PDA

View Full Version : Not enough virtual sets! There should be direct input of 3rd party images.

tvpRich
09-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Ok, so I'm new to Tricaster and may be missing something here? I've realized after purchasing Tricaster that the number of "ready-made" available sets are limited and all look too similar. Most all are way too high tech and/or so overly-detailed that my foreground talent simply get lost in the set. Also, having to purchase Virtual-Set-Editor seems to be a hidden cost that wasn't explained properly from the get-go. There are several 3rd-party companies that have sets for sale... (see this link) http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=tv+virtual+set
But the problem lies in the fact that Tricaster sets are not in fact 3D sets, so now we're stuck with non-compatibility without several steps of transferring to different formats etc...
Is there a simpler way (and if not, why not?) to import ANY 3d set into Tricaster and pick the angles I want and Viola! it just works? Am I asking for too much here or is this a feature missing?

SBowie
09-01-2015, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone indicate that the default sets were too elaborate for their purposes, but it does make me wonder if you couldn't simply zoom in to avoid too much 'busy-ness' in the scene.

Anyway. just to expand a bit on your query - a number of non-TriCaster live production solutions simply plunk background images behind a keyed shots and call them 'virtual sets'. A few add foregrounds, as well. Of course you could do that using images in the layers of TriCaster's M/Es without ever going near what we would call virtual set technology.

TriCaster's LiveSets go well beyond that. I'd argue that there are actually quite a few in the default set, but of course it's entirely impossible to meet everyone's individual needs (hence VSE and aftermarket suppliers). Decent looking sets require a fair amount of work to prepare even with VSE, although some simple things such as double boxes, etc., are quite simple.

P.S. Out of curiosity, I did a quick count of default sets on a 460. Counting all angles, but ignoring utilities, Photoshop-style effects, and the like, I counted 110 unique shots.