PDA

View Full Version : Fusion for LightWave Artists - New Video Tutorial on Liberty3d.com

djlithium
09-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Hi there.
Last night I released "Fusion for LightWave Artists" at liberty3.com
For anyone who want's to get into fusion but doesn't know where to start this video is for you.
Check it out http://www.liberty3d.com/2015/09/fusion-for-lightwave-artists/

djwaterman
09-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Hi there.
Last night I released "Fusion for LightWave Artists" at liberty3.com
For anyone who want's to get into fusion but doesn't know where to start this video is for you.
Check it out http://www.liberty3d.com/2015/09/fusion-for-lightwave-artists/

You guys never (or hardly ever) put videos or links to sample / introductory video on your site. Even a link to Youtube would be acceptable. Don't you think it would help with sales? I think you could do really well with this one, particularly if you incorporate some of the wording that was in the mailed out notice I got, there must be a lot of hobbyist out there still not quite understanding the importance of the compositing aspect of CG, and with Fusion free they just need to be shown the way. I think you should put out a overview video that sells the value of the series and gives us a taste of it.

jeric_synergy
09-16-2015, 08:22 PM
djw, I think RR does that very well, see his promo for "How to use Python" (or whatever the actual title is).

prometheus
09-16-2015, 08:35 PM
djw, I think RR does that very well, see his promo for "How to use Python" (or whatever the actual title is).

he does, like the showcase of cage and lattice deformers.

djwaterman
09-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Yes, Ryan does it really well, that's why I said ...hardly ever..., but I think this one needs to be sold better, there was some really good points made in the mail out that weren't used on the site, and there must be lots of users out there who don't even touch a compositor and are held back by trying to achieve the whole look at F9 in Lightwave. I remember that was me a long time ago, trying to achieve everything inside LW, until I discovered the joys of compositing. I don't use Fusion, but if I was starting out now and there was this A grade compositor out there for free, then a specific LW workflow video tutorial showing me how to use it would be something I'd jump on (and I may even buy this anyway). So I was just trying to suggest he put up something more than a few screen shots.

jeric_synergy
09-17-2015, 12:17 AM
That's cool: perhaps you can pm/email Kat about the particulars you think would better sell the product on his site.

No ideas but I know the idea of POST RENDER MOTION BLUR always gets me excited, especially if it can use the vector buffer outputs (he says, never having successfully used them himself....)....

djlithium
09-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Yes, Ryan does it really well, that's why I said ...hardly ever..., but I think this one needs to be sold better, there was some really good points made in the mail out that weren't used on the site, and there must be lots of users out there who don't even touch a compositor and are held back by trying to achieve the whole look at F9 in Lightwave. I remember that was me a long time ago, trying to achieve everything inside LW, until I discovered the joys of compositing. I don't use Fusion, but if I was starting out now and there was this A grade compositor out there for free, then a specific LW workflow video tutorial showing me how to use it would be something I'd jump on (and I may even buy this anyway). So I was just trying to suggest he put up something more than a few screen shots.

Thanks for your comments DJ. They're very much appreciated and you certainly highlight much of the benefits of the power of compositing which is why I produced the video. You have touched on a truth really is that many LW artists get super frustrated with the rendering and texturing process trying to make what we see in a movie or TV show come out of the renderer directly, not understanding that compositing is what really takes it all to the next level and that every shot on a show goes through the process.

To highlight what is in the video - I go over Fusion 8 in the beginning to describe how important understanding the preferences area is and how it impacts performance and general interaction.
Once that is out of the way I get back into Fusion 7 and Layout setting up an simple example that anyone can really follow along with covering the basics of how render buffers are produced and what they look like in comp and how they recombine (although not always possible due to LW's engine itself and how it makes the buffers in the first place) to replicate what you see in an F9 or F10/LWSN.

Using this simple example I get into more high level concepts but very important ones that once people get their heads wrapped around concerning the use of certain buffers as mask (Object/Surface ID for example) can make their lives much easier when looking to adjust certain elements. This ties into later demonstrations including that for motion vectors and dealing with refraction/transparent surfaces and how to deal with them even though you can't really go "back to beauty" emphasizing or complimenting what comes out of LWs renderer rather than completely reconstructing things to get to where you would normally start anyway. The idea here is to leverage LWs renderer to get you 70-80% of the way to where you want to be and take it the rest of the way in Fusion quickly while remaining flexible should someone say "can you change the color just on that object right there?" and not have to go back into render to do it.

This leads into real world project examples and I show how the shadow catcher node is really intended to be used when working with passes and buffers and how you deal with that material can open up all kinds of ways of making your comps pop without bending your brain out of shape. I do this by building the comp step by step in Fusion pulling renderings in from the examples as they are required to complete a shot.
I reverse this process in a second real world project example (The A-10s) so people can get a grip on how work flow in LW and Fusion together are adaptable and flexible, accommodating how the user works.

I also discuss in depth (pun intended!) the two main ways to use Depth (Linear Fog and Z-Buffer Data) to produce DoF effects in post but also how either can be used to adjust other tools in Fusion (such as color corrector tools).

