lightscape
09-13-2015, 06:00 AM
Layers fquest
alt+click = isolate layer, vice versa
dnd to arrange layers

Sensei
09-13-2015, 10:18 AM
-Radial symmetry

Such tools are requiring history/modifier stack. Otherwise whole app rewrite. Currently every tool must in advance have code for symmetry and find points, edges, polygons manually (as there is no search function).
Adding stack will fix it straight away, as mesh generated by one modifier/node is taken as input parameter to other modifier/node, and another mesh is generated instead, that will be possible to use somewhere else.

lightscape
09-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Such tools are requiring history/modifier stack. Otherwise whole app rewrite. Currently every tool must in advance have code for symmetry and find points, edges, polygons manually (as there is no search function).
Adding stack will fix it straight away, as mesh generated by one modifier/node is taken as input parameter to other modifier/node, and another mesh is generated instead, that will be possible to use somewhere else.

Afaik 3dcoat and zbrush have no history/modifier stack in the same way as other appz where the stack can be re arranged.
Undo history maybe but they still have radial symmetry. Great for working on round/cylindrical objects that need details in an array.
I hope its possible in modeller. Lwcad has been doing some impossible things lately.

pming
09-14-2015, 11:52 AM
...sigh... man I miss CORE...

Hiya!

This is one of those "little" things that really makes me second-guess using and trying to learn/master Lightwave. I have this nagging feeling every now and then that's saying ...yeah, that feature won't work in LW because LW's code is 20+ years old.... I feel like LW is driving down a street, only to realize that it's a dead end. Rather than stop, turn around, and go back to start down a different road, they have opted to just slow down to 1 kmph and point out the window saying "Hey! Look at that! Wow! Isn't that neat! Ooh! What's that over there?! No, no, don't look ahead, all the cool stuff you should be interested is out the side windows...". Eventually they are going to get to that dead end and they will have a choice: turn around and go back to the beginning (re: rewrite of the LW code...aka, "CORE Redux"), or just sit there, smile, and die, slowly fading off into the memory with POVRay, Caligari trueSpace, and the other dead n' gone 3d packages of the past.

Personally, I *still* think they may a HUGE mistake when they just up and dropped CORE. I think I said it then and I'll say it again: that decision *is* going to bite them in the ***...and that snake is getting closer and closer to LW's backside. ;)

I think LW needs to start developing in-package solutions rather than rely on outside plugin developers. I'd love to see a Radial Duplication type thing like ZB has. Nano-mesh painting. Hell, I'd be happy to start with just a decent UV layout tool.

Anyway, this has already become a bit ranty. Suffice it to say, I'm with lightscape in his overall improvement suggestions.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Snosrap
09-14-2015, 09:51 PM
...sigh... man I miss CORE...

Hiya!

This is one of those "little" things that really makes me second-guess using and trying to learn/master Lightwave. I have this nagging feeling every now and then that's saying ...yeah, that feature won't work in LW because LW's code is 20+ years old.... I feel like LW is driving down a street, only to realize that it's a dead end. Rather than stop, turn around, and go back to start down a different road, they have opted to just slow down to 1 kmph and point out the window saying "Hey! Look at that! Wow! Isn't that neat! Ooh! What's that over there?! No, no, don't look ahead, all the cool stuff you should be interested is out the side windows...". Eventually they are going to get to that dead end and they will have a choice: turn around and go back to the beginning (re: rewrite of the LW code...aka, "CORE Redux"), or just sit there, smile, and die, slowly fading off into the memory with POVRay, Caligari trueSpace, and the other dead n' gone 3d packages of the past.

Personally, I *still* think they may a HUGE mistake when they just up and dropped CORE. I think I said it then and I'll say it again: that decision *is* going to bite them in the ***...and that snake is getting closer and closer to LW's backside. ;)

Well if they keep the two app workflow, all they need to do is rewrite Modeler. No biggy. :)

hrgiger
09-15-2015, 03:07 AM
most of any of these changes, especially a faster mesh engine, would require a significant rewrite. In any event, I doubt we'll see much improvement in modeler anymore at least in its current form.

