PDA

View Full Version : What is the first step to learn tracking/compositing real life with cg elements?

Farhad_azer
09-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Hi there
VERY excited about this post, i cant wait for your kind answers as usual.

A few question plz
1) i want to start with free softwares for now. Blender and voodoo. Do u have any toughts concerning this?
2) is fusion (free version) capable of handling camera tracking and exporting to Lw?
3) is there a perfect web/utube guide for lw specifically?
4) most importantly, is this area of Cg very challenging and difficult or it is straight forward?

PLEASE help me on this so that i get a huge momentum. I hardly can keep my eyes open and the first thing that i will do tomorrow morning would be viewing ur kind helps.

THANKS in advance fellas.

pinkmouse
09-07-2015, 12:45 PM
The first step? Get this book. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Matchmoving-The-Invisible-Camera-Tracking/dp/111835205X

vonpietro
09-07-2015, 04:32 PM
go get digital fusion- its free- and fun
and has good tracking functions
plus it's compositing - which is what you'll need to do if you want to track

blender has a decent enough compositing area - but i thought masking features were awful, i mean i had to hunt down tutorials that showed a convoluted way of creating a mask.

meanwhile fusion has awesome masking

Farhad_azer
09-09-2015, 12:52 PM
I have Fusion and I really like it.

Dumb question but is Fusion capable of doing what PFtrack or Syntheyes does or it is totally different kind of tracking?

What is the technical name of tracking the camera motion of a clip from real life and sending it to 3d software?

I will definitely buy required materials but it would be great if you point me to some youtube tutorials which cover the generals. I have found a couple of tracking stuffs for blender but still I am not sure if they are appropriate for working with LW3D.

vonpietro
09-09-2015, 04:26 PM
matchmove is a autodesk studio program that will give a full 3d track, its first generation match moving, that autodesk has made free.. its good enough for some things, not good enough for many things. =) But still it's one more free tool

fusion does image tracking or 2d tracking.
there is a match move (the technical term) but i'm not sure if it's 3d, a bunch of the tracking features i'm really not sure of in fusion still.
there really needs to be more tutorials for fusion, and there just isnt much free stuff.

Whelkn
09-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Fusion does not have a 3d tracker. and doesnt need on really. Just get the free version of Fusion and buy a license of Syntheyes. you really can not beat that combo. I have used them both for years.

Farhad_azer
09-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks to your reply now I understand why people who use fusion also use other trackers. I was confused first but now I see that the subject was 2d tracking vs 3d tracking.

I watched your great reel Mr. Nelson (Whelken). do you have any small presentation for your works somewhere? I know my question seems stupid but for educational purposes I downloaded some free software like voodoo and blender and did small stuffs and the process seems to be soooo complicated.

I would definitely buy necessary stuffs but for now I want to warm up myself with small steps.
so thanks again and any more helps are greatly appreciated.

tischbein3
09-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi there
1) i want to start with free softwares for now. Blender and voodoo. Do u have any toughts concerning this?
Concerning tracking:Both have their advantages learning wise, with blender you do learn user revised tracking while using voodoo is much
more an automated track solution A lot what you learn with those programs can be applied to other tracking solutions. (syntheyes)

Composite wise I would recommend fusion: Its free, outruns blender in performance and features.

Good learning ressources tracking wise are

https://www.ssontech.com/learning.html
also "track match blend" from sebastian könig is a good start especially for using blender

Farhad_azer
09-14-2015, 11:21 PM
GR8 link tischbein3, thank you. Syntheyes seems to be a MUST.

p.s. I am having lots of fun with voodoo by doing small stuffs.

Shawn Farrell
09-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Hey and you need some great music to inspire your creations and score your finished composites so first, enter your email at www.soundtraxxmusic.com and get the first 100 tracks from SoundTraxx Volume I for free, then checkout a lot of the other tracks available in the $35.00 lifetime subscription when your ready You can join for life for just $35.00 to have full access to the awesome and forever expanding SoundTraxx Music Library. The SoundTraxx Music Library will make all your projects "POP" with the added dimension of great music!

Here is just one track from SoundTraxx Volume III with a LightWave & SpeedEDIT composited video for your pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTXV4xjS9rw