PDA

View Full Version : Surface Baker hangs Layout 7.5

PixelDust
02-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Guys, I need some help. I'm working my way through "Inside LW 7". In chapter 9, there's a tutorial on baking radiosity on the walls of a room. I set up the scene the way it says to, but whenever the render gets about 1/3 of the way done, Layout hangs.

I've tried allocating more memory to LW (300,000 K), even though I'm using OS X 10.2.3. (I had to boot into OS 9 to change the setting - grr.)

I tried adjusting the camera settings not to show the render. I've tried increasing the render segment memory to 32 MB.

Nothing works - Surface Baker still hangs LW at the same place every time.

I'm using LW 7.5 on a 1 GHz PowerBook with 1 GB RAM in OS 10.2.3.

Is there a Mac bug involving Surface Baker? It's not like I'm going to really use this feature a lot - I just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Thanks!

PixelDust
02-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Well, after finding an old thread on the old Newtek forum, I figured out I had to turn off anti-aliasing. It got further this time, but it still hung up later. I'll have to keep trying.

Great... Now I'm talking to myself! :p

Skonk
02-09-2003, 08:18 PM
hehe, hmm its not something iv heard of but iv not used lightwave on mac all that much.

James..

Jimzip
02-11-2003, 04:35 AM
Alright, firstly, if you're using a dual processor computer, turn OFF multithreading in the render options.
Secondly, you may have to check what your 'surface baker' settings are. You might be trying to output the file to some obscure format that Lightwave doesn't like..
Thirdly, check the resolution of the output image in the 'surface baker' shader settings.
Fourth, some geometry doesn't work with baker, you may have to check the manual. There's also a texture baking tutorial available in the Lightwave tutorials section.

I hope this helps. :D
Jimzip

PixelDust
02-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Jimzip
Alright, firstly, if you're using a dual processor computer, turn OFF multithreading in the render options.
Secondly, you may have to check what your 'surface baker' settings are. You might be trying to output the file to some obscure format that Lightwave doesn't like..
Thirdly, check the resolution of the output image in the 'surface baker' shader settings.
Fourth, some geometry doesn't work with baker, you may have to check the manual. There's also a texture baking tutorial available in the Lightwave tutorials section.

I hope this helps. :D
Jimzip

Here's what I had done:

I had multithreading off. I wish I had a dual-processor Mac, but they don't make DP PowerBooks (yet).

Also, I was following the instructions and using the model from Dan Ablan's "Inside LW 7" book. He said to output the file as LW_TGA24, and have a resolution of 800. Also, he said to triangulate the polys with more than 4 points, which I did.

It seemed that LW was stopping when it got to those triangulated polys, so I rebuilt the room model so it was all quads, and LW still froze.

I'll try outputting the file as a different format and see what happens.
Thanks!

mlinde
02-12-2003, 10:41 AM
What's your segment memory limit (set in camera properties)? This is a quick and easy way to give LW access to memory for real. Setting the memory allocation in OS 9 will not affect the memory access in OS X, unless you are running LW as a Classic App. Try boosting your segment memory to something big, like 128 MB.

I will pull out Inside LW 7 and see if I can duplicate or get past your bug -- I'll let you know what happens.

PixelDust
02-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks, mlinde - I really appreciate that!

The tutorial is on pages 416-422. The scene renders until it reaches the left half of the curved windowframe. After it draws those polys, LW won't render any more polys.

If I click and hold on the LW Layout icon on the dock, the menu says "Application not responding" (grayed out), and the options to close window or quit. I never see the "Baking in Progress" panel on screen.

Jimzip
02-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Yeah. Actually sometimes the render window covers the baking window..
Having both in the same window would be helpful.. There's one for the wish list!
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Jimzip;)

PixelDust
02-12-2003, 09:42 PM
I tried the "Baking a Cow" tutorial from the NewTek website, and it worked fine. So, I'm thinking the problem might not be Surface Baker itself, but maybe something about the project.

The Cow tutorial doesn't use radiosity, but I'm not sure that's it because part of the room tutorial scene does render with radiosity - I can see it in the render window.

I still suspect the geometry... but we'll see. Thanks for the help so far.

mlinde
02-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Sorry this took a while. I ran the test on my iBook (600Mhz G3, 640MB RAM). When attempting to bake to the LW_TGA24 format, my entire system froze, forcing me to hard-reboot.

Going through a typical crash-check, I repaired disk permissions after the reboot.

Since I know that image formats can cause all sorts of problems for the mac version of LW, I tried a known and trusted format -- PCT24. Voila! The scene rendered (with the tripled polygons). I have not tested other image formats, but try again, using the pict format on the Surface Baker output.

PixelDust
02-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Well, I tried the PCT24 format, and it still hung after rendering the same polys (the left half of the curved window frame). I didn't increase the segment memory - it was still at 32.

Maybe I have to increase the segment memory, or try another output format. Or maybe it's the geometry. Who knows? I sure don't! :p

Thanks again!

Koen
03-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi,

I'm facing the same problems. I'm trying to bake my scene, but it doesn't seem to work. LW hangs! I've tried and did several things: different filetypes, resolutions, single threading... Nothing helps. All my poly's are quads or trips, so that can't be it. I got a DP G4 800mhz, 1,5Gb RAM and LW 7.5 running.
I just posted a wip, called Everyday Hall. That's the object I want to bake.
Anyway, hopefully someone has the answer soon. Otherwise I'm facing a huge rendertime! :(

Greetz,

Koen

mbaldwin
03-06-2003, 09:26 AM
if you haven't already, make sure you bring this to the attention of Newtek. It seems they're in the process of a new release(a bug fix release, nothing official stated though). If it is an official bug, now's the time to see if they can do something about it.

mlinde
03-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Koen
Hi,

I'm facing the same problems. I'm trying to bake my scene, but it doesn't seem to work. LW hangs! I've tried and did several things: different filetypes, resolutions, single threading... Nothing helps. All my poly's are quads or trips, so that can't be it. I got a DP G4 800mhz, 1,5Gb RAM and LW 7.5 running.
I just posted a wip, called Everyday Hall. That's the object I want to bake.
Anyway, hopefully someone has the answer soon. Otherwise I'm facing a huge rendertime! :(

Greetz,

Koen

How long are you letting it try to bake? It may just be working a long time. Try leaving up the render display image, to see if it is generating an image, and make sure you have NOTHING on your system going to sleep (not HD spin down, not monitor sleep, not system sleep). I forgot this the other night, and it killed a render mid-frame :(