PDA

View Full Version : Can you use vertex paint to correct existing weight maps?

ChrisW
08-28-2015, 08:52 AM
I created my weight maps in modeler by selecting points, went into Layout and found a few points were effected beyond my intended area. I tried reselecting points in modeler and resaving the weight map but the area beyond my selection is still showing up in the red. I tried correcting using vertex paint but that also didn't eliminate the unintended area...what am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

jeric_synergy
08-28-2015, 09:44 AM
If you can select the offending points you can always:
1) ASSIGN them their value (Set Map Value)
2) Clear them from the map (they are no longer members of the map)
3) Use the Weights Tool to paint them, in LWM.

Are they in an Endomorph? That may be confusing thiings.

Dodgy
08-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Are all the bones in the object assigned weightmaps?

ChrisW
08-31-2015, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the responses.
jeric_s -
1. I can select them, never thought of assigning them a low value. I'll try it.
2. When I try to remove them from the map (reselecting the correct points and creating a "new" map), they still show as active when I look at weight maps.
3. Not familiar with Weights Tool in Modeler, will look it up and experiment.
4. They are not in an endomorph.

Dodgy - yes, all the bones are assigned weight maps.

I'll poke around based on your comments, thanks.

jeric_synergy
08-31-2015, 08:49 AM
2. When I try to remove them from the map (reselecting the correct points and creating a "new" map), they still show as active when I look at weight maps.
??? You lost me there. So I tried it.

Select some points
Make a w.map
deselect points
Use SELECT BY MAP to see them again and confirm.
DESELECT all the points except some test subjects
hit "CLEAR MAP" -- this clears the selected points from the selected wmap
DESELECT all
Use SELECT BY MAP to see the members of the map.

This worked for me. Sometimes it's helpful to think of w.maps (and such) as LISTS OF POINTS, because that's what they are. I think the word "Map" in there confuses things.

Another thing: Points can be members of MULTIPLE weight maps. Perhaps this is confusing you. Weight Maps can be used for many varying functions (Surfacing, Displacement, Motion) so a point may be a member of several different Weight Maps. Assigning a new one does not remove a point from the existing maps.

Also, just because you made a Weight Map doesn't mean you have to use it, you can safely ignore them.

+++++++++++++++
Even more info, from when I was confused about Weight Maps:

A point can be a MEMBER of a Weight Map (wmap from now on),
but it can also be NOT a member (stop worrying about it)
or it can be a member with a value of ZERO (wmap values range from -100 to +100)
and, most confusing, a point can be a member of a wmap and have NO VALUE assigned to it. I think.

So, again, thinking of them as LISTS OF POINTS, like a 2 column list, some points are on the list, some are not, some have a number beside them, and some have the number space EMPTY.

lertola2
08-31-2015, 08:55 AM

To clear any type of map from some points use the 'Clear Map From Vertices' command. The keyboard shortcut is the undersocre key (shift -). Creating a new map does not clear any existing maps.

ChrisW
08-31-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the in-depth explanation jeric-s. You made a lot of good points (pun intended). I hadn't looked at the selection options either, excellent advice.

Thank you Lertola.

jeric_synergy
08-31-2015, 03:25 PM
You're welcome, it's the LW-Way. Not like the darwinian world of blender users.

One thing to remember: just like everything* in LW, operations only occur on SELECTED items. So you can select sub-sets of wmaps and operate on them, and the unselected members of the wmap are unchanged.

*only violated rarely. But really annoying when it happens.