PDA

View Full Version : special effect in wonder woman tv show

rednova
09-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Hi all :

Every week I watch reruns of original wonder woman tv show.
With Linda Carter.
I like the part when she jumps high into the air, I am very impressed they made this
effect without todays computer capabilities.
How did they make this effect ?
DId they use 'wires' and removed them technologically ?
I am very interested in knowing how they pulled it off.

Davewriter
09-08-2015, 08:09 PM
They had two ways of doing it.
The easy was with a stunt woman standing up top. She'd jump off into an airbag and they would reverse it, looking like she was jumping up.
The other was REALLY Kool. Imagine a giant swing, only instead of sitting on it you would stand on it. The bottom step was formed as the letter V. One of the stunt doubles was a mini-me. I doubt she stood more than 4'7" and she looked amazingly like Linda. She'd stand on the "seat" and 3 stunt men would start her swinging. When she was really getting high she'd shift her footing back onto the new bottom edge of the seat and jump.
Not only did she get height, but they would fling the girl out an amazing distance. Sometimes right over the camera setup.
And if she was nice, they'd have an airbag waiting to catch her.
She was absolutly fearless!

rednova
09-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Thank you for replying !!!
I am really happy now, to understand how they made this special effect.

Davewriter
09-09-2015, 08:44 PM
You're Welcome :)
The wackiest one for me was with the A-team.
The stunt co-ordinator was going a shot with George Peppard's stunt double. It was at Magic Mountain. In the shot "George" is hanging from a sky bucket car. "Now wait until it's out about 60'. You're hanging from the car, but you are still fighting the guy inside. You'll swing out and you'll land on the air bag hidden behind those bushes."
If he drops early, he thumps on concrete or impales himself on iron spikes. If he goes late, the bucket lifts up quickly and he's too high to let go.
Lots of real potential death.
The Wacky part - the stunt co-ordinator is sending his Dad out for this stunt.
I don't think I could do that. Have a good time Dad. Try not to die!

hdace
09-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Wow.

shrox
09-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Sometimes it's really simple, like a trampoline hidden by some boxes, or even just turning the camera sideways, like how the climbing scene in THX-1138 was done. They are actually just crawling.

129666 In movie.

129667 Real shot.

50one
09-10-2015, 01:39 AM
Sometimes it's really simple, like a trampoline hidden by some boxes, or even just turning the camera sideways, like how the climbing scene in THX-1138 was done. They are actually just crawling.

129666 In movie.

129667 Real shot.

...Somehow I doubt this. What's the point of a ladder on the floor? I've never seen one, especially in tunnels where people can trip on them or where vehicle access is needed?
I think it was a wall he was climbing - just the shot rotated.

djwaterman
09-10-2015, 05:35 AM
I'm pretty sure Shrox is correct, those were some sort of reinforced bars and not a ladder.

50one
09-10-2015, 05:49 AM
I'm pretty sure Shrox is correct, those were some sort of reinforced bars and not a ladder.

Ahhh ,that makes sense now if they were there for a shot;)

shrox
09-10-2015, 11:13 AM
...Somehow I doubt this. What's the point of a ladder on the floor? I've never seen one, especially in tunnels where people can trip on them or where vehicle access is needed?
I think it was a wall he was climbing - just the shot rotated.

They were added for the movie, they're just props. It's the BART tunnel while it was under construction.

safetyman
09-11-2015, 05:01 AM
Well the real special effect for the Wonder Woman tv show was how her top stayed up. Maybe some hidden double sided tape?

Davewriter
09-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes! And the Wonder Twins were checked regularly. No flashing for family TV.

shrox
09-11-2015, 09:20 PM
I miss being married, she fit that Wonder Woman outfit quite nicely and fulfilled all kinds of teenage dreams...

rednova
09-12-2015, 11:30 AM
@ safety man

hehe I was expecting some racy comment :)

Davewriter
09-12-2015, 09:23 PM
The swing for throwing tiny Wonder Woman is something like this.
It was smaller and could be slapped together in just a few moments, but it will give an idea.
Who needs an invisible plane anyway?
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/watch-this-mad-man-use-a-swing-to-jump-over-an-entire-h-1716284889

Davewriter
09-12-2015, 09:24 PM
The swing for throwing tiny Wonder Woman is something like this.
It was smaller and could be slapped together in just a few moments, but it will give an idea.
Who needs an invisible plane anyway?
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/watch-this-mad-man-use-a-swing-to-jump-over-an-entire-h-1716284889