PDA

View Full Version : Video Toaster Questions

adrian
12-06-2003, 05:52 AM
Hi VT'ers,

I cuurently use a Pinnacle DC1000 as my capture card which quite frankly is a pain in the derriere (it basically doesn't do what it's supposed to do). For instance, any CG stuff I create in LW I cannot export to a pinnacle file (so in other words I can't integrate any CG stuff with video footage). Mind you, I've only had this problem since upgrading to WindowsXP.

So, what I would like to know is:

a) Does Video Toaster allow you to capture film from Video (Camcorder/VCR etc).
b) How stable is it (under XP Professional)?
c) What EXACTLY does VT allow you to do?
d) If you have one, how do you rate it?

Thanks for any info.

Adrian.

Jim Capillo
12-06-2003, 09:16 AM
1. Film? No (doesn't have a built in telecine). Tape from a camcorder/VCR, yes

2. Very

3. Edit, switch, audio, 3-D, Paint and more

4. 8 out of 10

Dan Hong
12-06-2003, 09:51 AM
Get yourself a demo from a local dealer or videographer who owns a machine. You'll be totally amazed. I've been on the system for 2 years now, and not a day goes by that I don't find something new or faster or better. The integration between the video editing and live switching interfaces, and the 2D and 3D graphics creation tools is awesome.

One word of warning, the VT system is only as reliable as the computer you put it into. It is sensitive to both heat and bad power. It needs a good size case with plenty of fans and a good power supply. I'd suggest having a dealer build you one.

adrian
12-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Dan,

Believe me I've been there, done it and bought the t-shirt with regards to making sure my machine has enough cooling fans - I even run with the cover off now as well.

So my system is now good and reliable.

Thanks for the feedback (Jim also) which has been very helpful - anyone else with ratings?

Adrian.

adrian
12-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Sorry, another question I meant to ask earlier:

Does it work with the PAL system as well as NTSC? (I'm in the UK so we don't use NTSC here) - can't find any mention of it on the VT site.

Adrian.

Jim_C
12-06-2003, 11:03 AM
I give it a 9 out of 10, since I do not have a lot of experience on other sytems, my ignorance is my own bliss.

There are many things the T3 can not do as an editor DIRECTLY in Toaster Edit, that other systems can do. Or so many have said.

BUT with the inclusion of Aura Paint, and Lightwave 3d, with the proper knowledge there really is nothing you see done on tv that the T3 can't do with a little work around here and there. It just doesn't all happen with a right click from the timeline.

yes on PAL.

jim

Aegis
12-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Hi Adrian,

I'm in the UK (North West London) and think the VT[3] is an awesome piece of kit - if you'd like to check out my setup (and have a play!) you're more than welcome - just get a train up from Brighton and I'll meet you at Victoria - email me to arrange it if you're interested...

I use my VT[3] to support my 3D work - D1 PAL capture/playback, editing, CG, framebuffer for LightWave, video legalization, creating video for DVD and lots more besides - it's a very capable system, rock-solid on my (scratchbuilt) PC. Other useful tools to complement VT[3] include TMPGEnc (for MPEG2 encoding), DVD-Lab (DVD authoring) and DFX+ (compositing) although you get a heckuva lot of functionality right out of the box :)

Oh, and I give it 9.5 out of 10 (there's always room for improvement ;))

Scott Bates
12-06-2003, 01:19 PM
There you go Adrian, take up Andrew's offer to go play with a fellow producer's system. Seeing VT is believing! And, as with any system, is the only way you'll know if it's the right one for you. In the mean time keep asking questions and we'll give you our "unbiased" answers ;)

ps - for what I do, VT[x] rates somewhere between 9.1 and 9.9....

ted
12-06-2003, 04:07 PM
For what we do, mostly high end, 30 second broadcast productions.

Overall system, really flexible to be configured in just about any way you need. Scope, monitors, Editor, Switcher, CG, Paint, Animation, you name it, VT's got it.

Editor is about an 8.5, still young, but getting much better. No system is a 10 to me.

Aura, a 7, but mostly because I haven't mastered it yet. Most people love it.

Lightwave, about a 9, but my GFX guys use it not me.

CG, about a 4.5. The only weak link in VT3. We do most GFX with other programs.

Switcher, about an 8. Weakest part is lack of multiple DV sources, which doesn't affect us. Only one DSK track which doesn't affect us since we do mostly post and very little live.

NewTek, you will NOT find a better company to partner with. Their developers welcome feedback and improve our issues better then any company I've ever dealt with, hands down!

Fellow VT Users, this is a close second to why I invested in 3 VT systems, just after the #1 reason, NewTek.
VT's users are the most passionate group of users I've ever seen. They are on the forums day and night helping each other.

The number one thing you gotta consider though, is it right for you. No system will meet everyone's needs. Get a good demo; find a good dealer to build your system and you'll be good to go.
I wish you well.