PDA

View Full Version : Sliders and Keyframes

Tom Wood
12-07-2003, 12:39 AM
Hi All,

When using sliders to animate, I have to keep deselecting the slider tool to set keyframes using the button at the bottom of the Layout screen. Then reactivate sliders, move the object, deactivate sliders, make the keyframe, reactivate sliders, etc. The keyframe button is not active when sliders are. Is there a simpler way to do this?

Thanx,

TW

WizCraker
12-07-2003, 12:57 AM
In Layout press the key [o] to open the General Options tab.

Look down about half way you will see: Auto Key Create

Make sure it is selected to:

Modified Channels

Next make sure Auto key is selected at the bottom. You can also turn it on by holding down [shift+F1].

So now when you animate your object you move to frame X move the sliders to the position you want and it will auto generat a key for only the channels you modify.

SplineGod
12-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Hey Tom,
What are you using sliders to animate?

Tom Wood
12-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Thanks Wiz!

Larry - I'm working on a TV show that is a spoof of talking heads news shows, so I'm animating, well, talking heads like the one in my avatar and in the image below. The sliders are used to create small motions that are then captured into MotionMixer.

I'd like to create another null that I could use in the slider panel that controls heading and pitch channels of the eyeballs.

EDIT: Found it - Use the Follower modifier in motion options.

Thanks!

TW

Tom Wood
12-07-2003, 08:01 AM
Delete

SplineGod
12-08-2003, 12:57 AM
Hey Tom!
Looks like a cool project :)
Follower works and you could also target the eyes to a single null as well.
Im curious why you are using motion mixer on this? :)

Tom Wood
12-08-2003, 06:58 AM
Hi Larry,

Yeah, I have an eyetarget null as well, but there are times when I want the head to target another null on a motion path and the eyetarget null then causes eye locations that I don't want. I'll switch back and forth.

Why MM? Since it's a one-man show, I needed a fast way to animate. 22 minutes of animation each week is about 4 minutes a day. Much of it repetitive motions for near identical characters, so MM seemed like the way to go. Add blink, done. Add squint, done. Another blink, done. Add frown, done. Drag and drop animation!

But knowing how much you know about the program, it nags the back of my mind - Why do you ask? :p How would -you- do it?

TW

Tom Wood
12-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Hey Wiz,

When I use Auto Key that way, MotionMixer will either use Actor Items (all channels) or Selected Items to make the motion. I don't want it to use all channels because the motion then interferes with other motions controlled elsewhere. But if I use Selected Items, I can only make a motion using one item in the actor. How do I get it to use more than one channel to make a motion, but not all of them at once?

Thanks,

TW

EDIT: I think I found the answer - Let it use all channels to create the motion, then use Channel Editor to turn off the ones you don't want in the motion?

WizCraker
12-16-2003, 11:20 PM
I just use it on modified channels, but then again I never use Motion Mixer.