PDA

View Full Version : One or Two computer for productivity work?

yoshiii
08-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Hello

Is it a good idea to have two computers, one for modeling, Photoshop work, etc. and the second computer for rendering and the heavy stuff?

I have a computer with a i7 4790k, 16gb 2133 DDR3 ram, GTX660 (changing to a GTX 980 or 980ti).
I just built the computer recently.

I am planning on building a i7 5820K system.

Should I sell my Z97 motherboard and the cpu and ram and just have the 5820K system, or is having both systems good?

ernpchan
08-29-2015, 11:30 PM
If you're talking about building a render farm, then sure. It'll increase your productivity.

Having two computers for specific needs, not sure if that's practical.

OFF
08-29-2015, 11:57 PM
It depends on your budget. The best choice - to have two computers. One as a workstation and one as a render slave.

spherical
08-30-2015, 01:56 AM
If you're talking about building a render farm, then sure. It'll increase your productivity.

Having two computers for specific needs, not sure if that's practical.

Is here.

It depends on your budget. The best choice - to have two computers. One as a workstation and one as a render slave.

We have two persons, two machines each. Workstations for serious stuff. Not so greatly powered, but still respectable, boxes for InDesign, Excel, a second install of Photoshop and Internet. While the workstations are cranking away on renders or large Photoshop images, the other two boxes free them up to do just that.

When the hands-on workday is over, the four machines can become a render farm for overnight processing.

MonroePoteet
08-30-2015, 07:00 AM
For my situation, two machines is imperative, even though I'm just a hobbyist. I don't really want to fight a render to read mail, surf the web, or do other work. The primary "render" node is a workstation for LW, video editing, and video capture. The other is a good high-powered laptop. LW and other software is installed on both (as allowed by their licenses), and I've got LWSN (ScreamerNet) installed on both for a render farm if I choose to run it that way, like an overnight render where I don't need the laptop. If I try to do a render including the laptop with ScreamerNet, the fans really spin up and stay that way, so I point an external fan at it to keep the air moving past. The workstation is vented and has 4 case fans and handles the rendering no problem. Good GPU's, memory and cpu specs on both. I use a NAS for the frame stores so they can be shared, although the ScreamNet program and content folders are on the render machine.

mTp

vonpietro
08-30-2015, 02:24 PM
use one computer and two monitors =)

jeric_synergy
08-31-2015, 11:47 AM
I used to use a KVM switch: one seat, two CPUs. Been a while though.

spherical
08-31-2015, 05:32 PM
That's how we do them. Used to have two keyboards/mice, but that just led to confusion and thinking that the machine had locked up. :D A friend at JPL had four machines with four sets of input devices. It was comical to watch when he'd hit the wrong KB; which the odds were that he would. 4+ machine KVMs solved the problem.

JamesCurtis
08-31-2015, 06:27 PM
I use two machines. I like to be able to work on another project or some personal stuff when one is rendering.

Right now, however, I'm down to one machine because my 2nd one has developed a very noisy fan and I'm going to have to replace the fan(s) and give it a good interior cleaning. I'm really afraid the machines gonna die if I don't do something to ity. It's a 2.8 i7 machine and still a viable general work machine. Besides, I don't have the money for a new replacement ATM.

spherical
08-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Look at Noctua fans. Very efficient, quiet with high through-put. They have versions that fit a 140mm fan on 120mm mounting holes.

JamesCurtis
08-31-2015, 07:40 PM
Spherical, thanks for the tip! The machine is 7 years old - it's really been a workhorse!

jeric_synergy
08-31-2015, 08:35 PM
Dang, I should get the vacuum to work on mine.

JonW
08-31-2015, 11:00 PM
Look at Noctua fans. Very efficient, quiet with high through-put. They have versions that fit a 140mm fan on 120mm mounting holes.

Recently I vacuumed my W5580 box, it was about 2 years since I did it last. The dust on the Noctua heat sinks and half a dozen 120 mm fans looked like felt. I had been rendering the previous weeks but the felt on the fans and heat sinks didn't seem to reduce cooling efficiency, but it was winter so room temperature was fairly cool.

