PDA

View Full Version : sketch color is just so annoying!

prometheus
09-06-2015, 07:11 AM
I was about to work with some artwork to trace..loaded a backdrop and I need sketchcolor to be something extreme in color to be able to see the outlines against the artwork.

now..when I set sketchcolor to blue or red or whatever...sure starting the tracing and modeling works fine, but then when using the knife tool to cut segments, the sketch color getīs broken and turns white instead of what i want for color wireframe..most annoying.

Michael

Snosrap
09-06-2015, 08:23 AM
I think you have to go into display options to change the default sketch color to match the new color you've selected so all new cuts or geometry can get the same color.

jeric_synergy
09-06-2015, 09:16 AM
I think you have to go into display options to change the default sketch color to match the new color you've selected so all new cuts or geometry can get the same color.
?? How is prom working in a different color WITHOUT already doing that? I'm assuming he's creating new geometry, not altering old-- don't you have to switch default sketch color in order to work in the new color? Or is there some temporary setting?

hrgiger
09-06-2015, 09:53 AM
It doesnt seem to matter even if i set default sketch color, when I create new geometry, it always makes it blue until I change it again. Its super annoying.

probiner
09-06-2015, 10:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/g6xNyeF.png

Changed the polygons color do dark red, change the default color in display options to dark red, make some knife cuts.

Kryslin
09-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Under display options, there is a default sketch color entry. When creating new geometry, It's respecting that. While using knife and bevel, it created the additional geometry with the new default sketch color. Using LWCAD, I'll get white geometry, because it doesn't pick up the default sketch color from LW... It has it's own setting. (LW 2015.3 x64)

jeric_synergy
09-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Now I'm really confused... except that it seems LWCad has a bug/questionable-design-choice.

Snosrap
09-06-2015, 11:11 AM
?? How is prom working in a different color WITHOUT already doing that? I'm assuming he's creating new geometry, not altering old-- don't you have to switch default sketch color in order to work in the new color? Or is there some temporary setting?

I've got in a mouse pop-up. Not sure where it is in menus. It doesn't change the default color in the display options.

jeric_synergy
09-06-2015, 11:24 AM
I've got in a mouse pop-up. Not sure where it is in menus. It doesn't change the default color in the display options.
Right, thanks! #aflw

I thought of a feature that dialog could use...... ;)
(Somebody else make the request, ok?)

prometheus
09-06-2015, 02:27 PM

Yepp..that works, thanks...apart from that..questionable if it should behave as it does when setting a sketchcolor and then extending and cutting and sketch color result changing.

jeric_synergy
09-06-2015, 02:47 PM
(it's a sickness...)

SINCE "Sketch Color" calls up a dialog anyway, a checkbox for "Make Default Sketch Color" would be a good addition to the dialog.

(Although, IMO, a dialog is dumb , when it should be a dropdown list full of colors directly. Calling up a dialog with a menu in it..... just lame.)

(3 clicks when it should be accomplished in one click and a drag. :screwy: :compbeati :2guns: )

--Submitted as a Feature Request Report.
(Case LWF-412) LWM: Sketch Color dialog addition: checkbox for "Make Default"

prometheus
09-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Meeh..I just want sketch color to be whatever I set all selected polygons to, and I do not want it to change while working on it, not until I set othe colors for other polygons.
and I also just want a color picker tool( I think jeric wants that too..instead of dropdown list) , to set a sketchcolor with unlimited colors in order to be able to adjust the wireframe to whatever material you have on the object.
and I also just want to be able to set a default color that always starts whit that set when loading modeler.

Thatīs just three...I also just want requests. :)

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 08:56 AM
The checkbox I mentioned would be like the one in the New Surface dialog-- persistent.

The UI doesn't really support arbitrary colors, I'm OK with that.

Snosrap
09-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Meeh..I just want sketch color to be whatever I set all selected polygons to, and I do not want it to change while working on it,

What if you work in a team environment and hate the colors the other guy used on the model? It happens every day for me and that's why I have "Change Sketch Color" as a quick mouse pop-up. :)

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Back to wireframe you two!

prometheus
09-07-2015, 12:04 PM
The checkbox I mentioned would be like the one in the New Surface dialog-- persistent.

The UI doesn't really support arbitrary colors, I'm OK with that.

Have no clue of what you mean by arbitrary colors, is it impossible or what? odd that you can set edge, point, polygon, normal color to whatever you want ..but not sketch color.
I would like it to be as my mockup, and actually..the default menu just canīt be impossible to code just like my mockup active selection color..or?
so that would mean ..no dropdown menu, and it would mean full range of colors to set as default and full range of colors to set for dedicated active selection colors.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=129621&d=1441649035

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 12:18 PM
My bad: I meant, currently Modeler is set up to work with (not quite 16?) color slots. While it may be able to access 24M colors, there's only <16 'slots'.

Back in the day, when LWM was coded, that probably seemed like a lot. It's probably just an arbitrary limitation now, maybe historically related to OGL limits?

While we're at it, can we get animated rainbow shifting XOR type Sketch 'color'? That'll contrast with EVERYTHING.

Sensei
09-07-2015, 02:12 PM
loaded a backdrop and I need sketchcolor to be something extreme in color to be able to see the outlines against the artwork.

The simplest solutions are the best one (Occam Razor): why don't you change colors of backdrop in Photoshop or other image editing app, to the one that won't cause issue with LW sketch wireframe lines..

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 02:14 PM
I often use INVERT on my backdrops, sometimes repeatedly, for different parts of the image.

Can one INVERT without opening the Display Panel? That'd be swell.