Wade
09-15-2015, 07:18 AM
Seems like a simple addition or plug-in could take Lightwave into new markets. At the very least it would help me out in a big way.
I would find it very helpful if I could dimension “drawings” from an orthographic camera or any other camera for that matter. It would be much like you see in a set of blue prints or plans.
This would go a long way into making Lightwave a “CAD” package. I am surprised LWCAD has not added this yet but it plays in the world of modeler. I would suppose that this could be done in Modeler or Layout. Have any thoughts? Anyone have a Lightwave base solution to this conundrum?

lightscape
09-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Consolidate some tools.
Ex.
There's 3 weld tools which honestly I'm too lazy to find out which is the latest and best one so I stick with df_weld ever since.
weld 2.0
weld points
weld
Two of these don't work with symmetry afaik. :D
Make an effort to make the latest and best version visible.

lightscape
09-17-2015, 12:03 AM
Pen tool update.
Needs an undo.
Needs to have bezier when you click and drag.

- - - Updated - - -

Pen tool update.
Needs an undo.
Needs to have bezier when you click and drag.

3D Kiwi
09-17-2015, 12:17 AM
After having to use Lightwave to revisit an old project My main to requests so far are:

SPEED, it is so slow

And the option to save mesh only eg it only saves changes to the mesh not saving over shaders etc.

DrStrik9
09-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Well if they keep the two app workflow, all they need to do is rewrite Modeler. No biggy. :)

Hah. :+) Yes. Well, maybe the only realistic long-term strategy for Modeler is to keep the current design, and ADD an alternative: "Modeler 2" or whatever, which would ideally be built on a history/modified stack paradigm. It would probably take many, MANY development cycles before it could begin to be viable for the user, and then ultimately it could replace the current Modeler. I'm old, and only succeeded in the design business by adopting digital methods as they became viable. In fact, this is how the entire creative world integrates changing technology: a little bit at a time. I suspect the reason Core failed was because NT attempted to accomplish too many (unreasonably?) huge goals all at the same time. Also, by beginning this kind of "Modeler-replacement" development process, the user base would be able to see the glorious (and incomplete for a long time) future, continue to use the current tools, and adopt the new paradigm as it matured. :+)

"Replacing Modeler a little at a time" might be a much more attainable goal than what CORE tried to do.

I know. It's a dream. But if the numbers make any kind of sense at all, then it could be worth the effort.

lightscape
09-17-2015, 09:33 PM
I forgot one of the most neglected modeller tools.

Text tools.

https://vimeo.com/135685554

2015 and lightwave still has the same dinosaur text tool like modo.

DrStrik9
09-18-2015, 01:06 PM
That video makes me drool a bit ... the best way I know to deal with text in Modeler is to set all text in Illustrator (with intelligent kerning, etc.), and import it into Modeler. But the hassles just begin at this point, when extruding, beveling, etc. -- But for Modeler to bring the text tool into the modern typographic era, it would need to have all the typographic controls of Adobe apps, plus much more. This alone could save huge time when dealing with text.

jeric_synergy
09-18-2015, 01:16 PM
(I really h8 that there's TWO g.d. "wishlist" threads, wtf?)

If it's too difficult to actually implement Adobe-level controls, the alternate path is to make it easy-peasy to leverage Adobe products inside LW, as has been done for AE.

+++++
TEXT PLUS is to kill for.

lightscape
09-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Speaking of adobe.

The click and drag to hide and unhide layers. Such a simple function but really a workflow boost compared to click click click click click.

rcallicotte
09-18-2015, 09:04 PM
I sincerely wish the developers of MeshFusion and Fabric Engine would both reach out to someone here or someone from Newtek would reach out to them to see if their expertise would come into LW. These both would revitalize Lightwave like no one could believe right now.

https://vimeo.com/127723590

http://fabricengine.com/overview/
http://fabricengine.com/showcase/

Chris S. (Fez)
09-18-2015, 09:22 PM
I have Meshfusion and, while awesome, I prefer MetaMesh for most jobs: http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html

adk
09-18-2015, 11:46 PM
I sincerely wish the developers of MeshFusion and Fabric Engine would both reach out to someone here or someone from Newtek would reach out to them to see if their expertise would come into LW. These both would revitalize Lightwave like no one could believe right now.

https://vimeo.com/127723590

http://fabricengine.com/overview/
http://fabricengine.com/showcase/

I have very little clue in this but could FE theoretically even create geometry on the fly in layout? I don't think we'll fully know until LW progresses with it's version of 'unification'.

jeric_synergy
09-19-2015, 12:34 AM
Speaking of adobe.

