PDA

View Full Version : Bubble PoP coherent shader

adk
09-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Just toying around with coherently sticking things to other things :D

adk
09-08-2015, 06:56 AM
Similar stuff but with billboards this time and a perspective view for a bit more clarity, maybe :)

luciano
09-08-2015, 07:34 AM
nice and interesting

Dodgy
09-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Funky ;)

daforum
09-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Cool stuff.
Is this done with instances?

adk
09-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys. It might come in handy somewhere down the track.

Cool stuff.
Is this done with instances?

The original one doesn't involve instancing, it's just nodal displacement of a predefined screen grid, the later ones are instanced as I'm trying to get my head around some more options.
Here are a few further tests.

50one
09-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Very nice.

adk
09-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Excuse the hacked animation and crappy scene garnish :) yet another small test of sticking these to deforming geo plus a bit of scattering/scaling.
Kind of gives a new meaning to flat shaded :D
Don't know where I'm headed with this tbh but I seem to be drawn to this pixilated / simplified representation for some reason.

Snosrap
09-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Spill the beans! That is so cool.

50one
09-25-2015, 01:51 AM
Looks cool!

omichon
09-25-2015, 07:54 AM
Looks really interesting, adk. The funny thing is that I am trying to achieve something of this kind, more or less, but without much success so far...at least, your last test gives me some stimulation :D

adk
09-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys. Glad you like it.
I'll post up some basic scenes as soon as I get a chance to clean them up and get rid of needless stuff.

Essentially this is just a grid of flat unwelded squares / circles (anything you like - can be 3d even) that sits behind the camera (parented to it) and is displaced onto your selected scene geometry.
This obviously makes it coherent. The other way I did this was with a point cloud that's displaced in the same manner as above, which then gets instances applied. Bit more flexible that way.
DPKit part move and Raytrace Geometry are used for most of this setup. Using Raytrace Geo means you can be selective in terms of what it sticks to.

This shaded gif shows how they are stuck in space, and I moved the grid in front, far behind the geometry so you can see it.

probiner
09-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Someone is having fun with raycast :D nice one!

adk
09-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Someone is having fun with raycast :D nice one!

Yeah probiner, that along with part move are cool things to experiment with. Just wish I had your maths/vector skills to push this a bit further. Amongst other stuff, next on the agenda is converting this CityEngine idea of mine into LW instances and this technique. Would make for an interesting effect I think.129961

PS: it would help if I got the node name correct in the first place. Raycast Geo it most certainly is.

omichon
09-27-2015, 06:05 AM
Looks really nice, adk !
I wish I had your math/vector skills...then I could dream of probiner's ones :D

daforum
09-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Ooo that's lovely!
I mean everything so far :)

adk
09-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Here's the first set guys. I'm a bit beat so apologies in advance if I miss anything / mistakes (bound to be some) plus the lack of explanation.
I'll follow this up as soon as I get the next chance to go through all those scenes that I generated.
It is pretty basic and self evident.

This is done in 2015.3 and uses the following nodes.

LW native - Raycast Geometry & RayTrace
DPKit - Part Move
Pom's Nodes - RayShade

My main points of call in terms of free nodes are ...
Denis Pontonnier
DB&W Tools (including Pom's)
True Arts Node Library

Scene 01 - basic square grid
Scene 02 - basic cube grid
Scene 03 - basic triangulated grid
Scene 04 - basic dual circular grid with animated null

There's a much better version of the shader that traces the background geometry onto the displaced grid posted up by XswampyX on one of these threads so I'll post that up if I find it.
Where are you XswampyX btw ? Hope you are well mate :thumbsup:

Also the displaced geometry one has a bug / flaw / limitation (not sure which yet) that I probably need Denis to look at as I think it's a Part Move issue. Most likely my fault in some way - sorry Denis.
Essentially VPR previews are slightly off in terms of displacement, which gets fixed by and F9 render :thumbsup: but are wrong/off again with F10 ( and the thumbsdown icon doesn't work)

Enjoy

50one
09-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Thanks for sharing, gonna have a look soon!

omichon
09-28-2015, 08:59 AM
Please, not apologies...but thanks a lot for that adk. I am sure I'll learn something of it :)

adk
09-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Thanks for sharing, gonna have a look soon!

Not a problem 50one, hopefully you guys finds it useful in some way. I'll eventually post all those scenes that I made gifs of.

adk
09-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Please, not apologies...but thanks a lot for that adk. I am sure I'll learn something of it :)

Here to help Olivier

... I wish I had your math/vector skills...then I could dream of probiner's ones :D

I wish I had half your talent Olivier plus some of probiner's tech skills, then I could really cook up some better stuff :D

omichon
09-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Here to help Olivier

I wish I had half your talent Olivier plus some of probiner's tech skills, then I could really cook up some better stuff :D

Thanks for the kind words adk. I guess we all have to deal with our frustrations ;)
I'll let you know if I can make good cooking of it.

adk
09-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the kind words adk. I guess we all have to deal with our frustrations ;)
I'll let you know if I can make good cooking of it.

Just giving credit where it's due :) I'm a big fan of your work Olivier.
Hopefully I can get the deforming geo stuff (Basil - the amazing strolling guy) working correctly. Which you seemed interested in yes ?

omichon
09-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Just giving credit where it's due :) I'm a big fan of your work Olivier.
Hopefully I can get the deforming geo stuff (Basil - the amazing strolling guy) working correctly. Which you seemed interested in yes ?

Absolutely. I draw some "cubist" sketches, a week ago or so, based on that idea of spreading parts of a scenery onto some frames...nothing really elaborated at this point.