PDA

View Full Version : Intersecting Edges: creative / artistic use thereof? -- Mograph possibiities.

jeric_synergy
08-25-2015, 08:57 AM
I'm not an artistic person (except for UI considerations, beyotches!) but when I watched Lino's presentation on 2015 Edges:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_R3wBU80og

...it struck me that the INTERSECTION EDGES facility needed to be trumpeted a bit. It's different (tmk) from traditional LW Edges in that it's the intersection of TWO DIFFERENT OBJECTS, not just the geometry of ONE object. Which means that any motion you can concoct with intersection objects can result in a moving line on a surface.

Here's the simplest possible example: a VPR screenie . In the actual LWS the gears are rotating.

Imagine a "wavey cylinder": as it passes thru a plane, the intersecting Edge would be a growing/contracting ring. Make the cylindar a toroid and it'll loop.

For more 'graphic' oriented animators I think INTERSECTION EDGES offer a wealth of possibilities.

(I'm not artistic, but I've had luck managing artistic people.)

ernpchan
08-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Yes, this feature is a fantastic new addition. It would be great if they added the ability to exclude objects from others so you don't get unwanted edge drawing.

jeric_synergy
08-25-2015, 09:28 AM
One thing at a time, young Jedi.....

What's Baker's Conundrum? Something about the best features generating the most feature requests.....

jeric_synergy
08-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Well, crap, now you got me started thinking about it:

How about if Edge color could be defined by the intersecting object, not the "display" object. Heck, probably they can with nodes. That would be a good tutorial.

I guessing YES (it seems a pretty safe bet), so: How can you tag an object so that you can easily control which color it manifests when it intersects the display object? Give it an identifier THAT WON'T CHANGE IF YOU ADD ITEMS to the scene??

jeric_synergy
08-26-2015, 08:11 PM
rats, it's never as easy as one thinks (or hopes): I was trying to get the effect of "per object intersection edge colors"-- there's four Objects in this LWS, I figured the IDs would at least increment, but no go.

IDK a way of determining the ItemID thru the interface-- is there a way?

Suggestions?

daforum
08-27-2015, 04:50 AM
rats, it's never as easy as one thinks (or hopes): I was trying to get the effect of "per object intersection edge colors"-- there's four Objects in this LWS, I figured the IDs would at least increment, but no go.

IDK a way of determining the ItemID thru the interface-- is there a way?

Suggestions?

Not a suggestion unfortunately.
I just find your test very interesting....

jeric_synergy
08-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Not a suggestion unfortunately.
I just find your test very interesting....

If you can get it to work, let me know.

I don't know what kind of #s ItemID kicks out, and TMK there's no easy way to see 'em (just like it's a bit difficult to view Point Indices, although it is possible).

RudySchneider
08-27-2015, 08:28 AM
I have to say, jeric-synergy, if nothing else you are relentless.

dpont
08-27-2015, 09:19 AM
You should try the TypeID,
it doesn't have the Item Type prefix.

Denis.

jeric_synergy
08-27-2015, 09:21 AM
OOOOoHHHHHHhh, I thought that was just "Object/Bone/Light/Cam" identifier. THANKS.

jeric_synergy
08-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Gotta go to work, but here's the scene if anybody wants to play around with it:

vonpietro
08-27-2015, 01:43 PM
its an awesome feature - full of promise for cel artists

I particularlly liked in the demo when he shows instanced squares cutting out panels on a ship - super

Wade
08-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Ok off topic - sort of. I just learned how to paste keys. :) Have always worked the graph editor but it is easy to do right there on the expanded time line - silly me. Was just working with Jeric's scene and wanted the shapes moving and in a repetitive way.

There is much to LW that I know I have never seen and that having worked with it since 6.0

jeric_synergy
08-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Gotta go to work, but here's the scene if anybody wants to play around with it:

Looking at that, I don't know why I thought that would work at all. :(

There's no information flow telling the network "this spot has an Intersection Edge", so there can't be control over the color. Totally incorrect, beyond wrong.

OTOH, it does suggest a future Node, or nodal output for a spot info node. "Edge Type". :sigh:

Wade
08-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Looking at that, I don't know why I thought that would work at all. :(

There's no information flow telling the network "this spot has an Intersection Edge", so there can't be control over the color. Totally incorrect, beyond wrong.

OTOH, it does suggest a future Node, or nodal output for a spot info node. "Edge Type". :sigh:

Make a feature request! - please

jeric_synergy
08-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Make a feature request! - please
They are tired of me. I'm pretty sure all my feature requests are tossed.

hcoat
08-28-2015, 07:52 PM
At the risk of missing the point, I just want to mention that the effect that I think you are trying to achieve is quite easy if you set the line intersection line color and width on each of the three objects instead of the base.

If the goal is to use the node editor for the base you could get close using color layers but you will get some bleed over when the objects cross.

Sorry if I didn't understand your intent.

jeric_synergy
08-29-2015, 11:26 AM
I mentioned that work-around in the other thread (on nodal), but the problem with it includes:

1) It's laborious--every object, which could be numerous, needs to be set manually.
2) It only works (esthetically) for certain kinds of geometry.
3) It limits the practical width of the intersection line, since the line is going UP the side of the intersection object, rather than laying in the plane of the display object.

I also wanted to see if it was doable nodally. And especially for things like instanced objects. With instancing the user might want to use the index to set the colors, since there'd be dozens.