01:11 PM
ok, thank you guys :) I'll see if I can make it.