PDA

View Full Version : 'Writing' text with particles

luke
03-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Hello,

I want to describe a persons name with Particles. I already have a scene in which an emitter is flying away from camera, dispersing partigons. I figured that I would just have to use a collision object to attract the particles. This has worked fine for me in the past when I use the standard collision 'types' like sphere, box (within the Collision FX window) but as soon I try and use 'object' so that the partigons stick to my text, the particles just fly through my text.

Perhaps I am just going down the wrong route completely?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this newsgroup bytheway... so 'hello'!

Regards,
Luke Unsworth

Koen
03-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Hi Luke,

Try using a null with the emitter attached and another null with FXWind.
With that (Null_Wind) you 'write' the name.
In the FXWind settings choose 'Path' as Wind Mode. Adjust your Wind radius.
For the emitter part, choose approx. the same radius and the birthrate of your choice. You can fiddle with the other settings as you please. Make sure you turn off your 'Lifetime' of the particles and increase your 'particle limit'.
Here you go. Written text. Hope this makes a bit of sense.

Take care.

Koen

luke
03-10-2003, 03:04 AM
Thanks Koen,

I've had a quick try with this and it all makes perfect sense but I am still having problems when I try and use my own objects as collison objects. The particles just seem to appear beyond the object, and do not 'stick' to it. I'll have a proper look into it as soon as I've finished my present job however as I haven't used particles much, and I feel that I am probably missing something simple. I need to really look at what I am doing I think!

Regards,
Luke.

Koen
03-10-2003, 03:46 AM
Hi Luke,

Well, make sure your collision settings are set correctly. If you want the particles to stick, try this.
- Type: Object or Object Subdiv (if you're using your own object)
- Mode: Stick (or Attract)
- Radius: 1mm or less
- Bounce/Bind power: 500%
- Fix Power: more than 0
Try some other settings too.
Hope this will help.

Koen

Oh yeah, if you want to fill the whole name, be prepared to use a LOT of particles! :)

luke
04-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Koen,

Thanks again. I've been on holiday so didn't get a chance to reply. I had another go and got further, but you are correct about the amounts of particles needed! I tried using Hypervoxels which - although taking far longer to render - gave me better results as I could make them substantially bigger and so needed far fewer particles. I still had problems controlling the particles though. When I get a chance I will re-visit this problem and let you know if I make anymore progress.Thanks!

Luke.

NeilNafus
04-05-2003, 08:52 AM
Luke,

Another way you could do it would be to create a black and white image of your logo in photoshop, ship it to After effects and create an animated wipe on it or a reveal, export that sequence and map it on a plane and use that as the texture for emission of the particles.

-Neil Nafus
http://www.nafii.com/neil