JonW
08-31-2015, 11:09 PM
I use a PC for Lightwave & a Mac for everything else. If Lightwave is rendering I have other things to do on the Mac. Also got half a dozen other computers and can work on any one of those if I am bored to tears. But quite frankly if the PC is rendering there is always plenty of other stuff I can do on the Mac.

2 computers is the go so you can leave 1 of them rendering, & you also have redundancy if the computer fails.

spherical
08-31-2015, 11:55 PM
2 computers is the go so you can leave 1 of them rendering, & you also have redundancy if the computer fails.

After years of working at Penske Racing, I can tell ya that the standard is: "Always carry a spare."

spherical
09-01-2015, 12:00 AM
Spherical, thanks for the tip! The machine is 7 years old - it's really been a workhorse!

I keep my stuff going way beyond their expected lifetime. It's only good practice to take care of that which one has. My Dual CPU Athlon boxes went waaaay longer than anyone would expect. Incremental upgrades of discreet components kept them relevant through the years. Once the economy allowed our business to begin to pick up steam again, we finally sprung for three new workstations. Goes without saying that the performance increase was astounding. :)

JonW
09-01-2015, 01:56 AM
Still got my Mac dual 533 MHz (Yes MHz) box with 1.5 GB of ram. Have copied everything from it but still run it every now and then. It is surprising how fast Photoshop is on this old machine, with files that are a bit smaller!

MonroePoteet
09-03-2015, 12:55 PM
To switch between computers, I use Remote Desktop for basic administration and simpler stuff. However, when I want to use Lightwave or another OpenGL intensive application, I do have a USB KVM switch. It only supports VGA, so I just manually switch the monitor between HDMI inputs. It takes four button presses (easily reached from the keyboard) to switch between machines, but I don't do it very often. Usually, I'm settling in for a "session" on one or the other.

mTp

graviel
09-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Well, I am for the 1 station : 1 task
My girlfriend does not protest for me having large amounts of technical equipment home... so instead of buying the latest big expensive monster to run all the software in the world, browse the net, and keep it all up to date till it cannot breath anymore, I prefer to separate tasks by computer. Spending less money at once (bit older model) and don't overloading things as time passes. If you make a computer for work, don't install to many apps, keep it in the local area network... it will stay usable much longer.
Something like: Cartooning station with wacom and inexpensive graphics, one for 3D and compositing, one for sound.. and then the storage server, and the web server on a rack ;P I would just upgrade things by bits or replace stuff when it is strictly necessary.

Schwyhart
10-28-2015, 07:20 AM
What about if I want to use my work computer to do Lightwave stuff and then go home and want to continue working on that project on my laptop? Both are Mac's.
I was thinking about getting an external HDD and set the content directory from there. With video editing this is a no no because it would severely slow down the process, but with Lightwave, I can't see why it would slow down too much...at least until you start texturing and rendering.
Any thoughts? Should I ask this in it's own thread?

*Edit:
With FCPX, moving from computer to computer is pretty easy because of Library's. I'm still trying to determine how Lightwave is set up with it's file structure.

pinkmouse
10-28-2015, 07:31 AM
...I was thinking about getting an external HDD and set the content directory from there...

That will be fine, I do it all the time, (I'm also on Mac, not that it matters).

The only thing you might need to be aware of is Plugins, if you don't have the same setup on each computer it can get frustrating. I keep all my extra plugins in a folder, and if I update anything, stick a copy of this on the USB drive as well just to make sure.

Scazzino
10-28-2015, 11:36 AM
I generally use one workstation (2.93 GHz 12-Core Mac Pro) for most everything. I use two monitors and Mac OS X spaces to run multiple apps on different monitors/spaces to do many different things at once. Then I can switch between different spaces instantly with a keystroke. I use DreamLight Constellation with DLI_SNUB-Launcher to run an instance of LWSN set to just shy of the 24 threads to leave a few full threads available for other things while rendering in the background. On very heavy projects I'll add a few more Macs into the mix for rendering with DreamLight Constellation. I'll also sometimes work on this 12-core MacPro from a 4-core MacBookPro using screen sharing after hours.

vonpietro
10-28-2015, 09:38 PM
for Schwyhart
You mentioned working in lw at work and then coming home and working and wanting to keep the project on an HD.

