PDA

View Full Version : LampLight-VPR and Final renders...how would you solve this?

prometheus
09-10-2015, 05:22 PM
here´s a simple setup for a lamp light, a spherical light and just some small transparency on the lampshade.
now vpr gives a much brighter look, than the final render..you can see the GI settings and vpr settings and colorspace settings.

I think I know how to match VPR settings, but I think it is weird that it isn´t the same in vpr and final as it is.

what parameter would you change to get the final render to light up the room, as it is in VPR? I will get back and mention what I would do..just throwing this in to see if there is other aspects as well after analyzing.

Cheers Michael

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=129682&d=1441927275

MSherak
09-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Place the scene up..

spherical
09-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Have encountered this many times. What I do is essentially take the lighting algorithm apart.

A spherical light or even point light, if entirely enclosed, that lights the shade and surrounding objects not occluded by it.
A spherical light that ignores the shade to provide ambient illumination, as if the shade were luminous. This light is colored to match the shade color and is sized to be close to or slightly larger than the shade. That's how this was done:

Yes, you could make the shade surface luminous but you have much more control over the light that it [apparently] is giving off by leaving it non-luminous and using a light. IOW, the color is an issue, as the two are then tied to each other, and the illumination is an issue because you have no choice of falloff.

prometheus
09-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Place the scene up..

Yes..I should of course do that, it was just a crappy mockup scene testing lighting, but I will post it later..might want to change somethings too.
but I need to jump in to the bed now..will post tomorrow.

prometheus
09-10-2015, 05:53 PM
I can tell you that the difference in in the light result in vpr and final render..well.
1. I forgot to turn on double sided surface on the lamp shade..that makes the vpr more darker and closer to final render.
2. I increased the GI bounces from 1 to 30 and it lights up more in the final render while vpr still looks pretty much the same.
3. the more transparent the lamp shade is, the more brighter the final render looks..so to the point that it becomes much brighter than vpr render, so I balanced these 3 points.

the spherical light had inverse distance on it too.
The color space is all the same and I don´t think the differences is because of that, it must be a question about how vpr and final render treats transparency.

Michael

- - - Updated - - -

Have encountered this many times. What I do is essentially take the lighting algorithm apart.

A spherical light or even point light, if entirely enclosed, that lights the shade and surrounding objects not occluded by it.
A spherical light that ignores the shade to provide ambient illumination, as if the shade were luminous. This light is colored to match the shade color and is sized to be close to or slightly larger than the shade. That's how this was done:

Yes, you could make the shade surface luminous but you have much more control over the light that it [apparently] is giving off by leaving it non-luminous and using a light. IOW, the color is an issue, as the two are then tied to each other, and the illumination is an issue because you have no choice of falloff.

I don´t have the lampshade luminous at all, only thing that would affect GI would be the diffuse level.

spherical
09-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Could employ Translucency, too. Also Color Filter.

prometheus
09-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Could employ Translucency, too. Also Color Filter.

done that..though I might go for sigma materials for the surface of the lamp shade I think I will spend some time on getting stuff right with realistic interior lights, especially ordinary lamps, and also photometric lights...
by the way..it was a long time since I checked the photometric lights..is/was there scene content somewhere with ies lights?...I would have to browse through it all otherwise..but maybe a simple question about it might help :)

MSherak
09-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Yes..I should of course do that, it was just a crappy mockup scene testing lighting, but I will post it later..might want to change somethings too.
but I need to jump in to the bed now..will post tomorrow.

crappy or not, dimensions play a key role.

Also this might be the info you are looking for.

VPR Draft Mode Limitations
VPR’s default Draft Mode is designed to show you renders as quickly as possible, however it doesn’t support everything that VPR is capable of. Here’s a list of VPR Draft mode limitations:

• Photoreal Motion Blur is disabled
• Depth of Field is disabled
• Advanced/custom cameras are disabled
• Stereo rendering is disabled
• The adaptive threshold is set to 0.1
• Minimum Samples is set to 1 and Maximum Samples is 9
• Oversampling is set to 0.5
• Undersampling is set to 4 pixels max (disabled in full rendering)
• Adaptive Sampling uses a 2.2 gamma function rather than the output color space to
determine the brightness difference .
• Shading Samples are limited to 4 .
• Ray Recursion Limit is set to 4 but the maximum reflection rays is set to 2 .
• The max GI ray bounces is set to 1
• The GI Use Transparency, Directional Rays and Use Bumps setting are disabled .
• The GI Rays Per Evaluation setting is limited to 32/16 when interpolating and 4/4 when
sampled .

Might help

prometheus
09-11-2015, 03:31 PM
crappy or not, dimensions play a key role.

Also this might be the info you are looking for.

VPR Draft Mode Limitations
VPR’s default Draft Mode is designed to show you renders as quickly as possible, however it doesn’t support everything that VPR is capable of. Here’s a list of VPR Draft mode limitations:

• Photoreal Motion Blur is disabled
• Depth of Field is disabled
• Advanced/custom cameras are disabled
• Stereo rendering is disabled
• The adaptive threshold is set to 0.1
• Minimum Samples is set to 1 and Maximum Samples is 9
• Oversampling is set to 0.5
• Undersampling is set to 4 pixels max (disabled in full rendering)
• Adaptive Sampling uses a 2.2 gamma function rather than the output color space to
determine the brightness difference .
• Shading Samples are limited to 4 .
• Ray Recursion Limit is set to 4 but the maximum reflection rays is set to 2 .
• The max GI ray bounces is set to 1
• The GI Use Transparency, Directional Rays and Use Bumps setting are disabled .
• The GI Rays Per Evaluation setting is limited to 32/16 when interpolating and 4/4 when
sampled .

Might help

Thanks..will take note of it all.
I can get vpr and final render to match..so that is of no big issue, but it requires tweaking...I just wan´t to understand why by default it looked so different.

not in the mood for anything 3d right now..
I went out for a nice night walk one hour ago, and happened to take a wrong step..and I fell to the ground, and with that I got a sprained ankle..that hurts badly now and I can hardly walk and support the steps on my right foot... so I am not in mood for anything..but I see you got the lampshade scene made simple by yourself..so it looks very similar, so I dont think I bother about posting the scene...not right now anyway, Im gonna stay in bed with my feets high up in the air, unfortunatly I do not have any elastic bandage to support the foot.

Michael