PDA

View Full Version : Copying swatch colors-- how's that again?

jeric_synergy
09-08-2015, 09:51 PM
I remember that it's possible to copy swatch colors in LW, but danged if I can remember HOW.

It's jusssst slightly off-convention enough that it doesn't come naturally. Anyone remember?

spherical
09-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Are you talking about the RGB/HSV color panels in the Surface Editor and Nodes? Right-click on the source color to Copy, Ctrl-Right-click on the destination to paste.

Philbert
09-09-2015, 12:05 AM
I actually mentioned this in an upcoming tutorial. It's kind of a secret trick I guess since I don't think it's in the manual.

jeric_synergy
09-09-2015, 12:31 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, invisible features, booooo. Balloon-help, yay!

Don't forget the "RMB drag on the swatch to alter the Luminance" trick. That's a good one I bet few people know.

And the fact that there's EIGHT different color cube displays in the LW Color Picker-- that's another one people miss.

spherical
09-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Don't forget the "RMB drag on the swatch to alter the Luminance" trick. That's a good one I bet few people know.

Same as right-clicking on the RGB values to switch to HSV and alter the V. HSV I always use, as it is simply more intuitive... for me. I wish that we had the option to make HSV default. I fogged a request a long time ago and it got ignored.

BeeVee
09-09-2015, 06:29 AM
I actually mentioned this in an upcoming tutorial. It's kind of a secret trick I guess since I don't think it's in the manual.

I'm shocked you should impugn such a thing Phil, but it's certainly not easy to find, even for me :D I haven't managed to locate it yet in either the 11.x addenda or the 2015 manual. Bizarre, I know I wrote about it...

B

jeric_synergy
09-09-2015, 07:55 AM
I'm shocked you should impugn such a thing Phil, but it's certainly not easy to find, even for me :D I haven't managed to locate it yet in either the 11.x addenda or the 2015 manual. Bizarre, I know I wrote about it...B
If only we could help you with that, Ben, by adding such little tidbits. :jester: :dance:

I fogged a request a long time ago and it got ignored.
Welcome to my world: of the dozens of brilliant suggestions I've made over the years, only a handful get implemented. ;)

:boogiedow

EDIT: Spherical, doooood: "swatches". "Color panel" is programmer-speak abomination.

erikals
09-09-2015, 01:58 PM
bit on that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbs4PIUanMg

spherical
09-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Spherical, doooood: "swatches". "Color panel" is programmer-speak abomination.

Just wanting to make sure, because often you're ambiguous. Hard to tell when you're not. :D And, seeing as how I'm well versed in a lot more disciplines than most, "swatch" is used in other, more rich and specific ways than a little square display of a solid color. BTW, I am a programmer fluent in 5 languages; starting with Fortran.