PDA

View Full Version : Determining Object ID#s / Nodal tagging objects permanently?

jeric_synergy
08-26-2015, 07:04 PM
1) How can one determine the ID# of a Object (or Item)?

2) Is there a nodal tag one can assign to an object that is not affected by Item deletion, reordering, or addition? IOW, one the user can remain confident will always stay the same unless specifically altered by the user?

Sensei
08-26-2015, 08:15 PM
1) How can one determine the ID# of a Object (or Item)?

TrueArt's Node Library
http://www.trueart.eu
Tools > Extended Item Info
eventually
Extended Spot Info
to receive Item ID of currently evaluated motion/object surface.

2) Is there a nodal tag one can assign to an object that is not affected by Item deletion, reordering, or addition? IOW, one the user can remain confident will always stay the same unless specifically altered by the user?

You have to make weight map, and assign it unique value in Modeler.
Then in Layout you can read this weight map, and check whether it has right value using Node Library > Tools > Compare Integer/Scalar (for instance).

jeric_synergy
08-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Sensei, TMK the node editor can see ItemID's, but the USER cannot.

Sensei
08-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Sensei, TMK the node editor can see ItemID's, but the USER cannot.

You mean you want to see exact value?
Like this: 268,435,687 ... ?
What for.. ?
It is changing all the time, when you will rearrange items, delete items, add new item..

jeric_synergy
08-26-2015, 08:42 PM
So I can know what kind of gradient needs to be used to achieve colors.

MonroePoteet
08-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Use the Constant=>Integer node, and pick whatever unique ID you want.

What problem are you trying to solve? Sounds like you've come up with a "solution" which relies on unique, persistent Object ID's, but why?

If they're separate objects, assign separate Surfaces and use that to determine the color. If they're instances, use the Spot=>Instance Info node's Instance ID. If they're polygons in a single object, unweld them and use the Part Info index. If they're polygons in a single object you don't want to unweld, use the Input => Polygon Index in the Surface Editor's node editor. If they're clones of a single object, I'm not sure it's feasible, since any surface changes would affect all clones, including adding a Constant => Integer node.

mTp

jeric_synergy
08-27-2015, 08:52 AM
Use the Constant=>Integer node, and pick whatever unique ID you want.

What problem are you trying to solve?
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?147798-Intersecting-Edges-creative-artistic-use-thereof-Mograph-possibiities&p=1442267#post1442267

I don't see how your solution is applicable in this situation. You don't want to be adding anything to the network anytime you add a new object, it'd be better if each object carried the unique identifier that the network extracted. ItemID may not be the correct parameter, but what might be? Even ItemName (if it exists somewhere) would have clone# issues. A dummy Surface used as a tag would also run into clone# issues.

It's a good puzzle, no? :D

Sensei
08-27-2015, 05:20 PM
How to color clones video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHSPseh8hU

You don't have to have literally clones. It's just a matter of what is in brackets in name of object.
So rename object to object (value). And read that value from Node Editor.

jeric_synergy
08-27-2015, 06:13 PM
How to color clones video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHSPseh8hU

You don't have to have literally clones. It's just a matter of what is in brackets in name of object.
So rename object to object (value). And read that value from Node Editor.
Ooooo, that's a good one-- I'll give that a whirl -- initial before-trying fear=LW won't import a filename with brackets.

I >>REALLY<< wish LW3dG would support ALIASES for objects, like AE allows you to do with Layer Names. The original name is STILL THERE, but the alias can be used when it's more useful, as in the case of many cloned layers.

I also wish NODE NAMES could be toggled between their user-assigned names and their default names, preferably by a hotkey like SHIFT.

Sensei
08-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Extended Item Info has Parent Item output..
So if you attach object to null, rename null,
and use Parent to read null's clone-index,
you won't have to change object file name.

MonroePoteet
08-28-2015, 08:51 AM
OK, thanks for the thread pointer. Helps to have a context for the question.

I don't have LW2015 so can't test it, but I'd just try using the Color Layer node with a type of "Gradient", an Input Type of "Distance to Object", a blending mode of "Normal", and select the specific object from the pulldown. Set up the gradient with whatever color(s) you want, with an alpha channel to make it fall off and show through the underlying edge colors. A "Step" type keys on the Gradient if you want a sharp falloff. Chain them together for multiple objects. Sample scene attached using the "Other Edges" edge type.

The edges effected by each color layer will be within a spherical distance from each object's pivot point, so if the objects are "too close" together, whichever Color Layer is later in the node graph will take precidence.

Probably not what you were looking for, but might be feasible in some circumstances. By using the Object selection pulldown, Layout manages the internal ItemID's, etc.

mTp

jeric_synergy
08-28-2015, 09:36 AM
That might be interesting visually, and I'll (maybe) try it -- I don't think it'll work as I envision, BUT it might be an interesting, rainbow-y (if one doesn't use stepped keys in the gradient) effect-- intersection lines would all have the same color as they approach the pivot of the display object. --...unless one ADDED the ItemID# to the distance........ (dammit)

Submitted a request for a nodal OUTPUT that would give a.....ummm... SPOT output for Edges. Basically an output for all the different Edge Types. I'm pretty sure nodal wizards could do good work with such information.

One hacky thing: if you make the Surface of an intersection object 100% transparent and keep the Edge Width down to low numbers, you can put the Intersection Edge on the intersection object rather than the display object. This doesn't work with all geometries, but it approaches some amount of utility. Of course, it's quite laborious.

jeric_synergy
08-28-2015, 11:07 AM
BTW, TrueArt's Extended Item Info has an output that can specify #of children, so if you are free manipulate the # of children, you can attach a permanent # to an item and identify it that way. Just another possibility.

Sensei also mentioned that you can add in a dummy parent, and the #in the parenthesis is evaluated and available. --That's probably less clumsy.

MonroePoteet
08-28-2015, 11:51 AM
That might be interesting visually, and I'll (maybe) try it -- I don't think it'll work as I envision, BUT it might be an interesting, rainbow-y (if one doesn't use stepped keys in the gradient) effect-- intersection lines would all have the same color as they approach the pivot of the display object. --...unless one ADDED the ItemID# to the distance........ (dammit)

Submitted a request for a nodal OUTPUT that would give a.....ummm... SPOT output for Edges. Basically an output for all the different Edge Types. I'm pretty sure nodal wizards could do good work with such information.

One hacky thing: if you make the Surface of an intersection object 100% transparent and keep the Edge Width down to low numbers, you can put the Intersection Edge on the intersection object rather than the display object. This doesn't work with all geometries, but it approaches some amount of utility. Of course, it's quite laborious.

Well, I hope you'll try it. I've attached a modified version of the scene you posted in the other thread with the Color Layer set up as described. I think all you'll have to do is change the node connection from "Other Edges" to "Intersection Edges" and adjust the size(s) of the gradient fall off to get the effect you want. As I said, I don't have 2015 so I can't test it myself. Maybe I'm wrong.

The three modifications I made to your scene / object(s) were: 1) add some subdivisions to the Layer1 rectangle so I could see what I was doing with "Other Edges" (not required for Intersection Edges), 2) moved the pivot points of the Layer2, Layer3 and Layer4 geometries to center on them so the Distance to Object had a correct center point, and 3) change the Node network to use the Color Layer method I suggest.

mTp