PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 downloading and installing? without asking.

Ernest
09-11-2015, 08:57 PM
I though those who were planning to wait and see before upgrading to Windows 10 (and those with tethering/data caps) might want to read this

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/213979-microsoft-thinks-youll-love-windows-10-so-much-it-downloads-it-for-you-without-asking

I was especially surprised by this part:

one of our staffers, David Cardinal, has had his own unusual experience with Windows 10. According to David, he left on a two-week trip with an HTPC box running Windows 8.1U and came back to find it running Windows 10. Windows Update was configured to install automatic updates, and Microsoft has flagged Windows 10 as an important update ó so itís at least theoretically possible that the box automatically installed the new operating system.

At this other site they had some command lines that supposedly can stop it, but I don't have automatic updates so I haven't tried them;
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1875237&page=2

spherical
09-11-2015, 10:25 PM
I'll surely check this out. I have disabled most of the Updates and Services that pertain to WinX automatic upgrade and telemetry on all of our workstations. Further, I have Windows Update set to only notify me that there are Updates. I decide when and if I will allow them to be downloaded and installed... PERIOD. This is not a time to be beta testing an OS upon which all of your crucial applications run that are essential to your business. Wow.

Similarly, we've been dealing with another company for the past couple of days that think that they have The Greatest Idea in the Universe all wrapped up and just drop it on unsuspecting users without warning, let alone approval. Bungie, makers of Destiny, are forcing all players of the game to download an 8.5GB update! Until the update has been applied, your existing game will not run. The catch is, most of the downloads Bork at various percentages of the 8.5GB and you have to start over. We've started over 4 times. Some have been at this for 5 days! Pity the poor souls on a 28.8K or 24K dialup. "Everyone has broadband.... right?" Even having broadband, this DL has taken 6.5 HOURS. The hubris is astounding.

coremi
09-14-2015, 12:10 PM
it only downloads, never install without asking.

bobakabob
09-14-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm on W7. Don't you have to throw $$ Microsoft's way before W10 installs? Isn't it safer to wait a good while before using W10 for 3d? Some apps such as Maya aren't yet configured for it. The only time I ever tried upgrading a Windows OS was a time consuming nightmare of programmes not working due to disappearing dlls etc.

09-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Yup, turn off auto updates.

And if you have video cards that are two different architectures, Win10 will knock the newer one out and only serve you up the old one.
Think Titan and GT620: fermi and kepler, I believe. They no mix in Win10.

Sucks. Eh, I *need* a new card, anyway, right?
Win10 isn't so bad. It definitely has moments if you are a DIYer or a user of 'legacy' hardware: won't let you keep an old driver to run older hardware without issuing commands to tell the system to, "Shut up and Do it!"

And yes, it probably did exactly as the op says, crapped on the guys system.

pinkmouse
09-14-2015, 01:28 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/windows_10_forced_download/

spherical
09-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Yup, turn off auto updates.

Manual approval has always been the way to go. I don't even let them download first. If one looks suspicious (not a critical security update), I check the detailed information on it and also check against the list of KB numbers that are known to be WinX related and, if positive, hide them until I want to pull the trigger.

Matt
09-15-2015, 11:54 AM
I unchecked and hid the Windows 10 update, but it keeps unhiding it and checking it for me. Not cool.

spherical
09-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Wow. Seriously not cool. Not happening here so far, but I have the majority of the lead-up updates that are prerequisites hidden. Thanks for the heads-up.

Greenlaw
09-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Resistance is futile...

lightscape
09-15-2015, 10:53 PM
I unchecked and hid the Windows 10 update, but it keeps unhiding it and checking it for me. Not cool.

Newtek devs better switch to the latest windows because its inevitable and also so you can fix incompatibilities with lightwave.
Had major problems with lightwave and windows 10.
1. drifting mouse like the pointer would go on and on like skating on ice.
2. minimizing lw tabs would make them disappear completely

temporary fix/workaround by Medi8or.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139713-Lightwave-11-6-Settings-Help&p=1380248&viewfull=1#post1380248

.Emi.
09-20-2015, 10:48 AM
it only downloads Windows 10 if you have Automatic updates, so it's obvious Windows 7/8 will do whatever you are asking to do, in this case, if you have automatic updates, it will download all the updates, and install the ones it has to install (not windows 10). but since you automatically installed Windows 10 upgrade updates, then it's expected it will download Windows 10 and you install it whenever you want.
what is the issue here? if you don't want these kind of things, windows 7 and 8 have optional updates. I had automatic updates and I still do, with windows 10. so I don't mind it. I only used to hide few updates when they seemed to cause issues, thing I haven't experienced on Windows 10.

There are article about which updates you should remove and hide in order not to see them again. if you don't want Windows 10 for whatever reason, you have the option, if 5 gbs is too much for you and it's easier to delete something and take the many minutes uninstall and hide the updates is more worth to you, even if Windows 10 is free, you can do that, find these articles about what to exactly remove in order not to get these updates and hidden stuff.

Only because it is something you don't want, it doesn't mean it's bad, especially when there are many not tech people around and it's easier to download Windows 10 for them, even if they haven't decided if they want it the first day. because when they want it, it would be just matter of seconds instead of minutes or hours. what's wrong about it?
but Windows is really easy to customize and block and do a lot of things. so I would advice anyone to search for an article about what to remove and hide and you will never get 5gb used in your HDD by having Windows 10 there.

Windows 10 is free, so it's obvious Microsoft wants to download the update. this is like complaining my Windows Phone or any other Mobile OS is downloading the update and asking me to install it. it won't install automatically but it's there if people want to upgrade. there is always option to avoid it, but some people leave automatic updates and then expect everything to work as they want.

Anyway this is an article about what and how to remove and never see it back.
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-upgrade-files-downloading-pc