Thats so 1990's =)

today we have dropbox - work on it at home, at work, in hawaii, on the moon, it matters not with dropbox.
multiple people working on the same project - no problem, just share it and keep versions of it.
its very handy for collaboration. Just point your content dir to the dropbox directory. Works irregardless of mac or pc =) Or... just upload your files at the end f the day so you can grab them when you get home. (plugins should match on both computers, if however the scene doesn't ask for it, lw wont care that a particular plug in is not on one of the computers.)

so if you dont have a Dropbox - you get 2gigs free just for signing up.
very reliable, extremely useful for working with clients as well, as they can access at their leisure.
it loads as an app on your desktop, and works with file browser.
When you dump things into your drop box, it immediately starts uploading. When it's done a little icon notice tells you your dropbox is "in sync". It just means what you placed on your desktop is now available on the web. I really like the file browser integration and not having to go through a web page.
Of course they have a web page portal you can use as well, and it's very very easy to use.

https://db.tt/KYYKLk37 <--- You sign up for drobbox with this link
This link also lets me refer people - this is also a nice little way to get alittle extra space in your dropbox - referring friends

lately with collaboration- because we are using the free 2gb version and run out of room quickly, we've come up with the FORpeter For(person your collaborating with name) folders, and basically i would upload to the collaborating persons folder, and he would empty it out, when i see it's been emptied, i know he's gotten it. and when he needs to send me stuff, he puts it in my folder. This way we are constantly keeping the box mostly empty. (its just a quick way to keep track that someone's got something you uploaded instead of guessing did he grab it yet or not, if it's not there he got it)

for scene files, we just had a lw dir that we both updated - keeping track of the date and time.

of course if you dont have internet access - the external hhds are super portable these days with 8terabytes.

Hope that helps.

Scazzino
10-28-2015, 10:36 PM
You can even render over the internet with Dropbox (http://dreamlight.com/blog/mastering-lightwave-3d-screamernet-lwsn/internet-rendering-with-lightwave-3d-screamernet-lwsn/)... :boogiedow

vonpietro
10-28-2015, 11:43 PM
wow i thought you were joking about the dropbox rendering - but there it is -- amazing!!

CaptainMarlowe
10-29-2015, 12:05 AM
Well, maybe people won't or can't use services like Dropbox because of confidentiality. In my work, everything has to be secure and crypted on specific devices even for phone. It may have made me a bit paranoid but the less data I let on the web, the better, even on my iCloud Drive.

Schwyhart
10-29-2015, 08:33 AM
I do have Dropbox already. I have almost 11Gbs of storage.
BUT it's super slow and I'm not sure it would be a good solution for me.

I'll try it out though. I guess I could always download the directory to my computer and then update the Dropbox version when I need to.
The HDD that I have has Thunderbolt and USB 3.0, which is almost as fast as an internal HDD. If I use Dropbox, I'm limited to 15Mb a second and that's if it's 100% good on the provider side and no one else is using my internet at home. At work, I'm sure we have at least a T1 connection, but there's about 1,000+ computers on it at any given time.

Spaceland
10-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Having a second computer is always handy.

Like others suggested, using it for render slave is very good if you need to render and work on something else, free your working computer.

If i would have the money at the moment i would buy another one just to be able to split the work and the cpu usage that i need. I used to do that.

For myself i would try what i can locally before using my bandwidth or the clouds to put stuff or renders.

Scazzino
10-29-2015, 08:59 AM
Well, maybe people won't or can't use services like Dropbox because of confidentiality. In my work, everything has to be secure and crypted on specific devices even for phone. It may have made me a bit paranoid but the less data I let on the web, the better, even on my iCloud Drive.

True. While dropbox (https://db.tt/h88DoMK) is the easiest way to work/render over the Internet, you can also work/render over the Internet using VNC screen sharing through a secure SSH tunnel. It's a bit more complicated but I wrote a chapter about it in my book, Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0763782645?ie=UTF8&tag=telebitescom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0763782645), which you can browse on Amazon. Just click on "Look Inside" then "Search Inside this Book" for SSH. :boogiedow