PDA

View Full Version : quixel -anyone heard of this

vonpietro
09-07-2015, 04:30 PM
http://80.lv/articles/quixel-suite-2-0-pre-release-video/

the video shows- painting textures - looks like the future

This is what i'd like to see in lightwave!!

http://80.lv/vendors/quixel-suite/

wow it's only 99 bucks!!!!!

not sure how it would work with lightwave or if it supports anything that lw can use.

one of the stand out features is something called multisculpt
The new Multisculpting feature allows artists to paint jaw-dropping normals in real-time, using unlimited layers and any PS tools. Endless new possibilites open up as vectors, layer effects, filters, smudges, lattices, blend ifs, brushes, wires and so much more can be combined non-destructively to build a single normal layer.
read - paint normals in realtime!!!!!

anyone using this?

JohnMarchant
09-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Its great, similar to Substance Painter/Designer but works within Photoshop, whereas SP/SD are stand alone. SD has an LWO importer. Ive heard great things about it and PBR in general, looking forward to its release, at them moment i have SP/SD

BokadCastle
09-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Adam Gibson has a series on Ddo for Lightwave.

http://adamgibson3dtraining.com/

- scroll down till you see the titles.

m.d.
09-07-2015, 06:11 PM
played with it a while back.....extremely buggy

went over to substance painter which is more of a industry standard

its got potential...especially for $89 for version 2

MSherak
09-09-2015, 06:37 PM
played with it a while back.....extremely buggy

went over to substance painter which is more of a industry standard

its got potential...especially for $89 for version 2

DDO was out WAAAAYYY before Substance. Sheesh.. I still have the free 1.0 version of DDO. Yes it works in PS and there are so many things that you can do with DDO in seconds that you cannot do in SP. Substance Painter is subpar as a 3D object painter compared to 3DCoat or PS/DDO. I should know I have all of them. It was a good thing that SP came with SD. I would have never bought it on it's own. If you can paint in PS then get DDO. You will be amazed how fast you can get things done.

m.d.
09-09-2015, 10:13 PM
DDO may have been out WAAAAAAAYYYY longer than substance painter...... I had the free version 1 as well. Crashed constantly, basically alpha software.
Looking at the forums half the posts are still obscure crashes and bugs.

I would try it again, but it was literally the buggiest pro app I have used in the last 5 or so years....
I'm fairly happy with zbrush and substance designer/painter combo

Surrealist.
09-09-2015, 11:31 PM
They have been attentive to bugs. In the last release some common bugs were gone.

Having been using it since early versions of dDo I have seen it advance and grow.

Substance Designer is definitely not bug free either.

Having used both I would say that Substance Designer is a much more powerful tool. But at the same time this means spending more time doing something very simple in some cases. A node workflow is far superior. But it is also very resource intensive. So it seems like you have to be careful about resolution in your nodes and so on. It is kind of a complex workflow.

By contrast, Quixel, working in Photoshop, Quixel can crash, but since it does everything it does through a PS file you don't loose anything if it does. I have never had it crash photoshop unless I ran out of memory.

Another contrast between the two is just that Quixel is a much simpler workflow to get some cool effects very fast. You can dig down and have a lot of control as well. And it is photoshop-centric so files can be edited in Photoshop with or without Quixel open.

Pretty much if I need something done fast and easy, I go to Quixel. Seems like it takes hours to do some things in SD I can do in Quixel in a matter of minutes.

It is a trade off. Speed over ultimate control and superior node workflow.

I see advantages of having both. Quixel is definitely in my tool box and pretty much rarely if every crashes. But there are a few bugs still here and there remaining. Overall I can depend on it to deliver to my clients without hitch.

gordonrobb
09-10-2015, 03:45 AM
This update has been a long time coming, but it looks incredible. Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

OlaHaldor
09-10-2015, 06:07 AM
I purchsed the Quixel Suite just about this time last year. Only to find it crashing so much I didn't use it. It also felt rather slow, and I couldn't paint directly on the model. When Substance Painter arrived just months after, I haven't looked back. Now that Quixel is coming in a new version I might install it again and see how it behaves. But my gut is really touchy when it comes to crashing and losing work after the experience I had last year.

Surrealist.
09-10-2015, 02:00 PM
If Quixel crashes you don't loose work. It is still open in layers in a Photoshop file. You can save the work from PS just fine and preserve it. All Quixel is doing is running scripts and accessing PS features.

Also this update is free also for existing users. I have not paid anything since I first bought dDO a few years ago.

Additionally the crash bugs I had last year are not present in the current release. So they have been fixing things. Does not mean all bugs for everyone, but certainly the ones that repeatedly crashed it for me are gone.

pming
09-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Hiya!

Well, seeing as this thread is drifting into the "3d painting/texturing tools with LW" territory...

Has anyone any experience with MARI? Specificallly, MARI Indie, but MARI would do as well. I don't use PS anymore (Adobe lost my business when... [EDIT]: nevermind. Stuff happened). I don't mind using ZBrushes Polypaint for most of my work when/if I ever get to that stage, but importing a base model, UV'ing, making textures, exporting all of it, importing to another package to 'reassemble' the UV's, normal maps, specular maps, etc, is just a lot of work with too many steps where things can go wrong. I'd love to "Model, export; paint, save. Done".

How is Bodypaint stacking up nowadays? Maxon is money-oriented, however, so I'm reluctant to go with them if/when I get the funds for it. I used it when it was in "beta" waaaaaay back when, and quite liked it overall. But I've heard rumors of it being notoriously both expensive and slow unless you have a really skookum machine (re: a $5000+ computer set up). I do not have one of those machines, so I need something that's good on the resources.

^_^

Paul L. Ming