The click and drag to hide and unhide layers. Such a simple function but really a workflow boost compared to click click click click click.
IIRC this UI gesture is designated 'painting', and may be patented by Adobe. I have yet to see any other application use this gesture, but that doesn't mean much, and yes, it's a great click-saver.

I keep making click reduction suggestions, but few get implemented.

lightscape
09-19-2015, 03:18 AM
IIRC this UI gesture is designated 'painting', and may be patented by Adobe. I have yet to see any other application use this gesture, but that doesn't mean much, and yes, it's a great click-saver.

I keep making click reduction suggestions, but few get implemented.

Then Modo is violating that patent. :D
Wonder if its registed in the US patents by adobe.

rcallicotte
09-19-2015, 05:07 AM
Chris, from what I'm seeing behind the scenes on the continued work on MeshFusion, which I can actually not say anything about, MF could be a sole reason to upgrade even with all of the stability issues. MF is going to be much better than it already is.

I have Meshfusion and, while awesome, I prefer MetaMesh for most jobs: http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html

rcallicotte
09-19-2015, 05:10 AM
Check out the Fabric Engine videos about this, because mesh manipulation is possible. Paul Doyle, who is one of the Fabric Engine gurus, just told me if Newtek or even one of us is interested, the possibilities of having Fabric Engine within LW is possible. But, the guys at Fabric Engine are not focusing on LW right now. Nevertheless, it is a possibility in Lightwave. And, just so everyone here knows, these are the same people who made ICE in Softimage.

"Keep in mind that there’s no dependency on us to do this work – Newtek or an interested programmer could do the work just as easily as us." - Paul Doyle

I have very little clue in this but could FE theoretically even create geometry on the fly in layout? I don't think we'll fully know until LW progresses with it's version of 'unification'.

adk
09-19-2015, 05:41 AM
Check out the Fabric Engine videos about this, because mesh manipulation is possible. Paul Doyle, who is one of the Fabric Engine gurus, just told me if Newtek or even one of us is interested, the possibilities of having Fabric Engine within LW is possible. But, the guys at Fabric Engine are not focusing on LW right now. Nevertheless, it is a possibility in Lightwave. And, just so everyone here knows, these are the same people who made ICE in Softimage.

"Keep in mind that there’s no dependency on us to do this work – Newtek or an interested programmer could do the work just as easily as us." - Paul Doyle

Cheers for the info rcallicotte, and yeah I'm very aware of who the FE folks are, and would dearly love to have it inside LW obviously.
If Softimage was still around I'd be actively learning that instead of Houdini as I think its nodal approach is a bit easier and immediate (for my brain anyway) than the expression and code heavy Houdini.
That initial hurdle was a big one but I'm really liking a lot about Houdini. Then again LW aint too shabby in the node area either. Just a shame about all the missing potential inter-connectivity.

Chris S. (Fez)
09-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Chris, from what I'm seeing behind the scenes on the continued work on MeshFusion, which I can actually not say anything about, MF could be a sole reason to upgrade even with all of the stability issues. MF is going to be much better than it already is.

Cool. Will keep my eye on it. Big fan of the Modo and The Foundry but am hoping the next release brings improved stability and deformation performance.

lightscape
09-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Native vertexmap foreground to background tranfer.
Specially weightmap transfer for 64 bit lightwave there is no option afaik. I'm using 32bit old plugin :devil:

Even dazstudio has this tech to transfer weight and morphs from one object to another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7abESLvn0yg#t=645

vonpietro
09-19-2015, 09:22 PM
i would like more interactivity with the tools

alot moer of what 3rd powers is doing but for almost every modeling tool

that interactivity is really key to quicker workflow

i'd also like better support of the cancel function when doing an lscript or operation.
sometimes i just need to stop it, forcing me to force quit instead of waiting for it to finish

lightscape
09-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Other 3d appz will be working with a split app workflow the way zbrush is continuing its dominance.

Majority of users might be polymodelling in zbrush someday including me, but until then.... Zbrush radial symmetry for the wheels. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj_yNCj9JgY