PDA

View Full Version : Hair bug or bad luck?

jaxtone
09-10-2015, 06:58 AM
Hi!

I wonder if its just me or if its a bug in Fiber FX connected to 11.63?

I import a simple model of a scalp into into Layout and start Fiber FX. But when I start the Fiber FX engine nothing seems right!

Please see attached images and compressed file with 3D-information.

Skywatcher_NT
09-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Works here.
Lw 11.6.3 build 2737

jaxtone
09-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Wow... thatīs strange! I have the same build.

If you have tried to activate the scene by using the guideline... could you please show me how it looks like when this guideline creates the hair?

Dodgy
09-10-2015, 07:47 AM
Okay, it crashes here. Your 'guide' doesn't have a 1 point poly end. I'd suggest that you turn it into a spline first, then use Strand maker on it. This will create a new guide of the right format which you can then use in FFX modeler.

Skywatcher_NT
09-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Ok, sorry. Your file crashes. I tested it with my own objects.
Just Extrude the polyline from layer 2 in Z-axis, select new points and delete.
Leaves you with the original polyline that now works.

jaxtone
09-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks a lot Dodgy!

I tried the strand maker and it worked much better than the plugin 2PointPolyChain I found designed by Stephen Culley for what I guess years ago.

But I have a question about the strand tool designed guides. I tried to mirror one and add some more to the scalp but then Lightwave crashed anyway! Do the guide lines have to be created one by one and excluded from copy paste or mirror behaviors?

However during the time I awaited an answer I succeeded in creating another scalp with some hair on it... but thereīs one thing bothering me. I must have missed something important here, since the hear doesn't go with the flow when I create some movements for the scalp. Do you think you can look at it and tell me what setting I might have excluded from the interface?

I will definitely try the Strand Tool created guides and see if I could create hair that way as when looking forward for your or someone else's explanation.

Okay, it crashes here. Your 'guide' doesn't have a 1 point poly end. I'd suggest that you turn it into a spline first, then use Strand maker on it. This will create a new guide of the right format which you can then use in FFX modeler.

Dodgy
09-10-2015, 07:27 PM
One thing to note, you can make guides in FFX modeler, and then when you close it, it saves them to a new layer as well, so you end up with the hair and the guides on 2 layers. However, they're just the same type of geometry as the 'hair' polys, so what you can do is use one set of guides to make a small number of 'hairs', then use those hairs to guide more hairs in FFX modeler, and so on up in an iterative process. I'll have a look at your scene when I get the chance.

jaxtone
09-11-2015, 01:36 AM
I noticed that "strand maker" did the job perfectly well. However this maneuver even transformed the head into that second layer.

What I did was to delete the heads data in the second layer but also the sketched poly lines in the first layer. I finally ended up with a main polygon head on the first layer and the two point polys on the second layer before I saved it as an object. Don't know if this is the right way to do it and feels it's a little bit stupid that you can't just decide what profiles or shapes from the first layer you want to chose for the "strand maker" command.

I look forward to hear what I have missed in that scene file I sent you!

Regards, Jack

One thing to note, you can make guides in FFX modeler, and then when you close it, it saves them to a new layer as well, so you end up with the hair and the guides on 2 layers. However, they're just the same type of geometry as the 'hair' polys, so what you can do is use one set of guides to make a small number of 'hairs', then use those hairs to guide more hairs in FFX modeler, and so on up in an iterative process. I'll have a look at your scene when I get the chance.

Dodgy
09-11-2015, 08:18 AM
It seems to be if you turn off kinematic for the scalp, the hair flows. It does something bizarre here, but it's late and I have to go to bed :P

jaxtone
09-11-2015, 10:06 AM
... gd'night then Dodgy... look forward to see if you have some energy left after discussions with Mr Sandman!

You help is deeply appreciated and I will try to sleep as well!

Jack