PDA

View Full Version : Possible clues for Modeler chewing up gigabytes of Ram for no reason?

Dennik
09-01-2015, 07:40 AM
I get this problem from time to time and I can't pinpoint the cause.
Modeler starts using lots of gigabytes of Ram bringing my laptop to a crawl state, while working on a relatively low poly model.
I have no idea what can cause this.
Anyone?

ActionBob
09-01-2015, 08:30 AM
Not knowing what you are running in terms of operating system or computer configuration, I can only make a guess. Are you using the latest display drivers for your laptop hardware?

I was going to suggest that if you were using a desktop with an SLI configuration, there was a memory leak in Windows 10 with certain apps when SLI was utilized. As you are on a laptop, we can pretty much rule out SLI as I have never heard of a laptop having SLI (or crossfire).

How about your virtual memory? Is it system managed or have you allocated the space for virtual memory yourself? I was thinking that if the swap file is too small, then the harddrive could be constantly running and that would cause a slow down.

Other than that, have you tried a fresh install of LW?

-Adrian

Dennik
09-02-2015, 06:22 AM
That was it! I flushed the old drivers, updated with the latest, and the problem is gone. It would never cross my mind that an old/corrupted driver could cause a memory spike like that in Lightwave. Thanks for the tip Adrian!

ActionBob
09-02-2015, 07:33 AM
No worries....

There are those that maintain, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." However, I do try and keep all my drivers up to date even if things are working well, without exception.

I am glad the problem was easily fixed.

Happy Lightwaving!

-Adrian

jeric_synergy
09-02-2015, 08:51 AM
+1 thanks, ActionBob. ( I don't even know what SLI is, but the warning is appreciated.)