PDA

View Full Version : Big airy case or slim form factor for computer for running LW?

yoshiii
08-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Hello

I have a computer I built for graphic design, 3D design, and rendering.

I was thinking of putting it in a slim form factor case and use a mini itx board. My computer has a i7 4790k, 16gb 2133 DDR3 ram, and soon a 980 or 980t

The case I have now is a big mid tower case with 3 fans plus a 240mm liquid cooler with two fans.

Should I keep the big case? Or will putting everything in a slim case work ok? I am worried about heat.

spherical
08-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Big. You want large fans that run at low RPM and keep the noise to a minimum. That requires a large case. Large cases have more free-flow of the air through them with few, if any, areas that are cramped and cut off from the flow. Do not skimp, here. Cases aren't all that expensive; especially when considering that they are the foundation upon which everything else is built. We have Corsair 650Ds that are ready-made for water cooling the CPU with the two-fan radiator mounted at the top of the case pushing out.

Kryslin
09-01-2015, 08:17 AM
I would recommend big as well. You can usually have enough room to route your cables out of the airflow.

I would recommend Corsair's Graphite 600T case, if you can find it, or it's replacement. Beyond the standard 120mm fan in the rear, it has 2 x 200mm fans (one on front, on the top), that move a lot of air through the case. It's also roomy enough to handle large video cards, and sealed water block coolers. Using an H90i for CPU cooling, and the stock fans, I rarely get hotter that 45C on my home built workstation.

magiclight
09-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Yes!!! stay away from the mini crap, you need air, lots of air into the case.

Lewis
09-02-2015, 01:36 AM
If you plan to render with that GPU(s) later on then you need even bigger case so yeah go with big tower box :).