PDA

View Full Version : Kosher?: Mesh, skelegons, & spline all in one layer?

jeric_synergy
09-06-2015, 06:34 PM
I don't know why it wouldn't be, but typing this lets me stall just as long as I'm typing, so:

Is it allowed to have the geometry, some skelegons, and a spline to be used for Spline Control, all in the same (and sole) layer of an LWO?

IIRC Spline Control uses the first spline in an object, so this should be totally ok, right? (Asking because troublesome so far....)

TNX!

Greenlaw
09-06-2015, 08:40 PM
Not sure why one would make the effort to complicate a setup like that but I guess it would work. The the curve will become your spline and the mesh will just be ignored--more specifically, the mesh will be present in the scene but it will have no effect on the object using the the spline for motion or deformations.

Skelegons, of course, aren't anything in Layout until you convert them to bones. If you convert them in the same layer as the spline and mesh, I think the bones should affect the mesh but not the spline. But I've never tried to use it this way and I'm just guessing.

G.

jeric_synergy
09-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Well, I didn't really go out of my way: the spline was already in there to extrude a cord, and I also used the same spline to generate the skelegons.

Seeeeeee, it alllll makessz perrrrfect senze.....

Like this!: 129616

++++
OTOH, this pretty much defeats any advantages one would have with using SControl, because there's no nodes to move....

+++++2
Hmmm, not getting the sequence right: I used CURVE_TO_SPLINE, then converted the Skelegons, them applied SC, then got a big fat mess. Workin' on it.....

Greenlaw
09-07-2015, 11:16 AM
I guess I'm not sure why it all needs to be in one layer. Does the animation require an unusual setup?

G.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 11:22 AM
#aflw: No, it 'just happened' that way in Modeler. It's a pretty academic question.

In fact, because Bones are usually first-level children of an item, they massively interfere with Curve-to-Spline. Having Bones in a 'spline container' seems like a non-starter in general, even though bones can be the descriptors of the virtual spline. (Obviously, since Curve-to-Spline uses Joints for the same purpose.)

Unless someone has thought of something clever that would require this, I'm guessing it's best avoided.

Greenlaw
09-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Okee doke. :)

Out of curiosity, I messed with it a little this morning and reached more or less same conclusion.

G.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Even negative results are valuable, as they save time down the road. :thumbsup: