PDA

View Full Version : Another LW slow down or is it me again?

unstable
09-04-2015, 06:56 AM
All I'm trying to do is section the length of a tube without increasing the number of sides. I thought the fastest way would be to create the tube and then a flat plane with the sections and simply stencil or slice the tube. But apparently this won't work in LW 11.6.2. I just wondered if this is something I'm doing wrong or is this just another quirk with LW?

As you can see in my first image I have the plane in the background with the polys facing up. I've tried both slice and stencil in the Y direction and as the second image shows, all I get are two slices (one at each end). What gives? :bangwall:

lertola2
09-04-2015, 07:05 AM
I think if you unweld the points on your background object it should work. But use the Julienne2 tool which will divide your object in one step.

Farhad_azer
09-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Cant you use Julienne? it gives the desired result.

unstable
09-04-2015, 07:56 AM
I never used Julienne, but it does indeed give me close to what I want quickly. For some reason when I enter the same number of sections desired in Julienne2 they don't line up with the sections evenly spaced in the plane, but I can manually change them which is still faster than manually cutting each one. Thanks, I learned a new tool. :D

ActionBob
09-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Use the Cut Tool. It even has an option in there for unifor slices - you create all the slices you want, then click uniform cuts, hit okay and viola!

-Adrian

jeric_synergy
09-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Use the Cut Tool. It even has an option in there for unifor slices - you create all the slices you want, then click uniform cuts, hit okay and viola!
-Adrian
Bumping to fix in memory. Now I'll stop cloning 2pt polys and using Slice.

However, the OP brings up an teaching moment: Slice and Stencil must only operate using the 'convex hull' type of operation, where only the outside edges count. Once Unwelded, of course, everything would be an "outside" edge.

JoePoe
09-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Julienne is good .... if you're on axis. Or if you want the cuts themselves to be on axis.
(certainly you can temporarily align to an axis work plane, Julienne and then revert.... but we're trying to save clicks right)

Cut or BandsawPro are good too but you've gotta click click click click click for all those divisions.

So here's another option. Super fast ..... after selecting the loop of polys around the tube, bang on the "l" key a few times :hey:.

(of course you're limited to the multiple-of-two series for the # of divisions. 2,4,8,16,32,64,128...... But if all you want is to add a bunch of evenly spaced geo... :thumbsup:)

jeric_synergy
09-04-2015, 04:49 PM
I was going to ask about "arbitrary axis slicing", but I've already looked stupid enough this week.

jeric_synergy
09-05-2015, 05:17 PM
...buttttttt, I'll have another go:

Working on a single, 2pt poly, nothing else in the layer, attempting to add points:

1) Connect didn't work on an Edge/Poly that is only a 2pt poly (all edge);

2) Neither did Divide;

3) Nor did Cut (didn't even bring up the UI);

4) Knife of course* doesn't work ( *for stupid values of "of course");

5) LWBrush "Add Points" does work;

6) native "Add Points" changed the 2pt poly to a 3+ point poly, not desired;

7) SLICE using Drill (and another 2pt poly in the background) worked.

8) Julienne2 worked.

I had high hopes for Connect, but I guess it doesn't like open Edges.

The struggle continues...

hcoat
09-05-2015, 05:56 PM
All I'm trying to do is section the length of a tube without increasing the number of sides. I thought the fastest way would be to create the tube and then a flat plane with the sections and simply stencil or slice the tube. But apparently this won't work in LW 11.6.2. I just wondered if this is something I'm doing wrong or is this just another quirk with LW?

As you can see in my first image I have the plane in the background with the polys facing up. I've tried both slice and stencil in the Y direction and as the second image shows, all I get are two slices (one at each end). What gives? :bangwall:

Is there problem with setting the segments when you create the tube?

Stencil will work fine if you Unweld your stencil object first.

BokadCastle
09-05-2015, 07:01 PM
I followed the op's method except I didn't use a flat plane with segments, instead I used the "line pen" to create one line which I cloned.
Then stencilled in the Y - no problems.