Sensei
09-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Can one INVERT without opening the Display Panel? That'd be swell.

Possible to write as plugin. After all I am rotating image used by backdrop (regenerate whole image) in Transform Filter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUD1Y_y7xPc

spherical
09-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Did adjusting Brightness and Contrast on the BG not help?

jwiede
09-07-2015, 06:56 PM

That rarely helps much when dealing with colors that "blend" into the workspace/materials in use. Having manual invert for bg would be useful, as would a "dynamic XOR" sketch color mode.

I think the problem is that fundamentally, there are too many situations where any statically-defined color choice will encounter problems -- having a few "dynamic color" options would help mitigate that issue (without necessitating a complete reworking of GUI colors). Obviously, that's still a workaround for LW's limited UI color-handling capabilities, but an effective one until a longer-term UI/UX solution can be put in place. The real solution is a complete, consistent redesign of UI/UX color usage, but that requires major reworking/replacing of the UI toolkit as well.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Yup, what jwiede said: no one static color is going to work.

prometheus
09-08-2015, 04:31 AM
The simplest solutions are the best one (Occam Razor): why don't you change colors of backdrop in Photoshop or other image editing app, to the one that won't cause issue with LW sketch wireframe lines..

I thought occams razor was "The simplest solutions Most often are the best ones" and with that comes exceptions. and if we apply it on a selectee basis, the simplest solution would be to have enough colors from scratch rather than tweaking something in another program..though the lightwave team wouldnīt agree since they would have to code it first :)

Yes I can do that...but I prefer not to...you canīt get a proper balance with guesswork..to adjust in photoshop...reload..and then..not good enough..back in photoshop and do it again etc..sometime it might work directly
and sometimes not.
This wasnīt the main question for my thread though, I did put that it as a sort of whining feature request, we shouldnīt have to adust the image in photoshop to compensate the lack of more colors for wireframe in lightwave.
You are sort of right, photoshop is the simplest solution today, but it should be simpler than that..ergo, a larger scope of colors for wireframes.

nope..I couldnīt get a good balance between the wireframe color and the backdrop that way either.

ianr
09-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Hi senei & Prom,
I you will find in William of Ockham's first outing of his Razor

" Entities , (hypotheses) should not be multipied unnessarily"

Friar William of Ockham,Surrey 1287-1343

Alot of people have modded it down the road, but above is the right one.
He was a great guy it seems,living well beyond his time. Bless him.

prometheus
09-08-2015, 09:17 AM
The obvious truth to why I rarely use a Razor?...I got sensitive skin, thus I leave a couple of days of stubble..I mostly use a beard trimmer though. :) so there you go for the club of very interesting things to know.

jeric_synergy
09-08-2015, 09:22 AM
I disagree, prom: any photograph is most likely to have gradients that no one color will make easy to trace.

I think A) thicker wireframes and B) the easy ability to cycle thru colors/backgrounds, would be elements of a better solution.

Or some kind of border on the wireframe while you're creating geometry,

prometheus
09-08-2015, 10:24 AM
I disagree, prom: any photograph is most likely to have gradients that no one color will make easy to trace.

I think A) thicker wireframes and B) the easy ability to cycle thru colors/backgrounds, would be elements of a better solution.

Or some kind of border on the wireframe while you're creating geometry,

disagree?..donīt think so..I am all with you on that a photograph is most likely to have gradients that no one color will make easy to trace, thereīs nothing to disagree on with that...but the point I make about full color range is valid, you just canīt disagree on that a full range color would better than those 13 colors we got today..or can you?

What you said about cycle colors is a good idea too, and also thicker wireframe options.

lightscape
09-08-2015, 10:37 AM
I could be misreading the issue. Is it solved?
I never had any problem with sketch/wireframe color when setting the default sketch color in display options.
That's for new geometry.

For old lwo files I change them to whatever I want by selecting in poly mode and hitting "i" in keyboard and editing the wire color there. Been there since lw 9 afaik.

prometheus
09-08-2015, 10:50 AM
I could be misreading the issue. Is it solved?
I never had any problem with sketch/wireframe color when setting the default sketch color in display options.
That's for new geometry.

For old lwo files I change them to whatever I want by selecting in poly mode and hitting "i" in keyboard and editing the wire color there. Been there since lw 9 afaik.

probably solved..if there is anything to be solved really.
the initial problem was cutting through geometry and it would change sketch color, it basicly donīt care about what sketch color you set in the detail tab/sketch color..it will use default sketch color...so you simply have to make sure your default
color is set to what you want to work with..then it will not pose any big problem...so it is pretty much as you say with default color.

jeric_synergy
09-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Depending on your habits, it's also Good To Know that the Display Options panel is AMODAL-- you can just leave it open.

Rather than using SKETCH COLOR to change your current (vs. default) Sketch Color, use the Default Sketch Color in the Display Options panel and you'll never have generated geometry in different colors.

Workflow, baby. Hmmm, maybe I'll add this to the "Basic Stuff LW'ers Should Know..." thread.

prometheus
09-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Depending on your habits, it's also Good To Know that the Display Options panel is AMODAL-- you can just leave it open.

Rather than using SKETCH COLOR to change your current (vs. default) Sketch Color, use the Default Sketch Color in the Display Options panel and you'll never have generated geometry in different colors.

Workflow, baby. Hmmm, maybe I'll add this to the "Basic Stuff LW'ers Should Know..." thread.

I already got too many windows opened up, and it wont help much having them minimized either..a little but not much....still, itīs one way to go about it if you want to.