All of this combines in a video title that shows how this stuff goes together knowing each shot is going to have different requirements and it's presented that way. In post production we never know what is going to be asked of us especially really late in the game as deadlines loom. The material discussed in the video I hope, gives LW artists a better understanding of how they can save their ASCII by taking advantage of LightWave's rendering technology even after the rendering is done for the most part and work with what you have, perhaps adding another pass using a buffer or two to open up new doors, even as trap doors try to open under you as an artist under pressure.

As I stated in the mail out - 3D Artists who also know how to comp their shots get work faster than those who don't even if they are not going to composite on a show. Why? Because shops, CG supervisors, VFX supervisors, producers - know what 3D artists who understand this stuff are able to provide a compositor or team of compositors the right stuff up front. This factors into everything from your surfacing, lighting, rendering, render management, data management, storage considerations, network performance and render capacity as well as labor. All of which costs money.

So I really want people to know how to take advantage of Fusion and LightWave - treating them as a complete solution for VFX for almost all situations. Add in a hand full of other applications like Syntheyes, RealFlow, Vue and a voxel modeler like zBrush or 3D-Coat and artists with this knowledge are practically unstoppable.

I want to see LightWave artists become that force again.

madno
09-17-2015, 01:06 AM
Am I assuming correctly that this tutorial would also be for somebody who has not yet really touched LW's buffers at all (except for trying to get a depth pass and failing due to antialiasing issues)?

djlithium
09-17-2015, 01:16 AM
Am I assuming correctly that this tutorial would also be for somebody who has not yet really touched LW's buffers at all (except for trying to get a depth pass and failing due to antialiasing issues)?

Yes absolutely! Depth is one area that a lot of people get hung up on and how to make use of it. I show you EXACTLY how to do it using both methods and demonstrate which one is superior for most use cases.

Marander
09-17-2015, 02:50 AM
Yes absolutely! Depth is one area that a lot of people get hung up on and how to make use of it. I show you EXACTLY how to do it using both methods and demonstrate which one is superior for most use cases.

Bought!

Even though I figured out how to do use the depth pass for motion blur and DOF in Fusion with LW and EXRTrader myself by trial and error, I didn't hesitate a second to purchase this. I'm sure I will learn a lot of production proven tricks as I did from previous Kat tutorials. There lots of tutorials from "theoretical" instructors with fake projects and little learning effect, but Kat's techniques are used in real production.

djlithium
09-17-2015, 02:55 AM
Thank you muchly. Your purchase and support is greatly appreciated. If you run into any issues or have questions please let me know. You can hit me on skype almost any time at: djlithium and I welcome questions and stuffs. =^..^=___!

Even though you figured out the depth thing you may find there are other neat uses for it in other areas beyond DoF once you see how it can be used to drive color correctors. Very handy stuff.

inkpen3d
09-17-2015, 07:11 AM
Initially I was in two minds whether or not to purchase "Fusion for LightWave Artists" as I've been using Fusion for some time now. But then I thought to myself, hell it's so cheap and the other video tutorials produced by Kelly Myers have been top quality and really useful in the past, so I went ahead and purchased a copy.

Well, I am really glad I made the purchase: I'm still going through the 7 hours of video content, but I've already learnt a ton of things about Fusion's Preferences and how they affect Fusion's performance, as well as other titbits of useful information, that would have been an uphill struggle to gain any other way.

"Fusion for LightWave Artists" is packed with information and excellent value. I don't think you'll regret purchasing a copy!

Regards,
Peter

prometheus
09-17-2015, 09:00 AM
So I really want people to know how to take advantage of Fusion and LightWave - treating them as a complete solution for VFX for almost all situations. Add in a hand full of other applications like Syntheyes, RealFlow, Vue and a voxel modeler like zBrush or 3D-Coat and artists with this knowledge are practically unstoppable.

I want to see LightWave artists become that force again.

Kelly...are you working with the free version or does it require commercial versions to follow the tutes all the way?

It sure is interesting..but as mentioned, it would be great if you could put up an overview vid sample on vimeo or something.

I havenīt bought in to anything you guys are offering, yet, but itīs not really about the quality of your tutorials (at least I donīt think so ..since I havenīt seen them) there are a lot of them that would be of interest..but at the same time no real need for them if I donīt work with it for projects etc, and right now thereīs nothing except personal projects maybe, you could on the other hand argue that once invested in and learned, it could boost your opportunities to get more real work.

both ryanīs vids and maybe some of yours might be of interest...itīs a matter of taking time and go through what I really need or just want, and planning where to put my dollars to invest, so it hasnīt been a desperate need.

One thing that pops up in my head, would it be possible to carpent your own download bundles from any of liberty3d vids..that would suggest One would get a certain procent discount for each new purchase if you purchase two or more tutorials at the same time...just an idea, that could maybe actually help sell more tutes in one go instead of buying one at the time over longer periods, and as a customers..we could get a freedom of choice to select your own favourite tutorials in a package.

