PDA

View Full Version : Baking World Procedurals?

objuan
09-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Is there a way to lock or bake World Coordinate Procedural textures to each poly, and then have those textures move with the polys?

I have a bunch of duplicates of the same object animating around and assembling a larger structure. I want to apply World Coord Textures to the final assembled structure so I have variation in my texturing, but I want it to be as if each piece brought that variation with it, rather than having them slide through the World Coord space.

?

Is there a way to say bake these texture at frame 2000?

Or other ideas on how to vary textures on multiple duplicates of the same object?

Thanks

lertola2
09-13-2015, 11:30 PM
Yes you can use the Surface Baking Camera to create an image of your procedural texture. You have to make a UV map for your object. The UV map should not have any overlapping polygons. At your desired frame use the surface baking camera to bake an image map of your object. Once you have your rendered texture you need to change the texturing of the object to use the newly created image as the texture instead of the procedural texture. See page 125 of the Lightwave 2015 manual.

Edit: I just re read your post and I missed the fact that your object is made of clones of the same object. So the above procedure is not going to work. I think you would need to save each clone as a separate object. Then you can bake an image map for each object separately. Depending on how many objects you have that might not be practical.

-Joe

pinkmouse
09-14-2015, 02:41 AM
You don't need to bake anything. Just use nodal, and use the Random node, (set to object), to generate an offset to one of your textures:

pinkmouse
09-14-2015, 02:52 AM
And if you want more variation, just add more randomnesss:

lertola2
09-14-2015, 07:03 AM
And if you want more variation, just add more randomnesss: That looks like it could get a different pattern on each cube but I don't think it solves the problem of getting a world coordinates procedural at a certain frame to stick to the cubes as they move around.

pinkmouse
09-14-2015, 07:25 AM
The OP asked for a simple way to get a different texture on each cube. The whole World co-ords thing was just a way he tried to do it. ;)

Oh, and as long as the animation has a keyframe involved, then it can be done with various DPKit, TruArt and DB&W nodes, it's just a more complex way of doing it with no real added value, so I didn't bother demonstrating it.

jeric_synergy
09-14-2015, 12:51 PM
OP, is the final object supposed to look like it was all one piece, or is it just that each piece is built of "wood"?

objuan
09-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. The Random node is pretty cool, guess I need to dig into the node editor some, even though I am most of the time perfectly happy with traditional LW texturing. TRADITION!!

Anyhow, originally this OPP's purpose was just to vary my textures some (which the random seems to do) but in point of fact, I would prefer something more along the lines of my first world coords idea. It would be nice to have veins running consistently though the whole assembled construction, but have those veins moved into place by each object. Not so nice though, that I want to save 40 different copies of the same objects, and then UV bake each one...

Thanks for the ideas!

pinkmouse
09-16-2015, 01:27 PM
How are you moving your objects? That defines the best solution.

objuan
09-16-2015, 03:13 PM
https://youtu.be/mwkPL8VtkuQ

Here's a rough sample of what I am going for...

pinkmouse
09-16-2015, 03:29 PM
It's not so much what you're doing, as how you're doing it. ;)

objuan
09-16-2015, 03:42 PM
Each wedge rotates out, scales to full size, then translates up. All of them are parented to a null, the whole shebang is duplicated, parented to the last structure scaled down at the golden ratio of 61.8%, and so on...

I like your signature pinkmouse. so fashionable.

jeric_synergy
09-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Not so nice though, that I want to save 40 different copies of the same objects, and then UV bake each one...
I admire your realism. :thumbsup:

++++++++++++
This is quite a puzzle. I look forward to the resolution.

pinkmouse
09-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Right, if your cubes are all clones, this should do the trick:

You'll need the TrueArt free nodes (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueArt%20Node%20Library). Set the Scalar value to the frame you want to sample the texture from. The Multiply node is set to -1,-1,-1, it just sorts out some orientation issues.

Have fun! :)

jeric_synergy
09-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Pinkmouse, could you please walk us through the theory of network? Tnx.

pinkmouse
09-18-2015, 11:21 AM
There really is no theory. ;)

ESI drives EII, (as EII doesn't have a "self" reference mode). When I first tried something like this I noticed that the position needed inverting to match the object's movement, hence the multiply node. The time input is used to sample the item/s position at the required frame, and then that all drives the position of the texture for each object

This method actually also works with DPKit Item info, which does have a "self" mode, but I didn't show it at first as I've been having a few issues with the Mac node and time inputs, so tend to start with the TA stuff.

jeric_synergy
09-18-2015, 12:05 PM
There really is no theory. ;)

Not so. Different people learn differently, I'm best with words. And the data flow in nodes STILL baffles me (always seems backwards), so text explanations clear things up for me and my compatriots. Thnks for the explanation.

pinkmouse
09-18-2015, 12:27 PM
No, there really, really is no theory. I just connect likely looking stuff up 'till it does what I want. :D

jeric_synergy
09-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Post hoc, dude, post hoc.

objuan
09-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Whoa, I had pretty well figured this was not gonna happen. Thanks Pinkmouse!

Now I just need to find some time away from the paying projects to get in there and play with it...

jeric_synergy
09-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Sooooo, is this just basically moving the per-part textures "backwards", to compensate for the parts' motion???

Pretty clever, whatever it's doing.