PDA

View Full Version : CAD models

ernpchan
09-13-2015, 06:28 PM
I've seen threads where people say CAD files come into Modeler with thousands of layers. Is there a site that has these type of files for download or are they highly proprietary?

calilifestyle
09-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Depends on the cad files. 3D ContentCentral , McMaster-Carr diggkey. but most of these items are hardware.

Lewis
09-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Just register on GrabCAD (it's free) and you can download models for free.
https://grabcad.com/library

Now, how you plan to open them in LW is another story (you need nurbs IGES/IGS, STP/STEP, 3DM converter to Polys).

ernpchan
09-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

prometheus
09-13-2015, 11:50 PM
I used deep exploration for conversion of solidworks files..export to sldasm, or prt export in to deep exploration, merged several thousands of materials, and merged layers..exported out to obj with scaling intact and vertex maps properly assigned.

donīt have that anymore and donīt work with it anymore.

inventor can export out parts as stl...but I donīt think assemblies, work to put out to stl, it can export vrml, and in lightwave you are supposed to import vrml and ply and stl...donīt know if it works nicely or not..I might be able to tell within a week or two..since I got contact with an engineer to test with.

otherwise...polytrans might do the trick for conversion, it is commercial and a lot cheaper than deep exploration I think, though I couldnīt stand polytrans when testing..compared to deep exploration,it was pure joy to analyze and adjust files in deep exploration...however.. supplier changed and so did the name etc.

Iges is something I donīt think lightwave can import, not sure if there is a free plugin for it..donīt think so.
Rhino..if you can afford it..or the cheaper moi might be a good alternative, moi also has some nice algorithms to make quad meshes upon export, but I experienced it couldnīt handle large files well.

magiclight
09-14-2015, 01:23 AM
Maybe AnyCad Exchange3D can be of use, never tried it though:

http://www.anycad.net/the-free-3d-model-converter-anycad-exchange3d.html

spherical
09-14-2015, 04:11 AM
For most IGES and IIRC, STEP, we use FreeCAD to read and export to compatible formats. Others, we use Deep Exploration.

Lewis
09-14-2015, 06:44 AM
FreeCAD is nice free tool for simple stuff but for anything a bit more detailed and it creates pretty big MESS from complex STP/IGES formats to OBJ and also it's not creating smoothing/vertex maps, tons of flipped polys, unwelded points, all crammed into single layer etc. etc. so it's not really looking good in LW without vertex normal maps :( . Also it's not offering any detail level/options at export so it's what it is. But for that price :D.

So MOI in that regard is much better (although only 32bit but there is few tricks and settings how to keep memory usage low even with more complex stuff) and not that expensive (295$) and it has interactive OBJ and LWO converter :).

ianr
09-14-2015, 07:45 AM
Had Polytrans from the get go , it has always done the convert
cept for 3d Max byantine file structure which i get others to do.
And Okino guys are hot on file structure changes too , unlike some?

daforum
09-14-2015, 07:54 AM
There's the Online 3D Converter too: http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/
Might be useful for some formats...

spherical
09-14-2015, 04:08 PM
FreeCAD is nice free tool for simple stuff but for anything a bit more detailed and it creates pretty big MESS from complex STP/IGES formats to OBJ and also it's not creating smoothing/vertex maps, tons of flipped polys, unwelded points, all crammed into single layer etc. etc.

Hmmm. Hasn't been my experience. Must be doing something wrong. ;)

Lewis
09-14-2015, 04:11 PM
Hmmm. Hasn't been my experience. Must be doing something wrong. ;)

Try this model - https://grabcad.com/library/black-decker-codless-drill, Load IGES and then export it from FreeCAD, then show me screengrab form modeler WITHOUT double sided materials. Also don't forget to open Vertex Map panel and show us Vertex normal smoothing.

prometheus
09-14-2015, 05:55 PM
yeah..I dont get any vertex normal smoothin out of that, the question though..is it implemented in the model itself or not?
in freecad preferences, there are some settings in part design, shape view and something about tesselation and normal per vertex, not sure if you have to assign phong shading or something?

I also noticed that when I selected wavefront obj to export..it comes out as nothing in the data, however selecting meshformats and naming the extension to obj works.

Lewis
09-14-2015, 11:25 PM
yeah..I dont get any vertex normal smoothin out of that, the question though..is it implemented in the model itself or not?

Ofcourse it is, output out of MOI and DeepExploration correctly exports vertex normlas/smoothing in LW by default/automatic.

That's my point why FreeCAD don't really cut it for little more busy models. But for that price heck it's what it is :).

BokadCastle
09-15-2015, 12:31 AM
hmm...MeshLab?
Open Source.

Trying to get UVs.
All different things happen.

Can get it into LW with a UV map, but nowhere complete. Anyone?

BokadCastle
09-15-2015, 12:35 AM
By 'it', I meant the cord-less drill suggested by Lewis.

philosofix
09-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Try this http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/mechanical the download is found by scrolling down. It's free and appears to have no catches. Export as a .stl just adjust the export options as you need.
It uses SpaceClaim as the core. Works quite well. It should help get your model into LW.