PDA

View Full Version : LightWave on a Apple Mac

JohnMarchant
09-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi Everyone, im after some advice on using LW on a Mac. I have been asked if i can work on a Mac using my LW and assets and to be honest ive never really used anything of mine on a Mac so i have some questions and hopefully some kind Mac/PC user can give me guidance. The machine they have is a 2015 iMac with 32Gb of memory. Im after knowing any gottas i may run in to as well. I have told them that i can but may have to bootcamp the Mac. Is this wise or better to run in the Mac OS.

Here are the questions,

1, I understand that third party plugins need to be Mac specific, how about uncompiled and compiled scripts and also python scripts. Do these work on Mac and PC the same or do they all need to be platform specific.

2, Will i be able to use my own PC made assets on a Mac, specifically what image file formats does Mac OS not like.

3, Finally, does anyone know if LW installed on Mac is better or worse than PC LW installed in Bootcamped Mac.

I'm really in uncharted territory here and would like to give this serious consideration, if worse comes to worse i can ship my hard wear but would rather use theirs and not mine. Is LW on Mac so much different or pretty much the same.

Thanks for your time.

Regards, John.

SpawnSP
09-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Hi!

I started using LW on my Mac Pro on OSX, but I ended switching to Windows because I found it faster on some aspects such as mesh freezing on render (a LOT faster on Windows, big difference on large subdivided objects), and Layout - Modeler object sync. Other than that, it's pretty much the same software. I think that image formats rely on LW itself, so it should be platform independent. I don't know about scripts, because I don't use them.

I also must say that I'm still on 11.6.3, so I don't know if 2015 has improved on those particular performance differences.

PD: Un saludo, paisano! ;)

lertola2
09-06-2015, 04:54 PM
1 Scripts are cross platform so you should be fine with those.

2 The same image formats are supported on the Mac and PC.

3 I have not used Bootcamp for a few years but when I did I found it to be a pain in the neck mostly because the Bootcamp system could not access most of my hard drives. So if there were resources on my Mac that I forgot to transfer to the bootcamp disk before starting it I had to reboot into the mac to get them. I think Parallels would be a better choice if you need to run Windows on your mac. If you are going to use Bootcamp or Parallels you need to buy and install a copy of Windows also. I installed bootcamp so I could use Lightwave with PC specific plugins but that does not seem to be much of an issue these days. Most plugins are now available for Mac and PC.

Lightwave for the most part is the same on the Mac and PC. Probably your bigger problem will be navigating the Mac system if you are not familiar.

JohnMarchant
09-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Thanks for this, ive heard that there is another form of bootcamp, virtual drive or something, where you can switch from one to the other without a reboot. Mind you not an issue for me as my stuff is mostly on external hard drives.

It was mostly about scenes, objects, images and scripts, if they run on a Mac then i won't need bootcamp at all. So all i need is some help with getting around a Mac UI and i should be ok.

3dworks
09-07-2015, 12:29 AM
1. usually, no problems. some few scripts may be incompatible/ not 100% functional if they invoke windows specific functions.
2. yes, all.
3. i did not notice performance differences in everyday work.

as a tip: under OSX it is good to create a 'Preferences' folder within the LW folder to use custom configs. LW will use it automatically, if existing. handy also if using different LW versions. No more need to delve into the OSX System folder area, where configs are stored by default.

cheers

markus

JohnMarchant
09-07-2015, 01:17 AM
Hi Markus,

Thanks for that and the advice. So looks like my only problem is to learn Mac OS.