PDA

View Full Version : Substance Painter/Designer.

JohnMarchant
09-07-2015, 02:47 AM
Hi All,

Well got myself some nice new software and looking for tips/help in using it with LightWave.

Substance Painter and the whole PBR thing looks great, i just got Substance Indie and would appreciate any guidance for using it within LW. What is the workflow, i realise it seems to be export OBJ from LW and import into SP. Are there any nodes available for PBR in LW.

Any help will be great i can see SP being another great tool like ZBrush for using with LW.

Marander
09-07-2015, 06:52 AM
Hi

You can directly open LWO in Substance.

Here's a node I modified for PBR (modified compound node from substance forum). I guess there are better ways but it works for me.

JohnMarchant
09-07-2015, 07:09 AM
I did not know that, i could not see a drop down for LWO, only the usual OBJ, 3DS and the like.

Thanks very much for the node as well, very handy as im new to Substance. Is this in Painter or Designer. Sorry for the stupid questions.

Marander
09-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Hi John, I use this for 3D-Coat and Substance Painter. Maybe it works for Designer too but haven't really done too much in it. Lots of potential in SD but also quite complex.

JohnMarchant
09-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Yes its complex but nodes are what we all have to get into, be it in LW or others, so its a learning curve but needs to be done.

So you use 3D Coat, i have it but hardly done anything with it as my work now has not really been organic or character driven.

If you would not mind can you give the the basic workflow you use for LW to SP.

I also found out that there is indeed a LWO option in new project, really need to read the online manual more and get some more videos.

Is there an option to download the Manuals from Algorithmic, i can only see online versions.

Thanks very much for your help, ive already learnt something i did not know.

Regards, John

Marander
09-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Welcome!

Not really much of a workflow, just using it on hobby projects. I also didn't find an offline pdf manual, just watched some tutorials and mostly learning by doing.

I now do the UV mapping in 3D-Coat, save the LWO, select it as mesh in Substance, create a fill layer, select a base material, adjust its parameters, create a paint layer then right click and create a black or white mask, then paint using the various brushes. Then export maps and select them in the PBR node in Layout. I sometimes have to edit the image settings / color space to have good results. A plugin would really be great, I was thinking of writing one myself but what I heared is the in Maya for example you can also edit the Substance / SBAR material parameters which is really cool, it also allows you to create animated textures. And this would not be possible (at least for me) with a lw plugin / script.

In 3D-Coat I can create normal and curvature maps, haven't really used it in Substance Painter but I'll try that soon, since it's really useful in 3DC to work with filters like edge wear. In Substance Painter you can right click on a paint layer and create a generator, then you can select one of the generator profiles like imperfection, edge wear etc. The particle brushes are also much fun to play with.

If you want to use Smart Materials you can drag and drop them to the layers list and edit / paint the masks.

What I found cool is the use of stencils (button S pressed if I recall correctly). You can use the same navigation as with the objects, size, turn and move them, and paint on it. I participated in a feature request to draw straight lines using a hotkey which was implemented quickly in one of the latest versions. The release cycle, customer participation and support is really great.

Unfortunately Substance Painter 1.5 has a problem with the newest NVidia drivers in Win10 so it crashes immediately after applying a material but I guess this will be solved soon.

Therefore I have more played with 3DC. I guess I will upgrade from educational to pro version towards the end of the year to be able to create larger maps.

JohnMarchant
09-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks for that, not had a crash yet and im on the latest drivers for Windows 10.

Yes the support seems very smooth and they seem to update quite a bit as well, which is nice to see.

I've just skimmed the surface at the moment but im sure i will get the hang of it and how it works. Just looking
forward to taking my textures up a level.

Regards, John

Markc
09-07-2015, 11:45 AM
John, Adam Gibson has a few Substance Painter videos on his site (Learn3dsoftware.com).
He has a $7 sale which ends today.

JohnMarchant
09-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Yes i have some of Adams other stuff, he sells on Learn3DSoftware and Liberty3D, thanks for the heads up, i will take a look.

JohnMarchant
09-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Just got the first 4 volumes of Adams Substance and Lightwave. Ive had videos of Adams before and they are normally clear and precise. look forward to viewing soon.

Marander
09-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Hey I just found this (Substance Painter 1.0 and Substance Designer 4.6 offline pdf manual):

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/PDF+Documentation
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/download/attachments/89292894/Substance%20Designer%204.6.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1421638171207&api=v2

Not as good as the online manual but I like to have pdf's because I travel a lot and like to read on my tablet.

Here's the online documentation:
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SD5/Substance+Designer+User%27s+Guide
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Substance+Painter

And then there's the free PBR guide, very valuable and compact information about physical based rendering, shading and light:
https://www.allegorithmic.com/system/files/software/download/build/PBR_Guide_Vol.1.pdf
https://www.allegorithmic.com/system/files/software/download/build/PBR_Guide_Vol.2.pdf

JohnMarchant
09-08-2015, 01:04 AM
Thanks allot mate, same as me i travel often and like to have something on the iPad to read.

eagleeyed
09-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Just a quick thanks for posting that node Marander.

Didn't know about that, a quick Google search and voila, I am a very happy person. :D

Time to purchase Substance Live.

Marander
09-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Welcome and have fun with Substance!

JohnMarchant
03-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Still having fun with substance and as i now have Photoshop i've picked up Quixel as well just to see how they both work.