PDA

View Full Version : digital fusion 8 almost here

vonpietro
08-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Digital fusion 8 is in beta

Nothing really new, except alot of legacy stuff has been rewritten - the guy told me at the black magic event today in burbank. Showing off 3d in fusion multiplaning techniques and presets for smoky particles using fast noise.

Got alittle info on general fusion use from an experienced fusion guy.
=)

krokodove by the way is a free set of plugins for fusion- although i dont think they work with the free fusion - you have to get the studio version. (so i've been told)

For any who dont know - digital fusion is a great companion software for lightwave as it's a full film compositing suite. Handles dpx files as well as exr!!
v8 is slated to be free version as well

something nice was some presets were said to be included with 8 -
they had a nice lens flare preset dir
particle presets - lava, smoke, leaves, snow, exaust plume
and materials presets
so i'm looking forward to seeing that in 8.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
i just checked it's still 7 -
nothing about 8 beta - they said it would be up today at the show, but i guess not, so keep an eye out

wesleycorgi
08-26-2015, 08:14 PM
I was also at the Blackmagic Design event in Burbank today. I haven't used Fusion for a few years. But watching Jeremy Nelson from Flash Film Works inspired me. In one of the projects, Jeremy mentioned that they used Lightwave for the 3D models.

I think a lot of the shortcomings that people find in Lightwave could be made up via Fusion. I'm just waiting for the Mac version now. Today and at Siggraph, they said this is a few weeks away.

vonpietro
08-26-2015, 11:12 PM
I only caught the early demo
and got to ask questions after the demo
so i missed the spy movie breakdown.

the sandwiches were pretty nice though =)

what made you stop using fusion? what do you use now?

50one
08-27-2015, 01:57 AM
Couple of days ago due to some itchy fingers the beta was released and couple of people managed to download it.

50one
08-27-2015, 05:52 AM
...OK, so the beta is here. As always no changelog...If I were to decide between Fusion and something else by looking at the free version I would probably look elsewhere...

Surrealist.
08-27-2015, 06:11 AM
Coolness. I have been learning Fusion a little on the side and enjoying it so far. Good to see development moving.

wesleycorgi
08-27-2015, 06:36 AM
what made you stop using fusion? what do you use now?

At the time (around early v6), my management was behind me using various video tools. I used Fusion for stuff like projection mapping on motion sweeps on static images. With subsequent management changes, they wouldn't let me maintain the yearly license fees. Also the Mac that I had the install of Fusion under Parallels "blew up."

Now, I use mostly After Effects. With Blackmagic Design making a free version, I am looking to bone up again on Fusion (mostly for non-work projects). I'm waiting for the Mac version, but I'll probably load up on my Surface to play around in the mean time. When I spoke to the folks at Siggraph, I asked if their was an upgrade path for my license to the Mac studio version. They weren't sure, but they were willing to talk to work something out.

wesleycorgi
08-27-2015, 06:40 AM
Oh, I didn't realize, the Fusion 8 beta mentioned includes the Mac version! Downloading now.

vonpietro
08-27-2015, 11:42 AM
hehe - i forgot to mention - the demo was on a mac - its open gl device driver kept crashing 8 - so beware =)
there is a setting that lets you switch to opengl -as soon as he turned it on - crashola

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
beta 8 is now online at the website!!

Guy said mostly legacy fixes, so i guess that mean s fixing old code.
there was no bin templates - i was hoping for that.

Greenlaw
08-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Yes, the KKD plugins are a must have! I've been using them as far back at Fusion 3 or 4. Some of my favorites are the two rays tools, Seamless Loop, and Vector Visualizer (great for checking the directions in your Lightwave motion vectors.)

But, you're correct, unfortunately you can't use third party plugins in the free Fusion.

It's one of the reasons I'm still using Fusion 6.4 in my studio but upgrading has been tempting for a while now. I'll wait and see what's in store for 8. :)

G.

Farhad_azer
08-28-2015, 02:58 AM
Does it have lens flare effect in free/commercial versions?

if not then is it possible via plugin?

I think u will agree that lens flare by LW is totally dated and boring.

50one
08-28-2015, 03:32 AM
Does it have lens flare effect in free/commercial versions?

if not then is it possible via plugin?

I think u will agree that lens flare by LW is totally dated and boring.

yes, the flare node is included in free version....along with the page curl plugin:)

allabulle
08-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Is there a Linux version? I remember something in the lines that next version (when v7 launched) would be available for Linux too.

Edit: I'll check it myself in a couple of days anyway.

aquinde
08-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Finally a Mac version?!
I've felt compelled to give up using Combustion* recently and have been trying to re-learn After Effects, but the workflow is so tedious for what I do.
I'll have to look into this.

Whelkn
08-28-2015, 08:54 PM
I was also at the Blackmagic Design event in Burbank today. I haven't used Fusion for a few years. But watching Jeremy Nelson from Flash Film Works inspired me. In one of the projects, Jeremy mentioned that they used Lightwave for the 3D models.

I think a lot of the shortcomings that people find in Lightwave could be made up via Fusion. I'm just waiting for the Mac version now. Today and at Siggraph, they said this is a few weeks away.

Thanks man glad you liked it. I always feel stupid doing those things.

Jeremy

vonpietro
08-28-2015, 11:48 PM
at the black magic expo -
the guy showing me had a preset bin- about 40 lensflare templates.
said it would be in 8 but so far it didn't show up in the beta
so lets hope it shows up in the actual release.

oclrays tool crashes 8 beta so far

Farhad_azer
08-30-2015, 01:00 AM
wow, 40 lens template, did it also have lots of options/parameters to design our own lens?

this was a great news anyway. thank you vonpietro.

vonpietro
08-30-2015, 01:09 AM
it may be that i was playing with the studio version - i was also on the mac when i saw bin with the templates.