Note..I still have to install the free fusion version, a shame that I havenīt already.

cheers

Michael

tyrot
09-17-2015, 09:43 AM
just one question i just render with octane.. octane renders exr .. so i guess it is applicable.. right

Chris S. (Fez)
09-17-2015, 09:57 AM
This looks great. Does anyone know what the resolution limit is for the latest free Fusion Release? It says ultra HD but what is the exact resolution? I hear it was reduced in 8.0.

djlithium
09-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Initially I was in two minds whether or not to purchase "Fusion for LightWave Artists" as I've been using Fusion for some time now. But then I thought to myself, hell it's so cheap and the other video tutorials produced by Kelly Myers have been top quality and really useful in the past, so I went ahead and purchased a copy.

Well, I am really glad I made the purchase: I'm still going through the 7 hours of video content, but I've already learnt a ton of things about Fusion's Preferences and how they affect Fusion's performance, as well as other titbits of useful information, that would have been an uphill struggle to gain any other way.

"Fusion for LightWave Artists" is packed with information and excellent value. I don't think you'll regret purchasing a copy!

Regards,
Peter

You are very welcome Peter. I know I ramble here and there but it's fun and if you listen carefully you will detect a bit of sarcasm at times. :)

djlithium
09-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Kelly...are you working with the free version or does it require commercial versions to follow the tutes all the way?

It sure is interesting..but as mentioned, it would be great if you could put up an overview vid sample on vimeo or something.

I havenīt bought in to anything you guys are offering, yet, but itīs not really about the quality of your tutorials (at least I donīt think so ..since I havenīt seen them) there are a lot of them that would be of interest..but at the same time no real need for them if I donīt work with it for projects etc, and right now thereīs nothing except personal projects maybe, you could on the other hand argue that once invested in and learned, it could boost your opportunities to get more real work.

both ryanīs vids and maybe some of yours might be of interest...itīs a matter of taking time and go through what I really need or just want, and planning where to put my dollars to invest, so it hasnīt been a desperate need.

One thing that pops up in my head, would it be possible to carpent your own download bundles from any of liberty3d vids..that would suggest One would get a certain procent discount for each new purchase if you purchase two or more tutorials at the same time...just an idea, that could maybe actually help sell more tutes in one go instead of buying one at the time over longer periods, and as a customers..we could get a freedom of choice to select your own favourite tutorials in a package.

Note..I still have to install the free fusion version, a shame that I havenīt already.

cheers

Michael

Hi Michael - Everything I do in the video works with the Free version of Fusion 7. Beta 8 has some issues still but once they get sorted out it will be in the same state as 7 for functionality. In beta 1, they didn't have exr file buffer access support and there were some other funkies to deal with but in Beta 2 those seem to be addressed except for one of the most common short cuts (ctrl - w) seems to be improperly mapped and it drove me insane so I revert back to 7.

We do have bundles, this one isn't part of any of my bundles yet but I may put it together with a fusion bundle along with jeremy's fusion 6 training.
One thing that we have been offering is a 35% off coupon to anyone who purchases their LW upgrade or full seat from us which is good for 1 year from their seat or upgrade purchase and can be used as many times as they like during that one year. Lot's of people have been taking advantage of that.

I'm planning another one of these so be on the look out for it coming soon.

- - - Updated - - -

just one question i just render with octane.. octane renders exr .. so i guess it is applicable.. right

Correct. No problems there at all. The video deals extensively with exr format files from the composite buffer and exrTrader.

djlithium
09-17-2015, 12:49 PM
This looks great. Does anyone know what the resolution limit is for the latest free Fusion Release? It says ultra HD but what is the exact resolution? I hear it was reduced in 8.0.

4K is 3840x2160.
Anything bigger than that on save out and it says "nope".

calilifestyle
09-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Hey Kat just want to make sure i did my math right, this video is 7 hours?

madno
09-18-2015, 12:18 AM
4K is 3840x2160.
Anything bigger than that on save out and it says "nope".

I tried once to use 2160x3840 which did not work in 7 free.
Seem so it must be width 3840 x hight 2160 while vice versa is not available.

madno
09-18-2015, 11:00 PM

Convinced, bought it :)

Davewriter
09-19-2015, 09:17 PM
A big Thumbs Up for the LW 2015 upgrade and getting 35% off for 1 year!
Must admit I feel like I'm robbing Liberty3d blind each time I use it.
But use it I do!

digital verve
09-21-2015, 07:47 AM
I find Fusion a great app and use it to compliment AE motion graphic work. I have bought your training material so I can quickly get to speed working with LW and Fusion.

S0nny
11-02-2015, 06:50 AM
One question guys, does this tutorial _require_ extrader plugin or I can still do 100% the same things with just the native lw composite buffer?

pinkmouse
11-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Covers both, but concentrates on EXR Trader. If you just want to follow along, all files seem to be there to do so.

S0nny
11-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Ok, thank you pinkmouse!

aquinde
04-18-2016, 01:35 AM
Downloading part 1 now. I'm a former Combustion* User who really doesn't like After Effects. I dove in to Fusion for the first time yesterday and felt right at home. It's so elegant and powerful! Hopefully GenArts Sapphire's OFX version will support the Mac version soon, and I'll be a happy camper. Meanwhile I'll go through the tutorials and learn how to use Fusion properly with Lightwave.