PDA

View Full Version : Blender Hair to Lightwave

Chris Jones
08-28-2015, 07:31 AM
Has anyone had success with bringing hair guides from Blender into FiberFX? Strand Maker converts them to unconnected 2 point polys which tells me the vertices are out of order, even though I have "Keep Vertex Order" checked in the .obj export options.

And from what I can ascertain Blender can't turn its "child" hairs into multi-sided polygons like FFX can (or can it?), which cancels out the possibility of freezing my hairdo in there and bypassing FFX altogether.

(c:

Dodgy
08-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Have you tried converting them to curves, merging the curves and then using strand maker? If the curve starts are all in the right place, this will probably work.

Chris Jones
08-28-2015, 09:46 PM
Found a solution! Thanks to Edmark David (David Edmark..?), there's a script that converts the hair into curves. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6425437&postcount=11. You just have to rename it to .ls and load it into LScript in Modeler, which makes the mesh into curves to which FFX can be applied, or it can be converted again with the slightly redundant Strand Maker (which only seems useful for making the guides visible in Layout from what I can tell).

(c:

Chris Jones
08-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Have you tried converting them to curves, merging the curves and then using strand maker? If the curve starts are all in the right place, this will probably work.

Is there a way to convert them into curves directly in LW?

Dodgy
08-28-2015, 10:06 PM
I just tried it and it worked. I did have to flip the curves as they all started at the hair ends rather than the root, but it works.

Dodgy
08-28-2015, 10:10 PM
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/poly2curves/
This one works, but is 32 bit only.
Or:
http://people.dsv.su.se/~dadu9329/evenflow3d/

Not tried this, but it's a script I think.

Dodgy
08-28-2015, 10:25 PM
I tried the script and it seems to work okay, so if you're 64 bit only, give it a go :)

Chris Jones
08-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Thanks for these, the script I linked to above is a fair bit faster and keeps the curve ends the right way around, so that looks to be the best option in the absence of a built-in tool.

stevecullum
08-29-2015, 08:07 AM
Has anyone had success with bringing hair guides from Blender into FiberFX? Strand Maker converts them to unconnected 2 point polys which tells me the vertices are out of order, even though I have "Keep Vertex Order" checked in the .obj export options.

And from what I can ascertain Blender can't turn its "child" hairs into multi-sided polygons like FFX can (or can it?), which cancels out the possibility of freezing my hairdo in there and bypassing FFX altogether.

(c:

Glad you found a solution. Just wondering though, what is the advantage of producing hair guides in Blender instead of Lightwave's native tools?

Chris Jones
08-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Glad you found a solution. Just wondering though, what is the advantage of producing hair guides in Blender instead of Lightwave's native tools?

It's like a more fleshed-out version of Edit Guides, so you can do things like place the guides where you want, cut them (as with scissors), and do all your styling while viewing the effects on the actual child hairs in real-time. And I haven't managed to crash it (yet).

It's the instability of Edit Guides and lack of control in Strand Modeler that initially prompted my move, however I've since found a workaround that lets me use Edit Guides more stably by freezing the sub-d model and working on it in a fresh scene rather than while it's fully rigged, then Polygonizing it and bringing it into the main scene.

I think I'll stick with Blender's system for now though since I already figured out a workflow, and it offers better control and feedback.

(c:

stevecullum
08-31-2015, 09:45 AM
It's like a more fleshed-out version of Edit Guides, so you can do things like place the guides where you want, cut them (as with scissors), and do all your styling while viewing the effects on the actual child hairs in real-time. And I haven't managed to crash it (yet).

It's the instability of Edit Guides and lack of control in Strand Modeler that initially prompted my move, however I've since found a workaround that lets me use Edit Guides more stably by freezing the sub-d model and working on it in a fresh scene rather than while it's fully rigged, then Polygonizing it and bringing it into the main scene.

I think I'll stick with Blender's system for now though since I already figured out a workflow, and it offers better control and feedback.

(c:

Didn't think Blender had that level of control for hair either - will have to check it out. Cheers and good luck with your project! Always astonished by the little demo renders you put out there - makes me look like a complete amateur! :D

prometheus
07-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Bumping this ..even old since I hope to record a process, currently you do not need any script to get blender hair to lightwave, you only need to make sure you convert the particles in blenders modifier tab, then save as obj, once in lightwave you just need to select the strands in edge mode and copy and paste to a new layer, and delete the original polychain strands.

Then applying fiberfx should work without any crashes.

allabulle
07-31-2017, 06:54 PM
I may give it a go if time permits. Seems like an interesting combination.

Thanks for bumping the thread.

prometheus
08-01-2017, 12:41 AM
I may give it a go if time permits. Seems like an interesting combination.

Thanks for bumping the thread.

do that, itīs not that difficult..only two steps really to be aware of, combing and editing hair in blender is in my opinion much better than what we currently have in Lightwave.
you just need to enter the modifier tab and convert the hair to a mesh first in blender, then save out to obj, and the next important step is to remember selecting the strands in edge mode and copy them as such and paste to another layer, then delete the original poly strands..it should
work without crashing lightwave, so no extra plugins needed for conversion.

As for newbies in blender, hair is sort of hidden in blender, since it resides within a particle system and you have to switch particle mode to hair, this is a workflow that however isnīt inituive.

allabulle
08-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Will do. Thanks prometheus.

Oldcode
10-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Thanks for this info. I'm going to try this myself. I've had nothing but frustration trying to create the hair styles I want in Lightwave. I found this really good tutorial that goes over the basics of creating and styling hair in Blender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L3wq6d26yI