PDA

View Full Version : Creating Sparks

mjroddy
12-06-2003, 08:51 PM
I've searched the archives here and not found much luck in creating sparks. I'm trying to have a lazer shoot out a hole in an object and wanted to spice it up with sparks flying all over.
I vaguely understand hypervoxels and can make smoke rising or blobs flying. But I can't make those blobs look like the cool sparks I've seen other people do. Are there any tutes out there that some kind Lightwaver could point me to?
(also, how do I get my emitter to start on a certain frame...)
Thank you very much! -mjr

WizCraker
12-07-2003, 12:45 AM
Partigons will work, or even particles that are HV Sprite small size exploading out using wind and of course gravity.

Another solution would be to spray points in modeler, convert to 1 point polygons, assign a surface to them. In Layout give them a glow parent them to Null make sure they are sized small at start. Then when your laser or welding device lights up explode out the size and move the null to make it look like it is sparking. There is an example of this in one of the scenes that came with Lightwave. It is the one where the robot arm is welding the pointy things to the Lightwave logo.

prospector
12-07-2003, 01:09 PM
I did those for an electrical motor by Tesla ( I actually got all his blueprints and made his motors:) )

I put a HV emitter on and sized for each armature brush and used the fire preset for HV and made them very small.
On some I did 2 emitters and used regular fire preset and the other same preset but I brightened it and cut both emitters to half amount per frame to get same amount of total sparks so I got some for variations.

So size emitters,
Make HVs small,
Make them last for no longer that 5 frames with 50% variation in life. (makes for quickly dying sparks) (don't wanna start a fire:D )
Play with colors.

HowardM
12-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Try this and dont forget the OLD newtek forum! (http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/37858.html?) :)

Craiglet
12-08-2003, 06:48 AM
I find the quickest and easiest way is to use a partigon emitter. Noodle the settings until you get good particle action... usually I crank up the resistance and velocity -- you want the sparks to shoot out really fast but slow down quickly. High explosion and vibration settings. Put fairly aggressive +/- values on most of your settings (especially weight, resistance, particle life)... this will help randomize it and make it look more organic/realistic.

Surface the partigons very PALE yellow and crank the luminosity up to 200 - 300%, depending on your lighting. Enable glow in the compositing pane, and add it to your partigon surfaces under the advanced tab. Experiment with the settings to get a tight, soft glow on each spark. Less is more if you are looking for realism... Be sure to click the Particle Blur checkbox and use dithered motion blur if you're rendering out an animation.

Throw in a collision plane if you need your sparks to bounce when they hit the ground. Don't forget to adjust the default 1m radius down to 0 or 5mm or you probably wont get the effect you're after.

Parent a pale yellow point light to your emitter and envelope the intensity popping on suddenly to 200 - 300% (again, depepending on what looks good in your scene) and falling off quickly over 5 to 10 frames. Add falloff settings to the light for a more realistic effect.

Now sit back and watch your pretty sparks render... One caveat: be sure to save a PFX file out for your emitter as well as the partigon emitter itself, or else your surfacing will revert to default when you open your scene file the next time.

HowardM
12-08-2003, 09:08 AM
yeah but using Particle Blur makes linear blurs, where my method makes nice arced trails.
try it out!

mjroddy
12-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Thanks very much!
I look forward to getting home and trying all this out! Sounds like I have a solution.
Thanks again. -mjr

Hervé
12-09-2003, 02:31 AM
there is also a Hikari plugin (part of sss) that does spaks that actually emit light..... he he

look on flay...... type sss in search engine