PDA

View Full Version : Olde school "Bone Split" w/numeric input?

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 02:06 PM
The original native "Bone Split" feature (in Layout) was non-interactive and had a numeric input dialog. The current "Bone Split" and "Python Bone Split" features are interactive and seem to lack any sort of numeric input.

If I'm not mistaken (and it's very likely I am), this means that the olde school version would allow you to make 3 equal length bones out of 1 very easily, which takes a few more clicks with the newer shiney tools. --Search on the ASSETS page (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/contains/split%20/) using "split" and "bone split" showed no hits for bone related splitting. (Although I'll bet RHigget has something up it's sleeve....)

Any routines for splitting bones into an ODD number of divisions quickly and with minimal fuss?

+++
On a related note: I believe that at small grid values, ~5mm, the tool handles for the Split Bones tools, both of them, become very difficult to see&manipulate.

johnliebler
09-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Hey Jeric, the old plugin is still there, but it's kinda hidden. It's called BT bonebreaker if I recall correctly. search for "bonebreaker" anyway, then add it into your menus or key commands.

Greenlaw
09-07-2015, 02:28 PM
For splitting in thirds, you can click-drag the cut-point to 1/3 the length of a bone before splitting, and then use the default 1/2 way distance for the second split. I know that's not nearly the same thing as what you're asking about because there's no numeric feedback, only eyeballing, but if you're okay about being a little less precise, it's a good workaround.

@Johnliebler, good find! I didn't even think about that.

G.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Hey Jeric, the old plugin is still there, but it's kinda hidden. It's called BT bonebreaker if I recall correctly. search for "bonebreaker" anyway, then add it into your menus or key commands.
Thanks johnliebler: it's right there in my menus, but the name scared me off. :thumbsup:

Also, luv the avatar. Weird to think that's happening millions of times a day in our cells.