PDA

View Full Version : What is the best speed of ram and how much ram to use for LW ?

yoshiii
09-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Hello

What is the best speed of ram for LW? 1600, 1866, 2133?

What CAS is best?

spherical
09-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Heh. Well, the faster, the better and more is better. Get as much as you can afford and get it in a "kit"; which is RAM sticks that have been tested at the factory to be certified to work together. With the RAM speeds and tolerances of the die, there are variations in a batch. Testing them against other companions makes sure that they will all be compatible.

CourtJester
09-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Based on my experience, MORE is much more important than faster. Lightwave is largely CPU bound. Here, quantity is more important than quality (where "quality" means speed). Only take the higher speed if you can get it at minimal premium versus slower speeds.

yoshiii
09-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Heh. Well, the faster, the better and more is better. Get as much as you can afford and get it in a "kit"; which is RAM sticks that have been tested at the factory to be certified to work together. With the RAM speeds and tolerances of the die, there are variations in a batch. Testing them against other companions makes sure that they will all be compatible.

Based on my experience, MORE is much more important than faster. Lightwave is largely CPU bound. Here, quantity is more important than quality (where "quality" means speed). Only take the higher speed if you can get it at minimal premium versus slower speeds.

I have 16gb DDR3 2133 ram right now and running a i7 4790K. Should I upgrade to 32 gb?

Once I get a i7 5820K, should I go for 16 or 32gb ram?

vonpietro
09-03-2015, 09:42 PM
32gigs - without a doubt.

you would be surprised how much ram lightwave can use when doing things.
more ram = bigger scenes

if you run out of ram- you're virtual ram -aka harddrive will be used by windows to give you that extra ram - this will turn your system into an unresponsive slug -
for that reason alone you want to have as much ram as possible 32gigs is alot of walking space. 16 is bare minimum is say that because windows alone is such a ram hog

when you do things like using procedurals to defrom objects (with high subdivisions)
they eat up alot of ram - best to save transformed by the way.

highend Motherboards have 64gb and 128gb
also - programs like digitla fusion eat up ram - the more the better.
plus - more ram means multiple lightwaves open at once!!

too many benefits to list for more ram

graviel
09-04-2015, 06:26 AM
The speed is more a money question, get it as fast as your common sense lets you spend ;-). About sizes it all depends what you do... But of course try to get as much memory as your motherboard can host, and If you are short of money I would buy fewer slots but as large as possible so you can continue allocating memory later. Make sure you install it in double channel mode (read the manual of the motherboard and look at the location of the slots), and do not mix memory types if you want efficiency.

yoshiii
09-04-2015, 07:18 AM
The speed is more a money question, get it as fast as your common sense lets you spend ;-). About sizes it all depends what you do... But of course try to get as much memory as your motherboard can host, and If you are short of money I would buy fewer slots but as large as possible so you can continue allocating memory later. Make sure you install it in double channel mode (read the manual of the motherboard and look at the location of the slots), and do not mix memory types if you want efficiency.
What do you mean by double channel mode?

vonpietro
09-04-2015, 05:48 PM
ram is picky- it likes to live in doubles - which simply means optimal speed is had by having 2 dimm sticks in the computer instead of one.
although one will work - supposedly its slower
two and its happy - i dont know the specifics on that - but thats how it is.
if you have 4 slots, fill by 2's - 2dimms at a time.

although i've got a laptop and i've filled two slots with 8's
the other four slots have 2 more 4's in them for a total of 24 gigs

Its best to avoid putting say just one 8gb stick in a slot.
practically speaking - try to always put 2 sticks at a time.

spherical
09-05-2015, 03:34 AM
And most of you are all ignoring the tested to work together aspect. With the CAS values being what they have become, combined with the sheer speed, adding sticks at a later date that will be certain to be in a different bin, is risky--at best. Sure, you might luck out. YMMV, but I wouldn't risk it. BTW, I'm not pulling this out of my ***.

magiclight
09-05-2015, 08:16 AM
Just get as much as you can get (but yes, buy all of it at the same time), speed is not important, ram is so slow anyway so the cache(s) in the CPU are much more important, so more is better, lightwave can never have too much ram.

Ernest
09-07-2015, 10:27 PM
practically speaking - try to always put 2 sticks at a time.

Unless your CPU is a newish Xeon. Then you'll probably have to add 4 sticks at a time.