PDA

View Full Version : Node editors

Dan Ritchie
09-03-2015, 04:46 PM
What is your favorite node editor, and why?

prometheus
09-04-2015, 02:47 AM

probably displacement node editor, for what can be done with all other tools to deform objects, and to a more specific detail node, I would say Dpont´s part move
for all the cool part displacement you can do with it.

Michael

graviel
09-04-2015, 06:14 AM
All of them, nodal shall be all over LW.
Nodal motion is a gift from heaven, and the node image filter, a very useful tool... and.. well, everywhere.

Sensei
09-04-2015, 11:08 AM

My own.. :) Because it's global.

Farhad_azer
09-05-2015, 01:45 PM
My favorite is the node based Particle tool. I love every second of using it. it is so powerful and simple that u can almost make anything that u can imagine. it is also good for combining with other parts of LW.

I am kidding. I know such a thing does not exist but I hope we will see that soon.

there are so many artists senior to me who talk about it and dream of having it soon. sth like the one in Fusion.

Dear Newtek/LW3dG, plz do this to us. plzzzzz.

Thomas Helzle
09-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Not sure about the questions focus but:
- Rhinos Grasshopper: Best nodes ever. Beautiful (vector based), very nice to work with, genius ideas on workflow, first node based modelling system that makes sense to me. Not fast though (singlethreaded).
- XSI ICE: Fast, easy to use, fast, clearly laid out, fast, deep. Mostly for particles and deformation though, the other possible areas I did not really enjoy.
- Blender: The nodes come with some awesome concepts regarding workflow, like pressing a key and drag over a bunch of connections to cut them all and several others. In some cases it's great to have the actual controls on the node, in others not so much...
- Fabric Engine Canvas: The system itself is in it's infancy but the concept that nodes are code and you can open nodes and edit what they do is genius. This way, the full node tree can actually be compiled for maximum performance and the user can write new nodes on the fly. Supporting CPU and GPU is brilliant as well.
- messiah:studio render tree: very very clever concepts on the nodes that I never have seen anywhere else like in-built multi-connection mixing and a very deep muting concept for connections.

And yes, I like Lightwaves node editors too, but the workflow is a bit old-fashioned and could use an update ;-)

Cheers,

Tom