PDA

View Full Version : using an object as a partigon emitter

stephen
12-06-2003, 09:36 AM
hi, i was just wondering whether it is possible to use the surface of an object as a partigon emitter. i know it is possible to emit particles from the surface of an object by adding the fx_emitter custom object plugin to it but in this case, the particles that the fx_emitter plugin emits are null objects which do not render unless i use hypervoxels together with it. is it possible to use the partigon emitter instead which emits 1-point polygons which do render without having to resort to the use of hypervoxels? many thanks in advance!:confused:

toby
12-06-2003, 11:33 AM
I believe that Partigon emitter just creates a 1 point polygon and applies FX_Linker for you, in any case you can just do that manually for your object.

Dodgy
12-06-2003, 11:56 AM
See here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13827&highlight=partigon+surface

And here :

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13436&highlight=partigon+surface

Ignore toby :) A partigon is a special type of object which creates as many 1 point polys as it needs. They're created on the fly by the emitter.

It's perfectly possible to have partigons emitted from your objects surface, if you read the above.

toby
12-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Well FX_Linker does work, so I think telling him to ignore me is unneccessary.

Also, the Partigon Emitter plug-in creates a 1 point polygon .lwo, that's what makes it a lot like FX_Linker.

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by stephen
hi, i was just wondering whether it is possible to use the surface of an object as a partigon emitter. i know it is possible to emit particles from the surface of an object by adding the fx_emitter custom object plugin to it but in this case, the particles that the fx_emitter plugin emits are null objects which do not render unless i use hypervoxels together with it. is it possible to use the partigon emitter instead which emits 1-point polygons which do render without having to resort to the use of hypervoxels? many thanks in advance!:confused:

Just apply FXEmitter under Object----Properties----Geometry.
In the particle properties set nozzle to object surface.
Particles are only place holders for something else like HVs or linked objects. Partigons are single point polys and do render.
If you want so see something when the particles emit from the surface use a tiny HV sprite or load a single point poly in and fx link it to the emitter. :)

Dodgy
12-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Aww toby don't be like that :) I'm sorry :P

If he wants to use partigons, the parent emitter method is the way to go, FX linker will leave him with a bunch of unnecessary objects in his scene. The HV method is more flexible from a surfacing point of view, as it allows access to the particles' lifetimes and other parameters in gradient textures. If he wants partigons though, parenting their emitter to the object he wants to emit from and applying an emitter custom object to that is the way to go. It's cleaner in the long run. He can use distance from object parameter to control the partigon's colours.

stephen
12-06-2003, 08:45 PM
i would really like to say a big thank you to everyone who responded to my question! :D the parent emitter trick is clever. i haven't had the time to try it yet but i will do so later. i think i understand how it's supposed to work.

hopefully in lightwave[8] they'll do something abt this and either add a partigon_emitter custom object plugin which we can add to an object or a partigon_drawing plugin in addition to the hypervoxel_drawing plugin. perhaps the lightwave developers took it for granted tat users would be able to figure out how to use fx_linker to link a 1-point polygon to an emitter if they wanted the particles to render but it seems a rather long-winded work around to a simple problem. :)