PDA

View Full Version : Can one use LW logo in thumbs/images showing his renders?

shenhua
09-12-2015, 06:21 PM
As the title says.

Hope this is the right place to ask.

Since I will be making some models in various programs like LW/3DsMax/C4D...

I wonder how does it look from the trademark perspective - to include LightWave (or other of those listed) companies logos on images of my showcase renders which I will put on my website and possibly places like Turbosquid?

This would be helpful because immediately the viewer could see which app such model has been made in when seeing a software watermark on the image.

Any idea how this works?

Thanks in advance.

ernpchan
09-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Most clients won't care or even know what program was used to make their work. They just care that it looks nice.

If anything it might be to your disadvantage since Maya is such a buzz word and practically equals cg to some people that seeing something other than Maya might steer people away.

If your content is impressive that will do more for you than broadcasting that it was done in LightWave.

That being said, including the logo probably is ok. You could ask customer support just to get clarification.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2015, 06:36 PM
I dunno: back when I had clients ::cough:: there were often inquiries about what I used, by people who didn't know the first thing about animation. (Ages ago: One guy swore up and down it was "impossible" to do morphing with an Amiga. --It was like arguing with a teabagger.) Inevitably Maya came up. Since it didn't matter, eventually I just would nod vaguely, and they never knew the difference.

As to the OP's question: don't confuse the rubes. Include in your text information that you are fluent in all the programs you used, by name, but don't include in the video.

ernpchan
09-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Sure, I'm not saying don't share the process if they inquire. I just don't think it's relevant for first impressions. It'll either be awesome or not on first glance. Not because it was or wasn't done in program X.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Agreed. Might be more important for job-referral services, but they're going to look at the resume', not the reel.

shenhua
09-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Hmmm! Well these are some really interesting points, ernpchan.

These models I'll be making and all will be one of my 2016 attempt to actually get into the industry, since till this day graphics has been only my hobby.

I have some of my 3D works ready. Some models, animations, and lots of non 3D works like Themes, Skins, Image/Vid editing etc... And made a website to show that all (Took me some time to learn how to make one, but I like learning new things).

My main drive is to make 3D models/animations and some VFX. That's what I enjoy the most and this forum and folks here is what made me believe that this is actually what I want to focus on in my life.

Now, as for the idea to put a logo of software on such render there are two reasons for that.

I have checked some of the job offers today, just to see what is required for this or that position. Given that I'm starting out such career I don't think I'm even remotely near the level to be a freelance 3D artist who'd be delivering say rendered frames/videos to the clients.

Instead I think I will start working for some company that wants, for example to hire a guy making 3D models say as to represent their products, or work in a team on animations etc.

When I checked such job offers I see that employers list in their requirements being able to use specific software (or at times they actually claim you got to be a total expert, which is kinda off-putting).

Since I looked at various graphic related positions, not only in 3D modeling/animation, let me use an example I feel will convey the meaning best.
Say, one company had requirements for a graphic designer position to use Adobe Photoshop (Check), Adobe Illustrator (Check), Adobe inDesign (Check) and... CorelDraw O___o

I was shocked. I mean... I had no idea COREL is still around O_O. I have used COREL as a teen... years ago, together with PainShopPro... But yes, I see it's still used by companies today!

So this made me think. And I thought about it for a while... What if when I look at 3D graphics jobs, modeling and animation related, they will pop up with 3Ds Max (Ofc, that's probably gonna be the case from what I've heard) or other Rhino/Maya/Modo/Whatever... and all I will have will be my LightWave portfolio?

So the idea is that while I'd still focus mostly on doing stuff in LightWave, because it's my preference. I'd also start making/converting my work to 3DsMax/C4D because I see that they are quite popular. And I believe, that it's only a matter of adjusting to switch from making models on one to another. Yes, sometimes such adjusting can be painful but in the end one can move from GIMP to Photoshop so why not LightWave to 3DsMax. Not to mention that I am a bit familiar with C4D and Modo because I used them for UVs/3D painting when LW was not enough.

So bottom line, when a prospective employer would ask me to show a portfolio of my works, this way he could see that while most of my works are made in LightWave - there are also things I do in other software.

Second reason is this. Say I want to list a model on Turbosquid. Usually I think I'd go with 2 versions. One which is the full and best like say a model that's well done in LightWave AND rigged - as one item. Then second item, conversion of such model to C4D, 3DsMax etc... ofc those conversions can't really be automated, I'd have to dive in, fix some errors and problems etc. But I wouldn't go as far as to rig the models because those would be secondary - as in, to have the ability to have something to offer when someone needs a 3DsMax model not a LW model. But still having around an even better LightWave version with rigging and whatnot. And with such stamps, even for myself it would be easier to organize my inventory.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Don't be put off by the "BE AN EXPERT!!!! in these five dozen programs!!!" laundry lists. The odds on them finding that person are slight.

Just put your best work on the reel, tell the truth in your resume, and be prepared to continually learn about software the rest of your career.
(Just seconds ago I had to find out what the heck was up with PShop vector masks, apparently they changed them for the worst about 3 years ago, and I missed the memo. That is your new life.)

shenhua
09-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Thanks, jeric_synergy. Yeah, Adobe has that fetish to mess things in Photoshop up.