PDA

View Full Version : What hdd or ssd configuration for LW?

yoshiii
09-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Hello

I have 1 250gb ssd and one WD Blue 1TB hdd.

I keep my main programs on the ssd and the hdd I use for keeping music, documents, and movies, tv show files on.

What ssd/hdd configuration should I have for LW for the pc ?

This is one of two pcs. The computer has a i7 4790K and 16gb of 2133 DDR3 ram.

The second computer I will build will have a i7 5820K.

I will use LW, Photoshop, Octane, Premiere, etc.

vonpietro
09-03-2015, 11:13 PM
the fastest ssd configuration would be dual raid congfig for your boot - 256 gig -its not expensive now for a dual 256
I've seen 256 gigs for about 80 bucks now - so 160 total for a super fast solution.

In this manner you get the ablility to read and write at the same time thanks to the dual raid.

I imagine load times would help lw if you have huge amounts of data loading.
I use an ssd as my project drive - ensures maximum load and save times

i use a regulare drive to back it all up once the project is over.

yoshiii
09-03-2015, 11:14 PM
the fastest ssd configuration would be dual raid congfig for your boot - 256 gig -its not expensive now for a dual 256
about 200 bucks.

In this manner you get the ablility to read and write at the same time thanks to the dual raid.

I imagine load times would help lw if you have huge amounts of data loading.
I use an ssd as my project drive - ensures maximum load and save times

i use a regulare drive to back it all up once the project is over.

Ok, so while you are working on a project, you keep it on your ssd?

What if I keep the file on a WD Black hdd and keep the program on the ssd? Will the program bring the file into the ssd when I am working on it/

vonpietro
09-03-2015, 11:21 PM
konichiwa

all project data- objects scenes and images are kept on the ssd - for your system now - you can simply buy a large 512gig for 150 -
actually i saw a 960gb for $280 - wunderbar
and use that as a project only drive. Even better buy two and make it a raid ,but of course thats overkill

i'll tell you this - 120 is small for a project drive- mine fills up quickly, and i'm looking to swap it out with a 512 - so dont skimp

so is the black a mechanical drive - IF so your not getting the benefit of the ssd - the only benefit is lightwave will boot up quickly thats it.
lightwave has a content dir that it looks at - and never brings files anywhere, just looks at the set content dir

=)

also motherboards matter - some do not have the latest hardware to support the fastest speeds of ssd

my lil laptop only gets 3gbs instead of the full 6gbs because of a hardware limitation.
but thats minor it's still blazing fast with an ssd - i love those things!!

yoshiii
09-03-2015, 11:37 PM
konichiwa

all project data- objects scenes and images are kept on the ssd - for your system now - you can simply buy a large 512gig for 150 -
actually i saw a 960gb for $280 - wunderbar
and use that as a project only drive. Even better buy two and make it a raid ,but of course thats overkill

i'll tell you this - 120 is small for a project drive- mine fills up quickly, and i'm looking to swap it out with a 512 - so dont skimp

so is the black a mechanical drive - IF so your not getting the benefit of the ssd - the only benefit is lightwave will boot up quickly thats it.
lightwave has a content dir that it looks at - and never brings files anywhere, just looks at the set content dir

=)

also motherboards matter - some do not have the latest hardware to support the fastest speeds of ssd

my lil laptop only gets 3gbs instead of the full 6gbs because of a hardware limitation.
but thats minor it's still blazing fast with an ssd - i love those things!!

Ok

So a ssd for Lightwave. That means a separate ssd or hdd for Octane, Photoshop, etc?

vonpietro
09-03-2015, 11:40 PM
just buy another ssd - and put all your lw content on it.

photoshop files benefit greatly from ssds as they load much faster and save much faster

octane is just a plugin for lw - all the content is what your speeding up with the ssd =)

You could just use your ssd boot drive for now if you wanted (just make a project dir on it and point lw at it ) - and when done just move it to the hdd
but really a separate drive is better

yoshiii
09-03-2015, 11:47 PM
just buy another ssd - and put all your lw content on it.

photoshop files benefit greatly from ssds as they load much faster and save much faster

octane is just a plugin for lw - all the content is what your speeding up with the ssd =)

You could just use your ssd boot drive for now if you wanted (just make a project dir on it and point lw at it ) - and when done just move it to the hdd
but really a separate drive is better
Ok so Lightwave and Photoshop will benefit from the programs being on a ssd and the current work being on a ssd?

vonpietro
09-04-2015, 12:35 AM
hehe

yup

anything reading or writing benefits from an ssd

they are a bazillian times faster than mechanical drives

what do you use lightwave for by the way?

yoshiii
09-04-2015, 03:30 AM
hehe

yup

anything reading or writing benefits from an ssd

they are a bazillian times faster than mechanical drives

what do you use lightwave for by the way?

I will use it for character, ship, design and animation and making games.

graviel
09-04-2015, 06:08 AM
I dont think the answer to the question is choosing A or B, but to understand how to use them both. SSDīs and physical drives are complementary one another. So I would use SSD for caches (mmd, capturing video, compositing, working with large files..), and a physical drive for the projects you are not currently working on. (as well think of backup or an offline archive drive).

In terms of speed SSD wins, and you are safe from mechanical problems. however always remember that they do wear out, the physical structure of the memory cells is eroded as electrons go in and out, loosing capacity as data moves. As well the logic is much larger than in mechanical drives so you can see logical errors more often. If you think what are your ways to destroy data: Human mistake, mechanical or phisical error, logical errors, filesystem corruption.. the logical are the very worst and it is the fastest way to data corruption.
Some people tries to avoid installing the operating system in SSD so they dont wear out so fast with constant reads and writes, I will recomend just the opposite, but sensibly; Estimate a 4 years life expectancy and do not spend more money than it would be worth for that purpose, buy some cheap SSD for fast writes, and some large and good quality mechanical storage for your projects, and start saving for the future. Wear your SSDīs out freely cause it will make your life so much happier. The system boots in a breeze. If you need help choosing some good phisical storage to save the works for long term you could check storagereview.com.

I keep 2 supper small SSDīs in raid 0 (striped, no parity... the riskiest way to loose your data, but insanely fast), so any data I store will be sent in parallel to the drives (I get writes at 900MB/s, old ram was worst than this). I use it just as a temporary drive (nothing stays there, just for the data I am currently working on, when it is ready I move it to the physical drive).