PDA

View Full Version : Rendering

jasonwestmas
12-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Here's the render, I'm new at this render stuff. I'm using a distance light with raytrace turned off and a spotlight with shadow mapping on.

I have this 7,000 polygon model that I wanted to render in LW because the light just looks awsome. Problem is is that the smooth threshold angle doesn't really impress me. I'm getting edges where I don't want them (Around the nose) and I don't want edges anywhere. When I crank up the Smooth Threshold I fix one problem area only to create a new problem area. Subpatching does work but it distorts the UV's, hours of texturing work down the drain. Is there a smooth angle that fixes just about any edge? Am I going to have to opperate on this model again?

Thanks for the feedback

jasonwestmas
12-06-2003, 02:54 PM
I think I found a solution. I spun some of the triangles around the nose using ym_Trichanger and that seemed to fix the major light distortions pretty well without messing up the UV's. I also noticed that messing with the settings in shadow map give me lesser and greater levels of distortion. I think I got it to work best when I set the shadow map size to 750 and the fuzziness to 1.25. Any other ideas or suggestions?

drclare
12-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Did you try subdividing your model with the metaform option? I don't know what that would do to your UVs but it would smooth your model out and put less strain on the texture smoothing.

toby
12-07-2003, 04:54 PM
artifacts are still showing from the shadow map, try reducing the shadow map angle and then increase the map size if neccessary.