PDA

View Full Version : MF_MotionBaker: ? / baking out world child of a child locations

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Known as one of the few bullet-proof scripts out there, but I can't get MF_MotionBaker to work for me.

I thought it would bake out World Positions on something childed to a child, but all I'm seeing in the saved file (Save Motion) are baked versions on the keyframed locations, not the transforms resultant from being a grandchild of two rotating objects.

I know this is me/pilot error, but there seems to be limited scope to make a misstep. Where am I going wrong?

Tnx!
EDIT: here's the file I'm triying to bake out, the CONE object:

RebelHill
09-07-2015, 03:21 PM
childed? Do you mean parented?

Eitherway... It only bakes the existing motion, as it stands in its parent space. If you want to bake to world, use my motionbaker.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Excellent. ::genuflects::

* - not seeing it: is it embedded in another package?
++++++++++++++++
EDIT1
RH, figured it might be in Animation Toolbox (Free), but when I hit the button I get "Error: Can't find specified server."

LW 11.6.3/ W7
+++++++++++++++++
EDIT2

Ok, found it thru the forum (couldn't see on website), but still wondering about "Can't find specified server."

Thanks much.
+++++++++++++++++
EDIT3

RH, using your RH motionbaker, I'm still getting just keyframed motion, not the twirling path I'm expecting from a child of a child of rotating objects.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong nomenclature, maybe "baking" isn't what I thought it was.

RebelHill
09-07-2015, 06:22 PM
motion baking... bakes motion on an item, to keframes... what else were you expecting.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 06:43 PM
motion baking... bakes motion on an item, to keframes... what else were you expecting.
I thought it would also take into account any parenting, motion modifiers and constraints applied to an item.

Specifically in this case, parenting. Perhaps there's another word for this procedure.

RebelHill
09-07-2015, 07:04 PM
It does account for modifiers, constraints and such... hence the point of baking... to get this stuff down to keyframes.

As for parenting... as I said before, motions (keys) are recorded IN PARENT SPACE... ALWAYS.

If you want to bake out the motion from the parent space, use the WORLD option in the baker.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 07:39 PM
"WORLD option in the baker."
I don't see one literally in the baker dialog, do you mean the Coord System switch?

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Seemed harder than it should be, but finally got there. Never did find out how to simply get a child object's motion path as derived from its moving parent out, but noticed posts keep talking about constraints, so I added another null and constrained it to the child in question. Baking this tracking null was easy. Seems roundabout, but it got the job done. (I mean, isn't parenting a form of constraint?)

So, the point of this was making a regular, yet elaborate, motion path for an extrusion. Here's the resulting object:

Path Extruded a single POINT to get a Rail, and then Rail Extruded a disk. Path Extrude has very few controls, so it's better to make a Rail first to give yourself more options.

++++
Oh, here's the object: 129643

jeric_synergy
09-08-2015, 12:24 AM
It's addictive-- like having a spirograph connected to a 3d printer:

RebelHill
09-08-2015, 03:50 AM
No I mean the world switch... you're using the wrong baker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQeWfXi6ZEI&index=35&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX

jeric_synergy
09-08-2015, 09:14 AM
No I mean the world switch... you're using the wrong baker.
Animation Toolbox isn't working here, as I said above. When I hit the button I get "Error: Can't find specified server."

I would very much like to get it working.

RebelHill
09-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Try downloading and installing the latest version again.

jeric_synergy
09-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Try downloading and installing the latest version again.
Done. It fired up this time, haven't tried anything yet. Thanks!

EDIT: Baked 1. So far, so good. Now need to examine dox.