PDA

View Full Version : The quality of of YouTube uploads recently.

Snosrap
09-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Has anyone had issues with the uploaded videos you have posted to YouTube lately? I thought I had a pretty good system down pat, but the last week or so everything I have uploaded has been crap! I was getting great results with uploading videos using the H.264 codec from HitFilm3, and now I've even uploaded uncompressed AVI's and they still look like crap. Did Google change something?

spherical
09-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Apparently so. If you're uploading AVIs and not an already compressed format, then they're Borking something. Uploading AVI is something I'd never consider. Yikes. You must have a killer bandwidth.

erikals
09-09-2015, 12:48 AM
i do not upload a lot of .avi
besides, that is kind of slow (big files=slow upload)

use a free open source video converter to convert from avi to mp4

http://www.mirovideoconverter.com

Amurrell
09-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Just uploaded a vid straight from Hitfilm to Youtube using the Youtube option and the quality was about the same, which surprised me a bit. It seems that Youtube still kills .mp4 and H.264 uploaded directly though, which is strange. I don't know what the difference would be.

Snosrap
09-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Just uploaded a vid straight from Hitfilm to Youtube using the Youtube option and the quality was about the same, which surprised me a bit. It seems that Youtube still kills .mp4 and H.264 uploaded directly though, which is strange. I don't know what the difference would be. What do you mean "quality was about the same"? Same as what? An animation for me saved out of HitFilm using their H.264 / .mp4's look pristine when played back on my PC and up until a few days ago looked just as good on YouTube. I'm rendering and compositing @ 1280 x 720.

spherical
09-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Haven't delved into this yet, but he's saying NOT H.264/Mp4 but DO use the YouTube setting provided. With the way that YouTube/Google change things constantly, the difficulty with H.264/mp4 may be a transient glitch.

Snosrap
09-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Haven't delved into this yet, but he's saying NOT H.264/Mp4 but DO use the YouTube setting provided. With the way that YouTube/Google change things constantly, the difficulty with H.264/mp4 may be a transient glitch. Yeah - I tried that too. Terrible result. :)

Amurrell
09-11-2015, 03:49 PM
What do you mean "quality was about the same"? Same as what? An animation for me saved out of HitFilm using their H.264 / .mp4's look pristine when played back on my PC and up until a few days ago looked just as good on YouTube. I'm rendering and compositing @ 1280 x 720.

Same as the original quality.

bobakabob
09-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Are you adjusting the resolution options for viewing in YouTube? In my experience they frustratingly default to the lowest setting. Maybe I'm missing something?

Vimeo imho gives good quality with lots of control over presentation. Worth paying the small subscription fee if you need it.

Ryan Roye
09-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Keep in mind that YouTube processes the lowest quality version of your video first, then makes higher resolution copies of it available as they finish processing. If you want your video to have the highest quality levels at the time of publication, upload, but don't publish the video until the maximum resolution is available as an option. Full processing can take up to an hour or more depending on video length.

Snosrap
09-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Keep in mind that YouTube processes the lowest quality version of your video first, then makes higher resolution copies of it available as they finish processing. If you want your video to have the highest quality levels at the time of publication, upload, but don't publish the video until the maximum resolution is available as an option. Full processing can take up to an hour or more depending on video length.

I've always waited until it has finished processing before pressing publish. So there are more settings after that that I can set? I'll have to check that out. Thanks guys.

shrox
09-11-2015, 10:08 PM
I've always waited until it has finished processing before pressing publish. So there are more settings after that that I can set? I'll have to check that out. Thanks guys.

Have you tried Vineo?

Snosrap
09-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Have you tried Vineo?

No - but I am considering it. I just re-rendered at 1080 and am going to give that a shot first. Will find out how that looks over the weekend and if that sucks I'll give Vimeo a try. Thanks.

spherical
09-11-2015, 10:34 PM
We have found Vimeo to be absolutely superb. No BS. No oddball compression stuff. Customizeable player with your branding if you like. Great support if you need it.

shrox
09-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Vimeo does have a limit of one full HD upload a week...if you join as a Pro, there is no limit.

spherical
09-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Well worth the annual fee, IMO, especially with all else you get... and don't get: ads.

prometheus
09-17-2015, 10:57 AM
just noticed that after uploading a very small quicktime mov h264, high quality,prepared for internet streaming/fast start/highest quality multipass coding.
upon upload to youtube, quality looks awful, as well as it doesn´t replay very well..

On vimeo it looks much nicer and replays without issues...the only issue with vimeo would be, waiting half an hour to upload, the upload limit and it doesnt reach as many as youtube(unless paying the fee)

a fiberfx sample...check quality differences, the clip was rendered out as tga and imported to after effects and exported to quicktime mov h264, looks better on vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/139599706

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5USThM-wvfk

shrox
09-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Vimeo rocks.

Snosrap
09-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys for the Vimeo suggestion. I setup an account over the weekend and uploaded my video that was giving me grief on Youtube. Much better!!! I'm in the process of uploading my other work there as well. Thanks.

spherical
09-17-2015, 01:44 PM
We've been very happy with Vimeo & the Pro account is well worth it.

Snosrap
09-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Went the FREE route. :)

prometheus
09-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Went the FREE route. :)

works too..as it does for me, though should my purse grow a bit better and my project tasks..I would consider paying for it.

1. no half hour to wait for the upload to happen.
2. no weekly limit

I think I can live with no2 ...the no 1 is a bit annoying though...if you want to share a vid fast to showcase as help on these forums.

Michael

shrox
09-18-2015, 07:05 PM
...the no 1 is a bit annoying though...if you want to share a vid fast to showcase as help on these forums.

Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9EBhaULToU

summerslover
01-07-2016, 11:29 PM
YouTube accepts videos within 15 minutes in certain formats, like MOV (.mov), 3GP (.3gp, .3g2, .3gpp), MPEG-4 (.mp4), FLV (.flv), AVI (.avi), MPEGS (.mpg), WMV (.wmv), WebM (.webm). And applies 16:9 aspect ratio players, uploading a 16:9 video file could be the best choice. And if the resolution of video is not well, convert video to youTube supported one might be a good choice.I used to upload iphone video to youtube by some free video converter, and it worked.